Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Wtg detroit » Archive through January 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS IS NOT MY BAND, but I found it on livjournal and thought I would repost.

To Whom It May Concern:

On Saturday, December 29th, between 12:00am and 1:30am in Detroit, Michigan at the intersection of Wabash & Michigan, a U-Haul trailer that held all of the musical equipment of The Pullman Strike, a touring band from Chicago, Illinois, was stolen off the back of their vehicle.

One witness said she heard something outside of her establishment around 12:30am and saw a white van back up to the trailer, unhitch it, attached it to their van and drove away.

The trailer was a 5x8 U-Haul trailer painted orange and white with a decal of South Dakota on the side. The license for the trailer was an Idaho plate with license number 182CAL.

The trailer held all of the band members' merchandise and musical equipment and now they have been completely robbed their instruments that enabled them to write, record and play music.

Below is a detailed list of the items that were inside the trailer at the time it was stolen. The band is asking that anyone who works at or frequents pawn shops, music stores and other establishments of the like where this equipment might try to be sold be on the lookout for their equipment. Also look for the equipment at other venues such as other artists' shows.

The list is extensive, but any one piece may help in finding the rest of the equipment. If any equipment is found, please contact the Detroit Police or The Pullman Strike at the contact information provided below.

Adam Melberth
Cell Phone: (608) 346-7334
E-mail: amelberth@gmail.com

The Pullman Strike is extremely thankful for any effort and assistance put forth to help recover the stolen equipment.

Thank you.

Bass:
---Ampeg SVT-Classic Bass Head
Description: "DCA" spray painted in white on top of the head, only two plastic feet in front instead of all four, two velcro strips on the top front-left side where a tuner goes, gain knob is broken and detaches easily
---Ampeg 410B Bass Cabinet
Description: comes with a homemade "road case" made of cardboard and black electrical/duct tape with "A&F" spray painted in red on the front top-left side of the case, cloth outside not tolex, rubber feet on bottom have been replace with Ernie Ball casters
---Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz Bass
Description: black with white pickguard, black block inlays, missing one of three tone/volume knobs at the top, straplocks are installed with a black nylon strap, comes with a black case with three gold locks, green velvet inside with compartment in the middle under the neck, case will hold Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner with two Velcro strips on bottom, AC adapter, short double 90 degree input cable, red coiled California cable, various tools, an Altoids box full of picks

Drums:
---Ayotte 3 piece maple drumset .
Color: Blue.
Drum sizes are as follows:
22 inch kickdrum with wood hoops.
13 inch mounted tom.
16 inch floor tom.
Description: Light blue painters tape wrapped around the inside back hoop where the kickdrum pedal sits, drums would most likely be housed in cases that are black and have stickers pasted around the handle. The stickers are of the following bands: Nymb, Mock Orange, Bedford Drive, The Zap Toys, Holy Roman Empire and Boy Lion.
---Arbiter 14 inch Vibrasonic snare drum...
Color: Chrome.
Description: Arbiter makes a very distinct snare drum due to the fact that both of the bottom and top heads are tightened by a single peg which is threaded through a circular track that encompasses the whole head (ie, the whole drumhead is tuned by a single peg), drum would most likely be housed in a black case and would have stickers pasted around the handle. The stickers are of the following bands: Nymb, Mock Orange, Bedford Drive, The Zap Toys, Holy Roman Empire and Boy Lion.

Cymbals:
---14 inch Paiste Sound Precision Hi-Hats (both top and bottom)
---17 inch Zildjian K Series Custom Crash
---20 inch Zildjian Avedis Series Projection Crash
---20 inch Zildjian Z Series Ride
Description: The K Crash will have the beginnings of a crack around the ridge, all cymbals would most likely be inside of an all black circular Zildjian Cymbal case.

Hardware:
---DW 9000 Series Kickdrum Pedal
---Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand
---Pearl Straight Cymbal Stand
---Yamaha Straight Cymbal Stand
---Tama Boom Arm Cymbal Stand
---Pearl Standard Snare Stand
Description: Both the Pearl and Yamaha stands will have green and/or blue markings painted on them where a tom mount would attach. They also should have Aquarian cymbal savers attached to the tops (which are little black, plastic extensions the have yellow foam padding that hold the cymbals in place). Hardware would most likely be in a large, black Outdoor duffle bag which has had the main strap rip-off and detach.

Incidentals:
---Black Sound Percussion Cowbell (w/mount)
---Black Sound Percussion Throne
---DW stick bag (should contain several pairs of Vater & Vic firth stick. Size 5A).
---Two Ayotte Stand Clamp Tom Mounts (one of which would also have lightblue painters tape on it).
---Hand Shaker (clear plastic tubing with three blue egg shakers held in by two black plastic ends).
---Tambourine
Description: All items may be found in a medium-sized Chicago Bulls duffle bag which would have a Weezer pin attached to it.

Guitar:
---Peavey T-60 Electric Guitar
Description: Serial Number 01832061 dated it back to 1984, dark sunburst finish, rosewood fretboard, 2 blade style humbucking pickups, in a custom molded hardshell case that is oval shaped with heavy plastic accents with the Peavey Logo stamped into it. This is a pretty identifiable piece, there arent too many like it out there.
---Agile Les Paul Electric Guitar
Description: Black with white binding on the neck and body, neck pickup removed and covered with black duct tape, bridge pickup is a Dimarzio Fred humbucker, toggle switch is snapped off, in a tweed rectangle shaped hardshell case with three buckles and the center one is busted, inside this case are a bunch of stickers for a band called Tarnish and several sets of strings and 2 9 volt batteries.
---Dean Performer E Acoustic Guitar
Description: Black with mother of pearl inlay around the soundhole, black sticker that says Love with another sticker of a red bird sitting on top of it, in a black SKB hardshell case with stickers for Tarnish, Burning in Effigy, and Sassafrass productions on the front. The case also contained strings, a tuner, and a capo.
---Fender Hot Rod Deville 2X12 Combo Amplifier.
Description: Black with Grey grill, the grill has a spot on it from being hit with a tomato (seriously), silver control panel, may squeal when reverb is turned up. ---Fender Big Apple Stratocaster Electric Guitar
Description: Black finish with Tortoise Shell pickguard, dual humbucker, white neck pickup, black bridge pickup, maple neck with rosewood fretboard, strap-locks. neck pickup is missing the floor-closest screw which holds the pickup in place, extensive pick-scratching damage on upper bout of guitar by the neck pickup (has a pink, rose-ish color), floyd-rose licensed tremolo with rust damage, Fender strat guitar case with extensive wear and tear that is covered in various stickers for bands, as well as for "Threadless" and "Ultrasound Music." Case contains a string cutter and the arm for the tremolo.
---ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 Electric Guitar (Les-Paul styled)
Description: Amber Sunburst finish, two passive Seymour Duncan pickups, both half-black-white (zebra), extensive abalone in binding and neck inlays, bridge pickup volume control is very scratchy, light picking damage on upper bout of guitar by neck pickup, neck pickup ring is discolored pink on upper corner, strap-locks, loosely screwed in, green-purple-black lizard decorated guitar strap, chunk of corner of lower cutaway is gone, exposing wood beneath finish, black guitar gig bag that contains two instrument cables, one speaker cable, one Fender tuner, a full case of Fender heavy picks, a stick of roll-on Old Spice deodorant.
---Marshall 1960A 4x12 Angled Cabinet
Description: Black tolex, black grill, missing "Marshall 1960" tag in bottom corner, light damage to tolex on sides of cab with a dime-sized chunk of tolex missing on one side exposing wood underneath, with a smaller chunk missing next to the dime-sized one.
---Orange OTR80 Head
Description: Orange head, knobs for F.A.C., Bass, Treble, Presence, Gain, Master. Hi-Lo inputs, single power switch (no standby), two metal carrying handles on face of head.
---Blue duffel bag with Bank of the west embroidery
Description: Contains 2 fender tuner pedals, 2 monster cables, a planet waves cable, egg shaker, tambourine, 2 capos, a footswitch for the fender amplifier, a harmonica in the key of C, the bottom of this bag has a ton of Pullman Strike buttons.
---Black folding stand for a combo amplifier

Other Items:
---Plastic Box of The Pullman Strike T-Shirts
Description: clear plastic bin with various band stickers that clamp at the end, white/navy blue canvas bag with a small spiral notebook inside detailing expenses, light blue shirt with white/brown outlined logo at bottom hem that looks like an old motel sign that has "The Pullman Strike" as well as "TV" and "ENTRANCE", heather grey shirt with black lettering that reads "DEFEND COUNTRY MUSIC" and "The Pullman Strike Chicago" with a picture of an old six shooter in the middle

MESSAGE FROM BAND MEMBER
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
So I've been a bit slower than everyone else to post this stuff, but it's important so please take a couple of minutes to read it all and re-post it if you have a chance.

Last weekend I was out in Detroit with my new band, The Pullman Strike, playing a couple of shows with our friends. We made the unfortunate mistake of thinking we could actually park in downtown Detroit for a few hours while we had dinner, and well, we paid the price for it.

Our whole entire trailer was stolen right off the back of Melby's car. The trailer contained every single piece of musical equipment my friends and I own, as well as all of our merch (which consists of a couple hundred t-shirts) and some money we had saved up from previous shows.

Aside from the usual feelings of anger and nausea, it was just a stark reminder to me about how much people just don't care anymore. Whoever took all of our shit didn't care that I kept all of my sticks and hardware in a Chicago Bulls duffle bag that my Dad gave me right before my first day of Junior High School because I was worried that my old bookbag wasn't cool enough (and I hugged him for 10 minutes straight afterwards). They don't care that one day day back in 7th Grade, the day that I new I was going to play a drumset for the very first time, I walked 11 blocks after school and spent all of my allowance from the last three weeks on a pair of the ugliest drumsticks the world has ever seen (rubber coated, with black handles and neon pink bodies) and a drumkey, which I still used to this day (and was also in my bag). They don't care about the hours upon hours I spent delivering pizzas and sandwiches in the sweltering summer and the freezing winter, trying to scrape together enough money so that I could buy the drumset of my dreams (the exact same set William Goldsmith used during Diary-era Sunny Day Real Estate). And, most importantly, they don't care that what they took from my friends and I can never be replaced. Even if we had a hundred million dollars. It was a lifetime of work building, trading, saving, hawking and begging for Birthday's and Christmas that got us our gear, and now I'm asking you guys to help us get it back.

I'm attaching a list of everything that we lost to the bottom of this message. Please take a couple of minutes to read it, re-post it and, if there's a pawn shop or a music store in your neighborhood, maybe just drop it off. Whatever you can do would be unbelievably appreciated by myself and The Pullman Strike.

A very special thank you also goes out from me to Bedford Drive and The War For Toledo, two bands we were still able to play with on Saturday night due to their gracious generosity and lending of their equipment.

And thank you guys too. Your support has been overwhelming, astounding and makes it a little easier to get out of bed every morning.

Both myself and The Pullman Strike can be contacted on MySpace should you have any info for us, and I'll even toss my cell number on here too.

And please re-post this as much as you can. It really means a lot.

Eric

P.S. A very special FUCK YOU also goes out to the Detroit Police Department, who, after they actually showed up, were too busy sending out text messages on their cell phones (for real) to care that there was a possible eyewitness and security camera footage.

Thanks,

Bill Koehler
610 392 3800

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would personally like to say to Mr. Koehler, that this infraction could very well happen in any city, be it Detroit, Chicago, or New York. So back the truck up for a second, and realize that a city that supports musicians like Detroit may very well come to your aid, so it might be best to not bash those inhabitants who may end up helping you out.

Peace

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, they don't steal shit in Chicago? Any one who pulls a cargo van (contractors, caterers, etc) knows better than to leave that shit unattended, especially in Chicago for Christsakes, yet alone my favorite shit-hole. Dude that shit sucks, but don't be so ignorant as to think Detroit is the only place that happens. Good luck, and tell us something we don't already know about Detroit's Finest.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 998
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you guys get at least some of your equipment back.

D_mcc, I think he was only bashing the police; specifically the ones who responded to the incident, not the entire City of Detroit. Don't get your panties in a wad.

D_mcc

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ I was referring to his statement thinking it was safe to park, and get a bite to eat in the city...

we all know the police tend to be incompetent.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3254
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

apparently they didn't bother to lock the hitch, either, and what, no insurance?

not 'blaming' the victim, but, c'mon use some common sense once in a while, ok?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 999
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc,

Oh.

I do have to say that many people here have posted similar stories about going in to eat at a restaurant, like, say, Union Street, and coming out an hour later to find their cars burglarized, etc. It sucks.

Don't restaurants like Union Street have security people to mosey up and down the street in front of the establishment?

D_mcc

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one, have also been robbed in Detroit, so while, yeah it sucks...I learned from it, and it wasn't musical instruments, but they did steal $5.31 in change out of my car after stealing a $600 dollar radio.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in a pretty small city (12,000) and we have people stealing from cars and businesses from time to time. Whaddayagonnado...?

D_mcc

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get insurance...that would be the first thing I do if I rent a u-haul

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks "I live in a pretty small city (12,000) and we have people stealing from cars and businesses from time to time."

Bull... Detroit is the only place where crime takes place. Crime was invented and copyrighted right here on the good ol' streets of Detroit!

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 396
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, well in Chicago somebody is always watching, when the hell will Detroit have street pole mounted cameras to make such incidents less likely to happen, or at least catch thieves in action. Crime is everywhere, but a bigger problem for Detroit. It's interesting to see comments where people say they should be more careful when they are likely the same ones that will say "you'll be fine downtown, Detroit isn't that bad."

Personally, I wouldn't do what the musicians did... leaving a truck full of expensive equipment alone anywhere, but isn't it time we do something to prevent these incidents in the first place?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3256
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

like put a padlock on the hitch? is that such a radical idea?

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 397
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

like solve other problems besides getting trailers stolen?

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 683
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTG Detroit is completely appropriate for this thread! I live in the suburbs, but two of my last three trips downtown have ended the same way as that of Pullman Strike's. Both times my vehicle was broken into and damage was done to the exterior in the process. My experiences won't stop me from visiting, but I'm sorry to say they do stop me from recommending the city to others.

D_mcc

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yeah, well in Chicago somebody is always watching, when the hell will Detroit have street pole mounted cameras to make such incidents less likely to happen, or at least catch thieves in action. Crime is everywhere, but a bigger problem for Detroit. It's interesting to see comments where people say they should be more careful when they are likely the same ones that will say "you'll be fine downtown, Detroit isn't that bad."
"

Because then you start to get into infringement of citizens rights Mr. Orwell

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 470
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

when the hell will Detroit have street pole mounted cameras to make such incidents less likely to happen, or at least catch thieves in action.

quote:

P.S. A very special FUCK YOU also goes out to the Detroit Police Department, who, after they actually showed up, were too busy sending out text messages on their cell phones (for real) to care that there was a possible eyewitness and security camera footage.

Sounds like more cameras wouldn't have helped much in this case.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's near where I live, but I didn't see anything suspicious that night.

People will rag on you for leaving conspicuous belongings unattended, but I've had my stuff stolen in a similar manner and sometimes circumstances just work out where you have to trust in the dubious ethics of humanity for a few hours. I felt like I was getting a lot of blame-the-victim when my shit got ganked, but I think people intend it to reinforce those kinds of things we all should do but are lax on until something bad happens, like replacing the batteries in our smoke detectors regularly. Everyone knows you should do it, but if you don't and your house burns down it doesn't help to say "you should have replaced those batteries."

The two police officers I have met in my neighborhood have not been friendly or helpful in any way, although I reserve my judgement on the rest whom I have not personally encountered.

The only things I can say are I feel for you, it's happened to me, but also remember that it's never a good idea to get too sentimental about things that are not actual human beings, that working with limitations leads to great creativity, that starting over is exciting, and finally that insurance on objects hauled inside of a motor vehicle can be somewhat affordable if you shop around.

Bedford Drive are friendly people.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah, well in Chicago somebody is always watching,

Would somebody immediately suspect that a crime was being committed just because a van drives up and hitches up a trailer? This could have happened whether there was one or a hundred people walking past.

Shit happens. I do hope he gets his stuff back. I bet it's all on Ebay as we speak...

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With that amount of equipment in a city of this size, a jury rigged alarm system on the trailer would have helped. Fifty bucks worth of stuff from any Radio Shack could have done the trick.
But my heart goes out to them, and I hope they get a few more thieves off the street.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 242
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

regardless of whos fault it was, i bet they will never play another Detroit show and will prolly tell others to stay away from the D.

When your a victim, you don't even consider that it could have been your fault. We are trying to improve perceptions about Detroit and this don't help.

D_mcc

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric, its NOT just Detroit, as I said earlier, this could happen in ANY city, I don't get why that major point is going unnoticed.

New York, LA, Chicago, it could happen just as quickly in any of those cities...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hope at least some of their equipment can be recovered. that's a kick in the nuts

after reading this, and looking up the DPD website for an unrelated matter, i thought it would be interesting to note that their goddamn website doesn't even work www.ci.detroit.mi.us/police

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 955
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus Christ, this kind of shit just kills me. I will keep an eye open as I travel around town and an ear on the rail. I hope something good comes of this, but damn yer gonna have to look deep for it. Sorry to here about all this, guys, real sorry. Welcome to fucking Detroit...

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 298
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has no one in this band EVER toured before? I have many friends who have been on the road across the country for years and they all know to lock their shit up. Lock the hitch and lock the back with high quality locks. It seems like common sense. I can be sympathetic if someone saws-all ed a hole in the side and carted the stuff out that way but jesus. Still sucks and bands have to make money but if it means alot to you take precautions and treat your equipment like it it means alot to you. This could have happened ANYWHERE.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 956
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mdoyle, you’re wrong. This only happens where sub-human shitheads thrive.

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on January 06, 2008)

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet said: "Mdoyle, you’re wrong. This only happens where sup-human shitheads thrive"

I agree and Detroit is 47.8% sub-human scum. The other 52.2% of Detroit's population would never do this because they are subsidized by welfare from the State of Michigan. Detroit sucks...!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 958
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen bro, amen.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2819
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally some sympathetic posts(the last two). I hope who ever began this thread understands that it will most assuredly bring out the liars of the fabulous ruins of Detroit. The liars are those that post drivel about "..it could happen anywhere dude"....as if that is some sort of justification. Or.. "lock your hitch up... what the hell are they supposed to lock it up to a tree? Or how about get insurance......how the fuck do you know they did not have insurance?

I doubt any of you have had this significant amount of personal things stolen.Otherwise you would not be such insensitive pricks about it. I have had musical equipment stolen three times. And each time it was a kick in the gut. Or did you all miss the sentiment expressed by one of the victims? When a band is done for the night they are exhausted.....and jacked up from the music as well.....they might just be thinking that leaving a secured vehicle on a major artery to grab a bite to eat would be a safe thing to do. Most places it would be. And in most places it could also be stolen. But what the liars of the forum attempt is to try and make the rest of us believe is that Detroit is no different. And that is the lie, the pathetic tired ass lie.........Detroit is different for the simple fact that this kind of shit happens a lot more in Detroit.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...happens a lot more in Detroit."

I think this is the key. Getting your stuff stolen stinks. Having an unsatisfactory police response stinks. It could happen anywhere, but there are some places it is more likely to happen, and Detroit is one of them.

That doesn't make Detroit uninhabitable, or unvisitable, but it does make it less attractive to live in or visit. The real question is where do you go from there--how can this situation be improved? I don't know the answer to that. I have to believe that the DPD could be upgraded, but I don't know how exactly, and that is certainly far from the only problem.

Yes, people can take precautions, and arguably people should, but there are lots of places you don't NEED to take precautions, so let's not be blaming the victims too much.

In the meantime, my sympathy is with the band, and with everyone else who gets hit with something like this.