Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Anyone else meet congressman Kucinich at eastern market today? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just walked into rocky peanut, and there he was, looking for some dried fruit. i introduced myself, and talked to him for a sec. which was really cool. his volunteers were handing out pocket sized copies of the constitution and it seemed like he created a buzz throughout the market as i heard a lot of the vendors telling their customers about him being there.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on January 12, 2008)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3221
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm...sounds like he not just wasting his own time with this presidential run, but everyone else's

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4329
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of cool that someone came to Detroit, but would much rather have anyone else here, even Mike Gravel. No other Dems would be here because they don't even have a primary...Kucinich is just doing his own thing I guess, and trying to spoil thing for Hilary.

I'm pretty sure McCain and Romney are in the suburbs today. It would be a nice gesture for one of them to be somewhere in Detroit for at least two seconds.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, two seconds is about all the time that McCain and Romney would need to spend in Detroit. No one would be around to listen to them because the majority of voters in Detroit are democrats, and they know that. That's why they're in the 'burbs and not here.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"hmmm...sounds like he not just wasting his own time with this presidential run, but everyone else's"

This thread is about Kucinich, not Ron Paul, Thejesus.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4270
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is kind of funny:

quote:

He tried to follow the lead of rivals and remove his name from the Michigan ballot. But he goofed, filed the wrong paperwork and vowed to make the best of what most observers agree is his no-chance bid in Michigan.

From The Detroit News

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a picture in the Freep today of Huckabee visiting the Motown Museum.

I think Republicans will make in roads with Detroit voters, the day they start talking to them.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A DetroitYES exclusive photo - the Carpmobile, about 12 minutes ago. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeK
Carpmobile

( seems to be one of the "far-lefties")

(Message edited by carptrash on January 12, 2008)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think Republicans will make in roads with Detroit voters, the day they start talking to them.

Ya think?

I'd venture to say McCain and even Mike Huckabee wouldn't be necessarily shunned by a Detroit audience.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet Kucinich is instructing people to vote for him or uncommited, btw.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3284
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Michigan wants a moderate and Detroit wants someone who understands trade.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I'm not planning on voting for him, it's a little silly to dismiss his run as wasting everyone's time. Staying in there and raising the issues he and the far lefties in the Party think are particularly important forces the mainstream candidates to respond and shape their policies accordingly, especially during the televised debates. Without him, who's going to keep representing the views of the "liberal wing of the Democratic Party"?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 560
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craptrash, nice subaru, those are made in Japan aren't they? BTW, the sticker should be on the left, don't ya think?

Personally, I have to give D K a lot of credit. He's been sticking his nose right in the middle of some pretty important issues, and won't back down regardless of how many times he is thrown to the mat.

Ya gotta wonder how the folks in his District feel about having him constantly running for President instead of being back home in Cleveland.

The Harold Stassin of our time.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4331
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally agree, 1953.

A candidate might consider scheduling gigs in Detroit, but then I'm sure some idiot consultant at RNC would come down on them for wasting party funds in the city.

You can't have a big tent without trying to include everyone, and I'm sure there are consultants who might recommend this tact, too.

The Republicans will probably lose a key chance to engage black urban voters if Obama gets elected. That will cement alot.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitt's going to be at lawrence Tech on Sunday at 1:00. Joe Knollenberg left a message on my phone about it. That was proceeded by a message from Mitt himself.

Was Kucinich's wife with him today. She's pretty nice looking.
http://la.indymedia.org/upload s/2007/02/kucinich.elizabeth.m ilitaryfamilies.speakout.award s_ceremony.2.q4up8z.jpg

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Craptrash, nice subaru, those are made in Japan aren't they? BTW, the sticker should be on the left, don't ya think? "

The Subaru is the National Car of New Mexico. It goes places that a lot of American cars don't. And, yes, left probably would have been better.

"Ya gotta wonder how the folks in his District feel about having him constantly running for President instead of being back home in Cleveland. "

My guess is that they feel just fine or they would not keep re-electing him . . . how many times? eeeek

Jimaz

Post Number: 4276
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elizabeth Kucinich is intelligent and has a nice accent too: interview.

(Message edited by Jimaz on January 12, 2008)

Umtim
Username: Umtim

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While DK doesn't have much name recognition or money his position on the issues (war, economy, health care, trade) are consistent with those of the people according to polls. He has been dissed by the mainstream media and had a problem getting his message out. He has been a leader in opposing the iraq quagmire and opposing the Bush rewriting of the constitution. He is a cities man. Curious that some here would diss him without attention to specific issues. Careless babel.

(Message edited by umtim on January 12, 2008)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2510
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Huckabee made another off the record stop after that, meeting with Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick at his downtown office. The campaign said Mayor Kilpatrick had called Huckabee earlier in the day and requested he stop by to chat.

http://politicalticker.blogs.c nn.com/2008/01/11/huckabee-pay s-homage-to-motown/

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4332
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's awfully interesting.

They were discussing Kilpatrick's possible run as a Republican congressman to replace Carolyn Cheek's spot in 10 years.;)

Jimaz

Post Number: 4277
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been rethinking that Detroit News article.
quote:

... he goofed, filed the wrong paperwork ...

Could it be that Kucinich did that deliberately and just let it seem to be a mistake? It seems unlikely that a presidential candidate could make a mere paperwork error that significant. Perhaps it was a shrewd move to snag some Edwards and Obama votes away from the uncommitted? I don't know.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They were discussing Kilpatrick's possible run as a Republican congressman to replace Carolyn Cheek's spot in 10 years.;)

That wouldn't have much to do with Huckabee. He'd also never go Republican, no matter how conservative his rhetoric becomes. In fact, as mayor of the largest city in Michigan, I'd guess he extended the same invitation to all candidates currently campaigning in Michigan.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4333
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah I know, Huckabee's irrelevant anyway.

I wouldn't agree that the Detroit mayor meeting with Republican primary candidates is standard issue, though.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw a Kuch lawn sign yesterday.

It looked lonely.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.