Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Woodward and willis condo project « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 670
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey there gang, whatever happened to this project:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/uccacatalyst.aspx

it recieved $100,000 in Michigan Cool Cities money...

that article is from 2006, and still no sign of life, is there?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6965
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No jobs means less housing demand.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 671
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, i got that part of the deal, but what of the $100,000 in state funding?

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hearing rumblings that it's been given new life with additional financing. It will live as rentals, not condos...

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's still on...if you really are curious, just go stop at the UCCA offices sometime and ask. but remember, you're dealing with a non-profit, so things move slooooowwwwwly.

and then go upstairs and say hi to detourdetroit.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

image here:
http://www.detroitmidtown.com/ 05/image_lib/woodward_willis.j pg

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11189
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait for ACME to open shop.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That place comes in handy when you've got a roadrunner to kill.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4564
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best anvils around.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The project was one of many mentioned in this Detroit News article last Saturday: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080105/B IZ/801050361&imw=Y

Something else, the Model D article, whose source was the UCCA, says it "will be constructed on four vacant lots on the northeast corner of Woodward and West Willis." That block is not vacant, but the northwest corner is--next to McDonalds.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I applaud the UCCA for stepping up and taking a stand to create a better urban fabric along Woodward. It's refreshing to hear influential people say, "No, we need this type of building here" instead of just saying beggars can't be choosers. I am very happy they are pushing forward with this.

My only gripe is that it's only three stories tall. Something along Woodward should be taller and allow for more density. Don't get me wrong, this type of development is great. But do we have to settle for a small town downtown (three stories) building when something five or six stories would be more appropriate in a major city center along its main artery?

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_Hemingway, There's no demand for that many units. You could build it taller but you would double the construction costs and have a higher vacancy rate. I have a feeling the numbers on this project are about as thin as they get, and you should be happy to get three stories. The most profitable use for the site is probably a single-story drug store with parking, and the UCCA is right not to settle for that and push for something better.

So yes, we have to settle for something getting built vs. the site sitting vacant for another decade.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wouldn't surprise me if the numbers on this are thin at best, especially in today's economy. I wonder if a compromise could be reach, such as putting in footings strong enough to accommodate a couple more stories further down the road if and when the numbers work. Such a project is being done now in downtown Birmingham now:

Briggs Building expansion in downtown Birmingham fully leased
http://metromodemedia.com/devn ews/Briggs0022.aspx

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.