Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Family farms outside of Detroit area « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I was born in Detroit and grew up in Dearborn and Allen Park, I had 3 uncles that had small(40 arces)farms, with all the trimmings(barns,chickens,cattl e,other out-buildings,etc. The sad thing is that 2 out of the 3 farms have been taken over by subdivisions and the third farm had the house torn down and another one built. The first two where out on 25mile/Romeo Plank area, the other was on Cryderman up on the north end of Macomb county. I really loved going out to the farms, sad that things change so,people die or move away.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on how you define a "farm", the only major farming operation I can think of in what is an otherwise urbanized area is the Long Family farm in Commerce Township. Even though they sold off land for Huron Valley Hospital and Walled Lake Northern High School, they still own and operate a fair-sized operation in the Commerce and Bogie Lake area. You can see some of the farm and land here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&t type=&q=commerce+township+mich igan&ie=UTF8&ll=42.600672,-83. 496995&spn=0.006492,0.021629&t =h&z=16&om=1

No idea on how long they continue to do that but since the family has political connections in the community, they probably have a fair amount of say in how long they'll get to stay around.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4795
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a family pumpkin farm (I forgot where) somewhere on, perhaps, 5 Mile--west of Detroit.

Unfortunately, the old farm that was around 150 years old is now being (or already has been) demoed on Newburgh between Warren and Joy. Last month, the front door of the house was open to the elements and much of the old market and greenhouses was disappearing.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Few family farms left by me, but I support the ones that are left. (Foglers farm - Rochester rd.)
In Oakland Twp. they had a referendum vote over a year ago on a huge project that would have razed/bulldozed over 1000 acres of prairie grass and woods for homes.(We voted NO). Now we know that the market has crashed, and thank God that land is not half built,vacant and muddy now!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clyde Smiths on Newburgh, never thought that place would go. is the turkey farm on 5mile in livonia [roberti,s] still there?

Novine

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The turkey farm was there a couple of months ago. But it's shrunk in size. Half of it is now a new subdivision. Can you imagine living next to that? But people do in brand-new houses.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i ain,t that old but canton was the sticks to me lots of family farms even into the 90,s. big joke between me and a co-worker, we were gonna get outta the printing business and go milk cows at the Gill farm? on Ridge rd. Livonia still had a few farms when i was growing up.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6962
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Canton TWP has a lot of family farms just west of Lilly Rd. Now its suburban sprawl all the way to the county line and Salem TWP.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 981
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My relatives were farmers in the White Lake area since the 1900's. My cousin recently passed away, but he had one of only two dairy farms left in Oakland county.

Novine

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Now its suburban sprawl all the way to the county line and Salem TWP."

Are there any working farms left in Canton? I was told that back in the 70s, voters rejected a proposal that would have purchased the development rights on Canton farms to keep them in operation. Instead, they opted for sprawl that has spread from east to west across Canton. Just across the county line, Superior Township has been waging a battle against sprawl and for farmland preservation for quite some time. If they're successful, it will be the only thing that prevents the sprwal heading west from Canton from spreading all the way west to Ann Arbor.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.