Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Mi Pueblo Taqueria « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Mi Pueblo Taqueria the other day on Dix. I've only been to los galanes and xochimilco but Mi pueblo blew them both out of the water. I was extremely pleased with my experience. I had tacos. One chorizo, one marinated chicken, and one regular chicken. Additionally had the guacamole which was great. Salsas were also very tasty with a good consistency.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mi Pueblo is a great restaurant, and often forgotten about when people think about Mexicantown. Senor Lopez on Michigan Ave. (also one in Ann Arbor) is another quiet gem. Their food is cheap, fast and they give you a delicious free marinated beef taco the second you sit down, for free, along with chips and salsa. I consider Xochi's to be fun because it's familiar but it and Los Galanes are sub par compared to the other two.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to say Mi Pueblo is in Mexicantown, per se. I guess I meant when people think of Mexican restaurants in that area.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mi Pueblo is great. Their horchata (spelling?) is better than crack.

That being said, Los Galanes is clearly my favorite. Their seafood menu is a 10.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy Los Galanes in the summer because of the live music and patio. Food wise though it's not the greatest. Also the upstairs waiting room of Mexican Village looks like something straight out of the movie Blow.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the new (or under new management) Taquería la Tapatía on Vernor, too. A more upscale place: El Barzón, on Junction S of Michigan. Another hole in the wall: Mi Tierra on Oakwood almost at the city limits. What's happening is that SW Detroit is getting the same kind of range of Mexican places as cities in the southwest have: there are little taco places, seafood (Rincón Taraxco on Junction is said to be good, but I haven't tried it), the big festive places for North Americans, non-Mexican food (like El Comal, which I like, and which has booze), and places where Mexicans would go for quinceañeras and other big parties.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LAS BRISAS IS A GOOD ONE TOO! YOU SEE THE LOCAL MEXICANOS EATING THERE

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any restaurant in the Detroit area which serves Yucatecan food?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4846
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mi Pueblo has another restaurant on Vernor (or Bagley). Maybe, it's open by now; maybe, not.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Mi Tierra branch office on Warren Ave. in Warrendale. Delicious!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmmmm mi pueblo!

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being of Latino heritage I prefer Los Galanes for overall satisfaction/authenticity.
Although I tend to avoid menu items like burritos and chimichangas etc.
Their fajita steak tacos are awesome!
Mi Puebla is pretty good too.
And I love Senor Lopez.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3623
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mi Pueblo has the most delicious posole in the city.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6972
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most Mexican owned Taquerias are popping up like mushrooms throughout the SW Detroit area. A great way to lure in some high traffic customers and increase some profits. I even been to El Paso Taqueria on S. Fort St. at Downtown Lincoln Park. Great Mexican home cooking, music and all.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wasn't there talk of a new Mi Pueblo opening in the new Mercadeo?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 942
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The already mentioned Taqueria Tapatia on Vernor near the Mexicantown Bakery is excellent - everything is freshly made as are the salsas. A real taqueria with an authentic feel and great prices.

Excellent salsas are available at the Gigante Market on Michigan Ave, in the back in a refrigerated case.

I also like El Barzon on Junction at Michigan Ave. This is a gem. The owner was a chef at a well-known Italian restaurant in the north suburbs (the name escapes me) and he now has a duel menu of Italian and Mexican. the dining room is white tablecloth, the service is excellent and the vibe is very happy.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3563
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've eaten at El Barzon. One of my favorites also. Excellent food, moderate prices, nice atmosphere.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rampart, yes, its on the Northeast corner of Kelly Rd and 10 Mile.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bull's-eye Fury. May I add that the owners and employees are super nice people who always treat 'ya right . . .

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4647
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is there any restaurant in the Detroit area which serves Yucatecan food?"
The "taco de cortesia" (Courtesy Taco) at Senor Lopez is actually Cochinita Pibil, (slow-cooked piglet) a Yucatan delicacy, but sadly, there are no places that I know of serving Yucatecan food in Detroit. Still, Lopez does a good job, and the Salsa Hidalgo is almost as good as Habanero Salsa.(You know that you are in a real Yucatan style restaurant when there are little jars of diced habanero chiles mixed w/ purple onions on the table).
I could go for a nice bowl of Sopa de Lima right about now...
I found one Yucatan style place in LA and it sucked.
As for El Barzon, I posted about the place when it opened. It's best Mexican food in the entire city! Go!

Glad to hear that El Tapatio is under new mgmt, it was great when it first opened, but had slipped into mediocrity, (but still blew Xochibacteria off the map)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my way to try this joint out. I hope it is good!

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto wrote;

"I could go for a nice bowl of Sopa de Lima right about now..."

My wife and I spent a week in Merida (the capital of Yucatan state) earlier this month and loved it..it's a fabulous city. RE: Yucatecan cuisine, it really is a blend of Mexican and caribbean traditions...black beans instead of red, lots of seafood, and, yes, generous use of lime....in Merida, Sopa de Lima is as ubiquitous as gumbo is in New Orleans...and, regrettably, authentic versions of either one seem unobtainable beyond their home regions.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 457
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little different, but..Tango Bravo, the Argentinian restaurant in southwest is damn good.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 930
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they make taco burrito etc. meat the real way, by grilling it then cutting it up? If so I will definitely check it out.

"Mi Pueblo is great. Their horchata (spelling?) is better than crack."
WOW i didn't know that sh t was addictive...

(Message edited by lefty2 on January 17, 2008)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 957
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just regular hamburger meat i guess. ow well

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the chorizo gringa is delicious!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.