Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Freep editorial slams US cars « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 543
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read this editorial in today's Freep. I couldn't find it on their website. I found it on the writer's paper's website and have provided a link. What do you think about it? I think he is 2-5 years late with this information. US cars have improved much in the last couple of years. I'm tempted to write to him directly.

http://www.kansascity.com/278/ story/436329.html

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not an editorial. It's an opinion piece.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 498
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and the dude is really taking it on the chin from people too.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what opinion pieces do: Excite debate. Often they're overly opinionated for just that reason.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 544
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's not an editorial. It's an opinion piece."

Whatever. I'm not a journalist. At the very least, his thoughts are out dated and cliche.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wash: I'm not trying to take you to task, just to add to the discussion. :-)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6896
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it does seem as though the article is out of date-maybe not for his readership in KC. We do have to realize that since we're in the heart of the auto industry, we hear it first here. He really isn't saying anything that the local pundits haven't written in the last few years. Fortunately some of the car companies have responded in building some better cars and have improved their product.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 624
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The writer is way off in terms of recognized measures of quality, but the title is absolutely correct. "Detroit" has been designing and building them right for years, but consumer (and many reviewer) perceptions are focused about 180 degrees from the truth. Know what? Truth does not matter as much as mom taught us. Engineering and manufacturing have the Big Three where they need to be, but now marketing must do its part (so go easy on the Ford guys for rebadging an technology).

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4474
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some moron from KC who probably has no idea what a fusion is and thought GM stopped building the malibu in 1978

Umtim
Username: Umtim

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the gas pump will force change in the way people get to work. If detroit auto makers want to be part of that they can respond to it. Cheap gas is gone.
Burning fossil fuels for transportation purposes is, at this moment, not in the best interest of our planet. Whether this will change I don't know.
there is ample opportunity for intelligent engineers to rethink moving people cheaply without the global warming thing.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 416
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wrote a response to this editor regarding Detroit quality when researched to being equivalent to many foreign models and received the following response:

Thank you for the e-mail. Like you, I want people to support American manufacturers. But I refuse to ask for blind loyalty.

Sincerely,

Lewis Diuguid

Its amazing to me how no matter what you do this mentality persists.. Buying only Toyotas without doing proper research on quality and product line of the Big Three is equally as blind,,All one is asking them to do is compare valid research before making a purchase decision , and they still refuse and continue to buy foreign. Sounds like they for some reason dont like the information they will find.

Pennst8
Username: Pennst8

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That response just goes to show you that the guy doesn't know what he's talking about, nor did he do his research.

Consumer Reports, which is what a lot of people use as a litmus test has recommended several Ford branded vehicles. As a matter of fact the brand is pretty much a sure fire bet as far as they concerned. Meanwhile vehicles such as the V-6 Camry and Tundra didn't quite make the cut.

Yes, blind loyalty is a silly notion these days. It is the perception you have to watch out for, especially when you aren't doing your homework.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT YOU DRIVE DRIVES AMERICA!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.