Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Macy's to cut Detroit jobs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago Tribune reports that Macy's will cut 70 jobs in Detroit region.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ business/chi-sat_macys_0112jan 12,0,6047756.story?coll=chi_ta b01_layout

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These jobs wont be sales positions.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't really know anybody who is satisfied with what Macy's has turned Marshall Fields/Hudsons into. It's not about the name, it's about the quality of the merchandise.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 852
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

These jobs wont be sales positions.

So instead of losing the part-time, low-paying sales jobs, we'll be losing what is most likely full-time, slightly-better-paying jobs in "alterations, food, marketing, visual and finance", as the article says.

And as someone who was formerly in visual merchandising at a competing department store, i fully expect their displays and store environment to suffer noticeably.

good job, macy's, you've done a better job of destroying fine department stores than any downturn in the economy could ever do.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4828
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very few of the older department store chains have any resemblance to what they were back during the 1960s. Starting way back in 1972 the British BATUS bought Milwaukee-based Kohl's and another Milwaukee-based chain--Gimbel's. By that time, Gimbel's had already assimilated the more popular Schuster's stores, also based in Milwaukee.

In 1982, BATUS bought Marshall-Fields and for a few years managed them in Milwaukee, along with their other chains that they since purchased during the 1970s. During that time, they expanded their Gimbel's chain, only to sell those poor-performing department stores to Prange's (in Wisconsin somewhere--bankrupt since the mid 1990s).

Other Milwaukee companies were purchased by outside firms during the 1960s and 1970s. Many others just closed or went bankrupt, altogether. AMF bought Harley-Davidson after the last of the Davidsons died on New Year's Eve back around 1964. [My parents were at my uncle's house celebrating New Year's when that story came over the radio. He was an HD exec (ran the main stamping plant and designed/made the dies) who spent over 50 years there.]

However, after BATUS couldn't make a go with MF and Kohl's and the others, they sold them to others. Kohl's was purchased by its managers and is now located in a Milwaukee suburb. Likewise, a number of HD managers and engineers (mostly its engineers) bought Harley-Davidson from AMF. There are a few successes from those times.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 13, 2008)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a business sense, it would make sense that they would consolidate these jobs since the Marshall's Field's divisions and Macy's divisions when combined does not need as many administrative staff. Combine that with the fact that there has been such a negative reaction to MF becoming Macy's in Chicagoland and this was bound to happen. I am not impressed by Macy's as a whole and have not shopped there much since, not because I am boycotting or anything, just because it is just not that great of a store anymore. I have been waiting for them to start shutting stores in the Metro Detroit area.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE their store at Somerset - I use it to cut through to the mall from the parking lot all the time! =)

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I already notice that the cashiers give you the same plastic bags that you get at K-mart.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.