Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Someone please adopt the stray Downtown Detroit Australian Cattle Dog » Archive through January 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know some of you must have seen this dog.

Since at least September, almost every morning at around 8 AM we saw this dog on the hill that is surrounded by I-375 and I-75 just north of Ford Field. It would sit on the hill, alert, ears at attention, watching the traffic. It looked like some kind of shepherd dog that was trying to figure out how to "herd" the freeway traffic. Remember this is an island surrounded by freeways.

I wondered how this dog was surviving. I thought maybe a homeless person living under one of the overpasses was feeding it. I got curious after a couple of months and one Saturday went to take a closer look from behind Ford Field looking across the freeway ramp. There was the dog trotting around the hill. There were also 5-6 people trying to catch it with nets. They told me they worked in one of the nearby office buildings, had been feeding the dog, and were trying to catch it to get it to a shelter. I wished them luck.

After that I did not see the dog on the hill again and assumed those folks had succeeded.

A few days later the dog shows up in our neighborhood in Lafayette Park and has been here for several weeks. It is young, cute and VERY smart. And clever and elusive. Many of us fed it and tried to catch it. It would look you right in the eye but never let you get closer than about ten feet. After several weeks one of the neighbors, with the advice of the Anticruelty Society people (who knew of the dog and had been trying to catch it for months), was able to "train" the dog to come to her porch by feeding it every day at the same time. Eventually the dog trusted her and she got a leash on it. She says the dog responds to "sit," "heel," and "roll over." It appears to be a pure bred Australian Cattle Dog, one of the very smartest breeds in the world.

The Michigan Humane Society on I-75 in Detroit picked up the dog on Saturday January 5. I am hearing they are saying they dont think it is "adoptable" which means it will be destroyed any day, unless someone were to volunteer to take it and take care of it. But the neighbor who finally got it to trust her and put a leash on it says it was licking her in the face and eating out of her hand! This is not a wild or mean dog, just wary of strangers. If you or anyone you know wants a dog, this is a very special one. I am hearing that the Humane Society is not going to keep this dog past Wednesday.

I would not normally be posting about something like this but I am sure some of you have seen this dog and know what I am talking about.

Here is the best image I could find that looks very similar to this dog. The real dog is younger and cuter.

Downtown Detroit Australian Cattle Dog

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man. That is upsetting.

All those people went to such great lengths to try and save that dog, and now it faces a potentially worse situation, scared in a cage then put to sleep.

Its making me very upset thinking about it.

I wish I could take it, but I already have my hands full.

I will hope for the best.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in Arkansas. I would help if I could. Poor thing was fine with everyone feeding it. Why did they have to take it to the Humane(?) Society?

Gianni

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's a Blue Heeler and yes, on of the smartest breeds, very loyal and loving. Damn good with kids, you'll never need a babysitter!! Once his heart is won over and he trusts again he'll be the best dog anyone has every owned. If I were in Detroit or anywhere near it I'd adopt him in a heartbeat. The best thing for him would be to go to a farm where he has a job to do...he is a herding dog and if he's like the others I've been around will herd quite well from instinct with little or no training. Alas, I'm in Florida....

(Message edited by pamequus on January 08, 2008)

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's a Blue Heeler and yes, one of the smartest breeds, very loyal and loving. Damn good with kids, you'll never need a babysitter!! Once his heart is won over and he trusts again he'll be the best dog anyone has every owned. If I were in Detroit or anywhere near it I'd adopt him in a heartbeat. The best thing for him would be to go to a farm where he has a job to do...he is a herding dog and if he's like the others I've been around will herd quite well from instinct with little or no training. Alas, I'm in Florida....

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any update on the dog? Humane Society is pretty quick putting animals down.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3543
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there's an Australian sheep dog rescue organization in Ann Arbor. I'm searching for contact info now. They should contact the Humane Society directly.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will phone calls to the Humane Society imploring them to hold onto the dog for a while help?

Could people take food for the dog until he's adopted so that the HS can't say that they can't afford to keep him?

I would call them to show my support. Would it make a difference?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3544
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.petfinder.com/shelt ers/acdrescuemi.html

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4447
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps send a link to this thread as well, so they can see there is concern in the community for this pup. Just in case that helps.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 690
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had a job right now I would take him in a heart beat.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will offer deeply discounted dog daycare, boarding and grooming to any forumer who adopts this dog.

I saw him on Xmas day in the park, and he would not come near me or my dogs. Cute dog though.

Gianni

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think it can hurt to call Michigan Humane Society in Detroit. I know others are doing what they can to get them to give this dog some time.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 535
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dog

Is this the dog?

quote:

More About SheilaThis pet is up to date with routine shots.
This pet has been altered.

My Contact InfoMichigan Anti-Cruelty Society
Detroit, MI

Phone: (313) 891-1088

Gianni

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, that is not the dog.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called the human society in August about this dog.
I would see him sleeping under a tree on that same overpass area. I can't believe he survived all those months without some one looking after him.
Was there no homeless person around the area?

Gianni

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People from the office buildings nearby were feeding him.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A relative of mine had a dog of this type. He lived on a big piece of land up in the thumb area. As mentioned above it would be best if he could be on a farm with something to do.
If these dogs get bored they'll chew your house up. An AC dog certainly isn't for everyone.

(Message edited by rjk on January 08, 2008)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I emailed the petfinder girl, Jan. I would've called, but it says to call after 6pm.

WOuld someone call one of the tv stations to do a story on the dog?

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am the owner of a beautiful and well-trained Golden Retriever.

Not to be a buzz-kill here but if the dog won't approach anyone in any circumstance what makes you think he'd be a good pet or at the very least adoptable right now ?

Gianni

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They got a collar on him and he was licking the lady in the face who collared him. But understandably he may not be in the trusting mood right now.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ACDs are notorious for being wary of strangers - including other dogs. They are a good dog for the right person but if you don't know what you're getting into and/or expecting an easy to train obedient lapdog ala a Labrador Retriever, you'd be in for a nightmare.

My parents own an ACD whom is good enough to win everything she's been entered in. She is from a champion bloodline and is seen as a prime example of a "good" ACD. But being a former Labrador owner, that dog sure better die before my parents because it'll be back at the breeder in two nanoseconds if it doesn't. Like many ACDs, it's a one person dog (I swear, I think it dreams of having half human, half dog offspring with my father) and while we're reasonably confident it won't do more than try to herd my kid, it is NOT a dog for the city and a family with a kid only slightly taller than it is.

I'd be willing to be the dog was put out before it was a year old. ACD puppyhood sounds like hell on earth.

Gianni

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Courtney what you have said is exactly what I've been learning about this breed. One person dog. Wary of strangers and other dogs. Super smart. I actually heard that they are not allowed in obedience competitions with other breeds because they would win all the time. They are in a category of their own. I just wish the people had realized about the Michigan Humane Society Detroit's policies and tried to get it to a "no kill" shelter first.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 693
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be perfect if I could have this dog if I lived on my family's 100 acres up by Indian River. I am fimiliar with healers since my ex girlfriends dad had 2 but they are a very different dog than most. Ironically one of his escaped about 3 months ago and was never found but that was up by Flint doubt it could be the same dog.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 536
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dog

Is this the dog?

It is at the Bergman Center in westland

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, do tell. Is that the Westland Animal Shelter on Newburgh?

Gianni

Post Number: 333
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not the dog. It is at the Michigan Humane Society Detroit shelter.

Latest report, the dog is acting better and will be evaluated for adoption. The MHS people are reconsidering, are learning about ACD's, and have given the dog at least one more day. I don't know if any of the ACD rescue centers, including some who were contacted through this thread, have contacted MHS Detroit.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

many of the posters here live out of the city, or alone in the city or know people who live outside of the city who have land for this dog. Why hasn't anyone stepped up to the plate to save this animal?

I'm kind of surprised that no one has said, "I got him!".

Maybe they should've left him to love his freedom on the hill by the freeway.

I want to say again that a call should be made to a local tv station to do a human interest story on this dog. The original post story was good. I have a lovely mental picture of this dog sitting by the freeway watching/herding the traffic.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump!

keepin' it on top as much as possible