Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Is this a Joke? [Boston Edison Super Low Prices] » Archive through January 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"1405 Chicago has the taxes at 11,000. Thats enough right there not to buy it."

Is it? Depends on how much you really think that any of these homes are worth.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$11,000 is over twice what I pay on my 7 wooded acres with a very decent school district- except I don't get trash collection.

That does seem very high. Hmmmm.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any chance it would be revalued downward when sold if the condition and value had deteriorated? It just seems wrong that a distressed house would be locked into such high taxes.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the Positive comments...

At Rochester High people have such a neg. opinion of Detroit and it really bothers me.

I've done a Powerpoint called Visit Detroit in my History class. Almost 85 percent of the people were convinced that Detroit is a great place and their opinions changed!!

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 529
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So why don't you transfer to C.T. or Northern( it's right by Boston Edison). I'm sure the D.P.S. would be happy to have you.

Oh, to be young and naive.

Detroit is a nice place to visit but you don't want to live there. Unless you're renting downtown.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your dull cynicism is tired and lame 321.

one kid who moves to the city in defiance of the herd mentality that drove his grandparents' generation out of the city may not do anything, but if a critical mass of his generation sees the madness in it all, and moves down here they could actually do something to help create a city their great-grandparents would once again be proud of if they were alive to see it.

And the suburbs can just go ahead and keep all the glass-half-empty douchebags.

(Message edited by wood on January 13, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian, I believe Northern is closed.

Also, I agree with Wood.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe it or not Brian, Detroit has advantages over Rochester...

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 501
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Boston Edison was part of the mayor's Next Detroit enterprise zones programs?

French777

Post Number: 304
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to like Rochester for its Small Town Charm ,but now it is, Condo's here and Rochester City Walk shopping center there. It is turning into a Royal Oak or Birmingham!

French777

Post Number: 305
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to like Rochester for its Small Town Charm ,but now it is, Condo's here and Rochester City Walk shopping center there. It is turning into a Royal Oak or Birmingham!

321brian

Post Number: 530
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte,

How would you know 700 mile away? Why don't you move back if it's so great?

Why don't you name a few advantages of living (owning a home) in Detroit over Rochester?

What is wrong with Royal Oak and Birmingham? Last time I checked they both had good/great schools, safe/clean streets, good police and fire response times, and a majority of residents who take pried in keeping their homes kept up.

Living in Detroit is a good idea in theory but it is a long way from becoming a smart thing to do.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian said: "What is wrong with Royal Oak and Birmingham? Last time I checked they both had good/great schools, safe/clean streets, good police and fire response times, and a majority of residents who take pried in keeping their homes kept up.

Living in Detroit is a good idea in theory but it is a long way from becoming a smart thing to do."

And this is why Detroit will almost never come back. The people that would help make Detroit a better place are viciously discouraged from coming anywhere near the city. Every attempt anyone makes to make the city better is fought at every turn. Worst of all, once the hate mongers are successful in running away anyone that would benefit the city they look back and say, "see, told you it was a dump!"

Good job 321brian. I hope you are able to run every last worthwhile person away from Detroit so it can prove just how much of a dump it is.

BRAVO!

(Message edited by Crumbled_pavement on January 13, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Royal Oak, Birmingham and Rochester are very desirable cities for their small village charm. However, it's just for that. I just can't stand how they're trying so hard to bring Detroit (or the urban life) to the suburbs because of how people such as 321Brian encourages them to do so.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 899
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boston Edison needs to fence off the streets with private security so there is some semblance of security. Private roads with security, (because the police wont do it) would help keep this area the prime home area that it is.

Elwoodp
Username: Elwoodp

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one is a little more than $10k, but I would move in tomorrow if I could afford it:

http://www.realtor.com/realest ate/1093045356/

Just amazing...does anyone know the history of this house?

I couldn't afford the property taxes and utilities much less the mortgage payment. I also suspect the asking price was much higher just a few years ago.

321brian

Post Number: 531
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why doesn't anyone have anything to say about Leftys post?

If Detroit put out a good product i.e. safe neighborhoods, cleanliness, good schools, reasonable taxes,...... then maybe people would have more of a reason to move back other than hope.

It's not like Royal Oak and Birmingham are new kids on the block. People have been living in these towns for hundreds of years.

People come to these towns (and they are that just towns) because of what they can't get in Detroit anymore.

If you make it better more people will move in than move out.

There is no reason residents of Detroit can't even pick up after themselves. At least make a little effort to make your home look better.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, one reason to live in Detroit is that you have a different aesthetic. In my opinion, there are parts of Birmingham and Royal Oak that are nice looking, but mostly the houses are pretty unattractive. Some formerly OK parts of Birmingham have been ruined by unbelievably misguided teardowns and out-of-scale renovations. I hardly ever go to Rochester, so I can't speak to that.

On the other hand, there are many sections of Detroit that I think look good. People who only drive down the freeways or the main streets don't get a good sense of how attractive a lot of the neighborhoods are.

As I have mentioned in another thread somewhere, I don't think most people care that much about what their neighborhood looks like. My evidence for that (aside from talking to people) is that if they did they probably wouldn't live where they do, and developers wouldn't have successfully developed the kinds of subdivision they have.

People don't all have to value things the same way, which is fortunate because they don't. There are perfectly good reasons for people to be concerned about taxes and schools and crime, and I can't criticize people who think those issues are the important ones to them. No doubt the worse those problems are, the smaller the number of people who will want to live in Detroit.

The interesting thing is that despite those problems, there are a considerable number of people who choose to live in Detroit. I don't think that is only about hope, although I imagine optimists are probably overrepresented in that group.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elwoodp, that house on W. Boston was the Benjamin Siegel mansion, designed by Albert Kahn. Here's a photo with a little more info:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7 1288712@N00/561170412

I've been keeping an eye on it--when it came on the market a couple years ago, it was $990,000, I think. Not that I could even afford the taxes!

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the problem with Boston Edison is the location... You've got the Lodge cutting through it, Highland park to the north, and some pretty blighted areas just blocks away... it's the drastic change once you leave the area that dissuades many homebuyers from picking up these fixer uppers... It's just so depressing.

and the taxes are also a very big problem... the city isn't reducing the SEV's on these homes, so you're stuck with these rates.

Does BE qualify for NEZ?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if i had about 50 grand lying around, i could say good bye to my young adult soon to be newlyweds living in my basement. and 2 out of 3 cats. bought my house too soon last year whatever city i bought in.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 625
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick skim of the numbers seems to indicate that property taxes will equal or exceed a standard 15-year note. And this is why Detroit will not "come back."

Property taxes in Detroit are one of only a few exceptions to the rule that 'you get what you pay for.'

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 505
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are these homes fixer-uppers or would they require MAJOR renovation. That is the big question.

Asbury
Username: Asbury

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BE is in an enterprize zone. From the BE website:

A Great Time to Buy

Real estate is a buyer's market now, especially in southeast Michigan. If your dream is to own an historic home, whether to live in or to renovate, this is an opportune time. Boston-Edison has been named an Enterprise Zone, and new owners may be eligible for a substantial property tax credit. Houses are available in all areas of the historic district, in all sizes and styles, and in a wide range of prices. Some houses are in move-in condition. Others need owners committed to renovating them and bringing them up to their potential. Take a look at homes for sale in Boston-Edison right now!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ventura, food is really a non issue. With Eastern Market, Honey Bee, Mike's Fresh, University Foods and others all offering wonderful fresh and reasonably prices food options... As far as private schools go:

Waldorf is maybe the perfect private education one could get. The Detroit school is in Indian Village and offers education up until 8th grade... If you have boys, U-D Jesuit is a good highschool option. It is technically religeous, but from friends of mine who went there, it really doesn't sound like that plays very much into their system.

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a resident of Boston-Edison, I can refute Brian321 and say that Detroit is a great place to live. It's all perspective and what you value in a place to live. I won't go beyond that, otherwise we're simply in the same argument that's been rehashed thousands of times before.

If you want a real perspective on what it's like to live in Boston Edison, and get answers to all of the typical Detroit living questions, (and understand why those homes are appear to be so cheap) then write me at ktspieles @ gmail . com

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 990
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of misinformation about these B-E properties and property taxes in this thread. First of all, those sub-$70K homes listed on the B-E Association site are all massive fixer-upper purchases. Nothing close to liveable. Anything in that price range in B-E is either fire damaged, water damaged, stripped of fixtures and copper, or all of the above. Next, folks may rest assured that $15K houses in Detroit do not come with $11K annual property tax bills. Homestead millage in Detroit is around 67 right now and state law requires SEV to be one-half of fair market value. That means that $50K houses in Detroit should have tax bills of approx. $1,700. Anything significantly higher than that could be successfully appealed to the Michigan Tax Tribunal. Some of these very cheap houses are probably victims of mortgage fraud and have been sold within the past five years for significantly higher prices, but those fraudulently high prices cannot lock in high assessments indefinitely. By law, assessments are subject to annual adjustments, and in certain emergency circumstances, mid-year adjustments. It is true that some of these houses might have large outstanding property tax bills covering 2-3 years worth of taxes, but the annual tax levy should not be anywhere near $11K.

(Message edited by swingline on January 14, 2008)

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 599
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the taxes are pretty cheap on some of these houses? I liked some of them. I liked the last one which is a Tudor style. Me & my girl have been looking at houses online. Found a couple good websites for looking up old homes. Me & my girl are partial to victorian houses. Ive seen the ones in Brush Park. They are doing a nice job with the restoration on some of them. Does anyone know whats going to happen with the rest of the empty lots? Is there any plans for re-building the same style home from old plans on those lots?

Mwilbert

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is very unlikely that would be done on a large scale, because the result would be prohibitively expensive relative to what you could sell it for. All that Victorian detail costs money.

Someone could probably buy a lot in that area and build one if they really wanted. Unfortunately for people who like Victorians, there aren't a lot of them in Detroit. Tudors, on the other hand, are relatively common.

Victorians in Michigan tend to be in the lumber/mining towns that never had any subsequent development so the buildings were never replaced. The auto industry developed too late for people to build Victorians during the boom.

Mwilbert

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, I shouldn't forget Corktown...