Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Arden Park--East Boston History « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jim999
Username: Jim999

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anybody share information about the Arden Park--East Boston neighborhood? Some of the houses are really spectacular. Would love to have more neighborhood information or historic pictures. I believe the neighborhood was once home to Dodges, Fishers, Kresges, Hudsons, and others.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 629
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Jim. Welcome.

Don't forget about Prophet Jones. He resided at 75 Arden Park.

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=182&categ ory=people

The exterior picture of his house in the article is incorrect. There's a recent picture of his house (and others) at:
http://detroitrising.com/arden parkeastboston.htm

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2695
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of links with basic info:

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/hi storic/districts/arden_park.pd f

http://www.detroit1701.org/Ard enPark_Hist.htm

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2696
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and welcome to the Forum!!

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J.L. Hudson's address was 16 East Boston I believe.

Asbury
Username: Asbury

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't they split these homes into 2 family homes or condos so people could afford them? Right now it seems some are not being well taken care of. Home owners rather than renters would hopefully maintain their homes?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3291
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why don't they split these homes into 2 family homes or condos so people could afford them?

I don't think they can. I think there is some kind of code or rule against it.

Asbury

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can they change it? I have seen areas where big old homes where renovated and made into condos while some remain singe family. Just seems to me there would be more of a demand, more taxes etc.

Neilr

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why don't they split these homes into 2 family homes or condos so people could afford them?

I think that such a neighborhood would find itself on a very slippery slope if they gave up single-family occupancy rules. I believe that the specter of East Grand Blvd. hangs over the historic districts in Detroit.

quote:

I have seen areas where big old homes where renovated and made into condos while some remain singe family. Just seems to me there would be more of a demand, more taxes etc.

Could it work? Sure. But I believe that the chances of it working here are slim. I think it would be more likely to have homes converted to foster care, SRO, or halfway houses. Then you'd no longer have a demand for single family occupancy.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr is right... while allowing condos might seem to help in the short term, ultimately it would probably destroy the neighborhood. (And I don't think "destroy" is too strong a word; a substantial number of homes on East Grand Blvd have burned down/been torn down. That said, there are still some good blocks here and there along East Grand Blvd.)

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Condos might not harm the area as long as you required them to be really big condos--some of those houses could have 3 2000 sqft condos easily.

But if you start having lodging houses or teeny apartments or something, then you would probably see East Grand Boulevard.

Neilr

Post Number: 637
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

there are still some good blocks here and there along East Grand Blvd.

Absolutely. The block between Charlevoix and Vernor is one of the best. My comment was not meant to disparage EGB; but to point out the danger to neighborhoods in Detroit with very large houses that loose their single family zoning.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asbury, this notion of splitting up larger homes is what doomed brush park and most of the cass corridor and extensive parts of E and W grand blvd. It's been tried, over and over, with the same doomed outcome....slumlords, slum tenants, and eventual destruction.

Keep in mind, many of these buildings are so well constructed that 30, 40, even 50 years of neglect may not be so noticeable outside, but that leaky roof and the pair of vice grips on the shower/tub fixtures are showing their damage on the inside, not to mention the mortar that fell out from between the bricks near what used to be a gutter.

Asbury

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy I agree splitting up old homes and making multifamily does not revitalize a neighborhood. You bring in the slum lords, and rooming houses etc. I should have been more clear in my post. I have see in area it work when some of the homes are made into condos. The reason why I suggest is first you need home owners and second you want the younger people just starting out. People with children would probably consider other areas first due to education. Like I said I have seen this work in other areas. Not tenants. Large upscale units and home owners.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Large upscale units and home owners.

----------------------

Actually, its been done in other cities with excellent results. In Boston, where homes are out of reach, larger mansions that sat on grounds with a few acres were subdivided into 2 or 3 homes as well as building new homes on the actual estate. This allowed people to own, as well as not letting the massive mansion fall apart. The areas that this was done was in an upscale neighborhood, so nothing went down hill. 25 years later the area is upscale and everyones happy.The exterior of the mansion did not change in looks, it was just gutted and made into 2 or 3 condominimums. I think it was the Cardinal Spellman estate outside of Boston in Brookline......
Again, the place is awesome and did not go downhill. Good solution to a problem.....Jane

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.