Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The sad tale of John King's 1996 Caprice « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080111/OPINI ON03/801110385

I was especially intrigued by this part:

< <
Unable to get it started, the thieves were shoving it toward heaven knows where. When the police arrived, whoever was behind the wheel made himself scarce.

The pilot of the pickup, however, was apprehended. And unleashing the full power and fury of the law, the police wrote him up for

Driving on a suspended license.

As police explained things to King, they couldn't prove that the pickup driver stole the car.

He could have simply been a helpful passerby, who happened to be driving a borrowed Dodge Ram after a sinister thief busted open a locked iron gate -- with a pickup truck, perhaps? -- and somehow muscled a 4,052-pound sedan 50 yards onto Lafayette Boulevard.
> >

Yes, I guess it could happen anywhere ... but I gotta believe Detroit's near the top of the frequency statistics for these events ... and it's got to change.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11305
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.

There is ONE statistic that we can stop looking at...if the police don't even charge car thieves, how can we count them?!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11182
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about receiving stolen goods? How the heck can they not arrest and charge these complete pieces of crap.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 982
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats funny stuff.
It reminds me of the girl who had her car stolen in Dearborn. A couple days later they found the car on jacks striped and left on a Detroit Street.
The car had a parking ticket on it for illegal parking, yet had no wheels. The girl tried for months to have the ticket tore up, but it didnt happen until the media was notified.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp: To be fair, the exact same thing happened to me in Chicago, years ago.

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, let's applaud the cops for at least getting the car back. Second, let's look at the many other things the police probably could have done:
1. I'll again bet even money, that the pick up driver probably had an outstanding warrant or two, maybe even some unpaid child support. Detroit cops are NOTORIOUS for not running LEIN checks on those they stop.
2. So it's legal to be bumping a non-running car along the street? Where's a ticket for that or for unsafe driving etc?
3. I know a common gripe BY Detroit cops is they have a hard time getting a prosecutor to sign off on an arrest warrant, which may be the case here. But did the cops even try? Couldn't the argument be made this guy had possession of the vehicle if he was using his vehicle to maneuver it?
4. Did they IMPOUND the pick up?
5. Did they even ARREST the driver of the pick up and take him into custody? He probably knew the folks who took the car and probably had info on car theft rings. Aren't investigators interested in that?
6. And yet to come, and again I'll bet even money, is if the pick up driver shows up in 36th district court to contest his ticket, the cops won't even be there and the case will be dismissed.

Again, this is just another example of why the criminal element runs rampant in this city. Why fear police or obey the laws when if you skirt the law all you get is a ticket for driving on a suspended license?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are those 96 Caprices and Impalas still the most stolen cars in Detroit?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd guess most-stolen are probably Dodge-Chrysler, because it's so easy to punch the ignition.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So where is everyone who cries about Detroit residents car insurance rates being too high?

Detroit is the nationals capital for this kind of crap.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So where is everyone who cries about Detroit residents car insurance rates being too high?

One stolen car justifies insurance redlining? Hmm.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit is the nationals capital for this kind of crap

Not according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau that'd be Las Vegas. Detroit isn't even in the top 10 and hasn't been since 2003. But don't let facts get in the way of your argument
https://www.nicb.org//HotSpots /index1.html

Jt1

Post Number: 11186
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian - IN years past I have gotten quotes from insurers based upon Detroit address and addresses in the cities with the highest auto theft rates. Detroit's came in at anywhere from 2-10 times higher.

Please explain the disparity. Some can be attributed to Michigan's horrible rules but that does not account for the entire discrepancy. Why not?

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in 2005, the detroit police reported 20,933 auto thefts ... which, based on a population of 900,000 folks, is roughly one car theft for every 45 residents. Also look at the NICB web-site more closely. Those rates are for REGIONS, not specific cities.

Jt1

Post Number: 11187
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coorelating auto thefts to population is not accurate. Even AAA has estaimted that upwards of 50% of auto thefts in the city are fraud. Still way too many but the numbers to population representation is not accurate.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

112,000 miles on the car?

Perhaps the thieves were doing John King a favor!

Jt1

Post Number: 11188
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I shouldn't tell potential thieves that my car has a lot more miles than John King's. I don't want to make myself a target. :-)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2502
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

112,000 miles on the car?

Perhaps the thieves were doing John King a favor!

112K miles on a car is a pretty easy feat in the metropolitan of Detroit. My father put 100K miles on his car in a little over 4 years.

For a 12 year old car, he's averaging less than 10K miles per year...

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

easily what Eric said, & if it sucks, blame good ol' No Fault...as I recall the Louisiana auto insurers were paying out $125 for every $100 they took in, dunno about flood insurance

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

112k on that 5.7 V8- that's not bad at all. Like the poster said that less than 10k a year.

those 5.7 and 3800 GM engines are good for well over 200k. I have 131k on my '96 Bonneville SSE

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the old days Ray1936 and his partner would have given them the billy club to the head and let that be the justice served!

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 526
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just saying you don't usually see people go to such extremes to steal cars in other areas.

Just blame it on "The Man" and keep ignoring the real cause of the problem.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.