Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 'Raymond James' Building » Archive through December 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did someone buy the 'Raymond James' Building on Jefferson? The 'For Sale' sign on the building is gone.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 760
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed a few lights on in the building, but I am not sure what is going on....

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the scientologists are moving in.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3295
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Raymond's brother Jesse was moving in

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 578
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lights on? More than usual, you mean? It's an abandoned, dusty hulk, but a few interior lights almost always seem to be left on.

Remember Superbowl? Some civic boosters got into a number of the empty buildings and floors and switched on lights.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was serious about the scientologists. Walk by and see for yourself.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they're from L. Ron Hubbard Farms? LMAO!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5720
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raymond's sister Etta moved in. Cousin Reuben moved in too. Uncle Harry plays music in the basement. James Jamerson stops by after gigs.

jjaba, LOL.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 761
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it sold

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 985
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knows? Could be the new offices of Author Services, Bridge Publications. Galaxy Press and The Church Of Spiritual Technology......

Jjaba

Post Number: 5722
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit should be so lucky. Look what the LDS Church did for the growth of Salt Lake City. No Mormons, no city, really. Alls jjaba knows from LDS is Lox, Danish, and Salami.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Lefty2

Post Number: 762
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scientologists have a ton of cash, they bought a bunch of buildings in Hollywood.
-They can singlehandedly turn Detroit around :-)
Their scheme is to lure people in with free psychological exams and then they will say you flunked (or something:-) and then will use high pressure to get you to buy a book. If you cave in and buy one then they know you are weak and may be a potential member for their brainwashing.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5724
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they still doing the psycchological tests? That's so 70s. Tom Cruise could invent something new for crissakes. (pun intended.)

jjaba.

Fordaspiregv
Username: Fordaspiregv

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That new LDS church near I-75 and Rosa Parks was a surprise. Its nice to see new construction in that area.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funny Lefty2, been hitting the South Park a little hard?!

"The Company recently relocated its Detroit, Michigan
operations to a newly renovated 84,000 square foot building on 14 acres in
Southfield, Michigan. The Company owns that real estate as well as a 45,000
square foot building in Detroit that previously housed those operations. The
Company intends to sell the Detroit building."

Sounds like they're going against the grain. While more and more companies are getting out of the burbs, they are moving in.

Lefty2

Post Number: 768
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Date of sale - 10/19/2007 price around 3.5 mill.
Grantor Name RAYMOND JAMES & ASSOCIATES INC SBM
Grantee Name CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY OF MICHIGAN

Funny but true, It is amazing how many recruits they get from walking the streets in Hollywood. (like runaway homeless and prostitutes) All the souls trying to get an acting job in LA usually walk around Hollywood at some point and the see all the Scientology buildings and they know the big actors that belong so they might think it would be a good 'IN' to get an acting job. They even have a hotel there to keep recruits inside so they can further brainwash them and keep them from friends.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...DIANETICS IS TRUTH...

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm Raymond James...b**ch! :-)

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3330
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am really surprised that the Scientologists bought that building - what the heck will they do with a building that size

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AS I tell the story (stop me if you've already heard it) this building is a George D Mason event and features some subtle Parducci detailing on the exterior and some amazing bronze grillwork inside. I say, check it out while you still can. eeeeeeek

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They own plenty of real estate in downtown Clearwater, Fla. Their growth is dependent on "recruiting" new followers - which I'm sure is the plan here. Not opposed - but also not interested in joining.

Detroit may soon see a lot of white shirt/khaki pants new students on the street. Might a Tom Cruise appearance be next?

Kslice

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait, where is this building? I must not be thinking of the right one.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I am picturing it, it is located at Griswold & Jefferson. OR do I have the wrong one? And to make it worse, I can't find pictures anywhere. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 591
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got it, Carp. Grey stone and maybe seven or eight stories high. Across the street from One Woodward/"Gas Building."

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just remember what Scientology did for Tom Cruise...

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't the Scientologists turning Clearwater, FL into their version of Salt Lake City? I saw a tv special on it once. They invested a ton of money into the town. Only issue the city was having was their tax status. The church of scientology was buying up a bunch of prime land, fixing it up real nice, but since the buildings were all for "religious" use, the property was no longer on the tax rolls.

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best picture I have:

rjames

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a Google-Street View:

rjames2

Kslice

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics.

Locano
Username: Locano

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, speaking of Etta James, she's going to be at the Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts on April 11!

I'm really excited to see her, even though I'm getting charged up the ass for tickets.