Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Is this a Joke? [Boston Edison Super Low Prices] » Archive through January 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.historicbostonediso n.org/forsale/forsale2.shtml

These houses are so beautiful ,but so cheap

is it for Real?

Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 626
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boston Edison Steals

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's for real

French777

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is so cheap though.

Why would some one not buy that house for less than 10 grand

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the same reasons they're costing 10K. Our economy, schools (even some other civic services) and law enforcement sucks.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 527
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

777 why don't you buy one or two, then start a blog and keep us updated on why someone shouldn't?

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at these have us thinking about moving our family into the city from the country, something we never thought we'd do! We were never planning to send our kids to public school anyway, so that is of no concern.

I just wonder about reasonable access to quality food stores and private education (NOT religious) without driving into the suburbs. As it is we drive 25 minutes into Ann Arbor for our groceries, but via country roads.

Is the law enforcement and safety of my wife, children and household really at risk, as Detroitrise indicates?

I hear the city is allowing urban farming all over. Would Boston-Edison tolerate vegetable gardens (and maybe chickens) all in the yard?

How far to The Center for Creative Studies and Cranbrook (2 graduate schools I'm considering)?

Thanks for the post!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ventura67, in reality, no.

However, it's a very poor perception that Detroit just can't seem to shake.

(Message edited by detroitrise on January 12, 2008)

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 632
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, that particular house, though small by Boston Blvd. standards, used to be very nicely kept. I've not been inside; but, to me, the exterior is charming. It has very nice windows and had a well-built wooden fence (not a security fence) in the back and along the side.

IIRC, the family that owned it for a long time died or moved on. It then experienced a series of unfortunate incidents, including a fire. It now is vacant and in terrible shape. And most unfortunately, it is right on the corner of Linwood.

Looking at it (and many other Boston-Edison area houses), I am reminded of this poem.
http://www.poetry-archive.com/ k/the_house_with_nobody_in_it. html

French777

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian I am 16 in Rochester Hills

I can't just take out my check book and buy one!

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 499
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how come a lot of them have dead links?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777 - thanks for being involved in this forum.
At your age, most would be into video games only.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The house may be cheap, but the taxes are exorbitant. We were house shopping a year ago and came across a few of these homes. Though beautiful they are, the taxes arent worth the lack of services you'll receive.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 576
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777 - Thanks for this post. I had not thought about this area in a long time.

I remember one of my first bosses lived on Longfellow. He and his wife hosted a Thanksgiving dinner for all the employees in 1963.

That home was beautiful inside and out. So classy and exquisite. Beautiful detail to the woodwork, plaster walls, high cove ceilings. Truly an executive's dwelling.

I remember there being lots of nooks and crannies where occasional hi-backed chairs and a fancy end table would be placed. Good spots to sit and read.

Thanks for jarring that memory from me!

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 615
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The exteriors are great, the interiors tend to be more of a mixed bag. There is alot of work to old homes and houses at that size are very expensive to heat. THe area is not the greatest, but nowhere near the worst. The biggest problem I think is the proximity to Highland Park, whether or not its a real problem I don't know. As for Ventura67, food can be a bit tricky, you will have to make a few trips out to the suburbs but most people I know limit it to once a month, as for schools I really don't know much but there is a charter school just down the street in New Center north of 94, safety issues I think would be more on the level of low danger crime, vandalism, car theft, home robbery if you don't have an alarm, really not sure about chickens in your yard, but I don't see why you couldn't have a veggy patch. CCS is within five miles of BE so that would be nice, however Cranbrook is more of a drive, probably 25-30 minutes on a good day. I would take CCS over Cranbrook anyway, but it sorta depends on how good you look in an all black wardrobe. Good luck to all.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those are some beautiful homes

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In general, if Detroit is ever to thrive again, it has to come up with a credible answer to the following question:

Why would families want to live in Detroit, as opposed to suburbs of Detroit?

If the City can answer that convincingly, not now but in the future, it can be great again. If not, not. Right now, Detroit has no answer to that question so far as I can see.

Attracting single young professionals is great, and important, but there aren't enough of those to repopulate a big city.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 683
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, it is great that you are staying on top of the real estate market, even at such a young age. Those prices are indeed for real, and may be that way for the near term.

The main reasons for such low prices have already been covered above. In essence, price is not the only factor one should care about when purchasing a house or anything for that matter. You should be more concerned about the maintenance cost of upkeep, property taxes, resale value and etc. Some things are worth $500,000 because people are willing to pay that amount. Houses in Boston-Edison are being listed under $70K because that's all people are willing to pay these days.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 895
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Looking at these have us thinking about moving our family into the city from the country, something we never thought we'd do!"

This is a very real possibility on large scale. As the economy dips and gas prices rise, and more people lose there big fancy out by the pond, we may see these folks heading back into the city to snap up some cheap housing. This is something I've wondered about for a while. As always crime is the key. If the city can get it under control, there should be a huge opportunity to increase the population. It's dependent upon a few things, but I can see it happening.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ventura67- you could contact the neighborhood association:

http://www.historicbostonediso n.org/live.shtml

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 500
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for those prices, schools shouldn't even be a factor. You could either pay of your house EXTREMELY fast in relative terms or you could have a rediculously low mortgage. Either way, you can put the savings into private school if you wanted.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 885
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome houses but, when you try to sell, your house ends up back on this website - http://www.historicbostonediso n.org/forsale/forsale2.shtml

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstash, I dont know how many truly decent neighborhoods you think there are for people to return to in terms of dense quality housing stock, and if you think theres going to be an influx of new housing development in the city in the near future your sadly mistaken.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4457
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

Astonishing prices, it is like the early 70's when I bought my arts and crafts Highland Park house. Scenario the same, high gas prices, depression in the auto industry, gloomy outlook, surplus of housing.

For someone energetic with some basic home improvement skills looking for historic home quality property, this is the moment to suck it in and go for it. Quality housing neighborhoods endure and recover first. Having been in a few of these, I can assure you that they are incredible houses at incredible prices. Wait until you see the insides, hardword floors, fireplaces, woodworking, leaded window, beveled glass and other surprises.

"Success happens when opportunity meets preparation."

Put on the overalls. Neighbors are the key; are they united? If yes, get involved with them. If no, organize them. Expenses a problem with such a big house? Take in house mates for companionship and upkeep earnings.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mighty tempting . . . I went on the Indian Village home tour and talked to people who bought their houses at prices like these--houses that are now worth $300,000 or $400,000.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 528
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask yourself this. "Would I want to transfer from Adams to Detroit Northern High School?"

French777

Post Number: 301
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321 Rochester High actually.

In 2 years I will be out of this Stuck up, Rich ass Republican, suburbanite city.

I plan on going to Wayne State, and going into
Urban Planning

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6130
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always nice to see French777 post. He's young, and does not know all the answers (like some who post here seem to think they do). Sometimes folks attack him because they think he's being a smart aleck... but he's always posted sincere questions. He's not dumb, just inexperienced in city matters.

It's nice to see someone his age who actually cares about Detroit, and posts here... rather than do all the materialistic things that most guys his age do... God bless him for that!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know the website that was linked here that shows tax information on these houses?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1405 Chicago has the taxes at 11,000. Thats enough right there not to buy it.