Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit-Pennsylvania coincidence « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going once again through my huge collection of family photos, I came across a current photo of a log house that was owned by my paternal family line in the 1700s. It's a historic building in the town of Downingtown, Pennsylvania. But in looking at it, the construction date of 1701 struck me. I imagine these logs were all being fitted together about the time that Cadillac was landing on the north bank of the Detroit River.
Just thought it was a nice coincidence in my family history.

log house

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5934
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post Ray1936. Did your last name use to be Downing? Amazing connection.

How do you move to Detroit's Westside when your family owned a town?

If jjaba's name were Lincoln, he would stay in the capital of Nebraska. If his name were Johnson, he would stay in Johnson City. If his name was John Denver,.........

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4438
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this it?
http://www.ok2try.com/subwebs/ downingtown/crossroadspan.php

Here too?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4798
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somehow, the year you presented isn't accurate. In 1701, all Detroit had of any consequence was a fort and a few settlers. Many of those who came with Cadillac then were the equivalent of taxi drivers, and they most likely went on to the next fare. Cabs seem to do that...

Even forty years later, Detroit was small with some ribbon farms, and most of its farming settlers also lived within the fort, and rarely were more than forty French soldiers garrisoned at the fort at any given time.And the fort was tiny--192 ft by 192 ft (about 1/4 a block in size).

Pere Marquette (1668) and Nicolet (1634) entered Oisconsing (Wisconsin) and Illinois, BTW. In 1673, Marquette first entered Chicago. Marquette had been in Wisconsin for a few years already by that time.

It was only in 1679 that the first French explorer to take note of Detroit--Hennepin--first passed by Detroit. (It's unsure if he ever landed in Detroit instead of merely passing by it on the Detroit River.) So, by that reckoning, Chicago is at least some six years older than Detroit. And both Chicago and Detroit are several years younger than Green Bay, WI. That's probably why the Packers beat the Lions and Bears so handily.
Chicago: Early days

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 10, 2008)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4312
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think I would use that reckoning. The beginning of a city is when it is first settled. In 1701, Detroit was settled. Somewhere around the revolutionary War, Chicago was settled.

A remark I made earlier about the value of this photo got deleted. Anyway, it should give us an idea of the earliest structures in Detroit, having been settled, as we all know, in 1701.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting to note (never thought about it) that Chicago considers its age based on its date of charter, but Detroit considers its based on its date of settlement.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and at the same time in 1701,Jjaba was living on the western edge of the settlement of Detroit. i envy folks like you Ray who can keep up and trace your family history.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 541
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray - you truly have some wonderful family treasures!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.