Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Green Business in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 696
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As many of you know I am very interested in green business and changing the way many Detroiters think about doing business within the city. I thought it may be a good idea to try to put together a list of the existing companies that we feel exude these principals so that we could better support them as we move toward the future.

This is a current michigan guide but it misses many of the Detroit based businesses.
http://www.coopamerica.org/pub s/greenpages/results.cfm?categ ory=&state=MI&keywords=&Input= Search

"Green businesses: operate in ways that solve, rather than cause, both environmental and social problems.

These businesses adopt principles, policies, and practices that improve the quality of life for their customers, their employees, communities, and the environment."

Ones that I noticed it missed off the top of my head were:
Avanti Press
Avalon Bakery
Architectural Salvage Warehouse
Back Alley Bikes
Gleaners Food Bank
The Greening of Detroit
Earthworks Detroit
Recycle Here
Please help list others...

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on January 09, 2008)

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These Businesses/Buildings Recycle:

Recy-clean
Capital Waste
Slows BBQ
Capuchin Soup Kitchen Meldrum
Amsterdam Espresso
Techtown
Leland Lofts
Canfield Lofts
Brainard Street Apartments
Avalon
WCCCD Bookstores

These Business use Sustainable Green Products:
Avalon
Capuchin Soup Kitchen Meldrum
DTE Energy Cafeteria
Cobo Hall
Masco World Headquarters
Roeper School
Amsterdam Espresso
Bean & Leaf
Java Exchange
Ridley's Home Cooking
Recycle Here!
Koinia Cafe

(Message edited by the recycling people on January 10, 2008)

(Message edited by the recycling people on January 10, 2008)

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Businesses interested in being greener, you can contact:

matt at recy-clean.com

or

steve at michigangreensafeproducts.com

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 697
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot Warm Training
I am sure there are many others...

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 452
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

US Steel on Zug Island? No?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler and General Motors--they did not leave their former factory sites to rot, they demolished those former facilities and cleaned the land. Chrysler built their new factory on the site of the old (Jefferson assy) and GM cleaned up the Cadillac Clark street plant site and is active in the redevelopment of that land. These are very expensive projects that are not mentioned very often.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.