Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Sad State of Detroit TV News « Previous Next »
Archive through January 17, 2008Sstashmoo30 01-17-08  2:47 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
No 412 squadron, RCAF
Killed 11 December 1941

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingellgirl:.......you certainly can come up with the Detroit trivia....Eastside or Westside?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6166
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the memories Gingellgirl!

That was one of my all time favorite memories watching TV as a kid!

That and watching Hockey Night in Canada with the original 6 hockey teams, watching the limbo contests with Poop Deck Paul, Popeye with Captain Jolly, Milkie the Clown, Razzle Dazzle, The Friendly Giant, Clutch Cargo, Felix the Cat, Dark Shadows, Carol Duvall, At The Zoo With Sonny Elliot, Rita Bell Prize Movie, Bill Kennedy At The Movies... and a host of other oldies... :-)

Gingellgirl... whom I've had the pleasure of going to lunch with... is a Northsider!

(Message edited by Gistok on January 17, 2008)

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northsider?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6167
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North Oakland County... Gingellville...

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember turning off the tube after the national anthem, when it went to static, and then waiting for the "white dot" to disappear.

God, I feel old... :-)

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh...hailing from........well........7 and Kelly originaly but in Oaklnd co. now I see the connection

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former Westsider, though. Rouge Park area. I'm Day-twah through and through.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3204
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lou Gordon would've been a trip to have when Romney was in town last/this week.

I wonder how his election chances would've turned out after being interviewed?

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankly, the test pattern is better than the infomercials they show now in the middle of the night.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm no old-timer and I remember test patterns and the Star-Spangled Banner (and Oh Canada on CBC) sign-off."

Um....it's "O Canada", not "Oh". But I am an old timer and I can remember Channel 9 signing off with "God Save the Queen". Now, does that date me or not? :-)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always liked Canadian T.V. better than what this side of the river has to offer.
Back in the early seventies, CKCO ch. 32, had late night European movies and art films that our stations still would not touch to this day. I guess murder and gore plays better over here than honest nudity.
And I've always wondered about our local news being broadcast on cable in far Northwestern Canada? They have to watch the same crap that we're complaining about here.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb, if you mean Southwest Ontario, then yes (if they choose to).

I'm almost positive NW Canada is unable to pick up our signal here in Detroit.

Bigb23

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise -

I've read of a company in Windsor, that broadcasts our over the air content in Detroit to a satellite link for re-broadcast in W.N.W. Canada. Strange but true.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTVS is actually a "superstation" for Canada-- Detroit Public TV is seen all over Canada.

I'm surprised that one of us more experienced members hasn't said "I'm neither westside or eastside... I'm from Boofland!"

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why waste your time.

My parents and grandparents love watching the news. Local and national. Sometimes CNN or Fox News.

I'm 26 and I just have NEVER gotten into that. Its boring as crap to watch, they don't really report anything useful (always about some crime, or some chemical that might be in your home and your kid might end up with some disease, or some stupid cat is stuck in a tree, etc). Makes you think that if you step outside you're gonna be murdered or robbed or raped or carjacked or get a disease. Its ridiculous. I really only like the weather.

I just find when I wanna know what's going on, I jump on the net, hit CNN.com or the free press or ESPN or the weather channel, read the stories that show up there that I'm interested in and I'm done.

And believe it or not, I love the Daily Show. Yeah they don't tell ya a whole lot, but you do learn some stuff, all while laughing a whole lot. Sure is a lot better way to look at the world I guess. Enjoy the ride instead of being paranoid constantly. I actually notice the difference myself. When I do actually watch CNN or Fox News, I realize I do start worrying more. Not freak-out worried, but I do think about a whole lot of things I really can't control. Why would I want to live my life feeling like that? It is also interesting to me too that crimes are at 1960's levels today, yet I bet if you did a poll, most Americans would say crime is far worse today than it was back then. I can't help but think the news has something to do with all that.

And don't think it is just Detroit. Besides WGN at 9 in Chicago, the rest of them stink. San Francisco was also terrible. No matter where you go, most of it is shock-and-awe type journalism, where they're gonna tell ya about something terrible or something that could kill you, etc, and always with dramatic music and speeh delivery. Just tell me the freakin news. Its become a game.

(Message edited by Jerome81 on January 18, 2008)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Um....it's "O Canada", not "Oh"'

Good catch Ray. There's a joke there but I'll leave that be for the evening.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what was Ray Bradbury trying to say in Fahrenheit 451

Bigb23

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81 -

"And believe it or not, I love the Daily Show."

I'm 53, and loved "The Colbert Report" when I had cable. Everything he did was classic, and the best form of T.V. as I knew it!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 786
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody catch on the Channel 4 news today a story about a few illegal chop shops in the garages in NE Detroit at Rex and 8 Mile. Now the story of the operation is fine and all but about 1/2 way in the story they start talking about how the neighborhood has been in decline and used to be nice. Then they bring up how they shot guns off as well. I know that these are true and legitimate problems with Detroit but I hated how they had to throw in how the neighborhood was now in decline. It seems like they are just reminding people that Detroit is getting worse even the nice neighborhoods. Again I agree that it is a problem but I would say that should be its own story. Take a look.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/15085760/detail.html

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the dailies only manage to provide 4 pages of local coverage (2 of which are obituaries) for a Metro area with 4.5 million people, then you'll know that there is NO local coverage.

Wait a minute.....they do that now.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 189
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a national problem, network television news is crappy everywhere, in every US market.

Real TV journalism died the day the major networks made news programs (and those of their affiliates) responsible for generating income. News departments were no longer supported by the Entertainment division.

It's all about generating ratings and advertising dollars. The notion of what's "newsworthy" (once a high standard) is now distorted and bastardized.

The real journalists have fled, screaming into the streets. They write grant proposals for non-profits and brochures for nursing homes.

What you're watching now are "personalities". Call it "brown journalism"...pre-digested waste.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 219
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i visit my relatives 'up north' northern mich tv news makes detroit or WGN look good. 9/10 seems to rule every thing north of flint. thanks to the inventor of the dish.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To echo some of the posts, I sure do miss Lou Gordon!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 575
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog:
You are spot-on. If we think we have crappy news, just go up north ... teeth grindingly bad. There you get true unprofessionals who are desperatly trying to be funny and witty and oh so hip. They are so bad because they are trying to mirror what they see from large markets like Detroit.

Oh, the fluff pieces they do about the 4 H or the local quilting bee or the man who makes door knockers from old railroad ties or bedpans or clothes pins ... horrid.

I wish the local news (tv and Print) people would follow up on stories. What happened to that guy who killed that family while they slept? Those people who firebombed that grandma's house? stuff like that.

Scott Lewis seems like a old-time news man. He put in a ton of time, a series of stories about Lonnie Bates, before the Feds woke up and did their own.

A lot of folks don't like Steve Wilson, but whenever he reports on something, you know folks start talking about it.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish they would stop telling us what they are going to tell us in the next segment. Big waste of my time. Also live from the eastside... Please give me a more exact location. Also standing in front of a building where something will take place or did take place seems a hugh waste of gas!

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the voice of Ken Cline on what was then WJBK-TV2, saying "It's eleven PM...do you know where YOUR children are??" Ken was one of the first TV anchors on TV2, and went on to booth announcing and voiceovers. He was one classy guy. I worked at TV2 from 1971-1980. My vote for top newscasters goes to Jac LeGoff.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning on the local "news" there was a woman with a piece of toast that she said has the image of Kwame Kilpatrick on it.

WTF ?

Maryellen22471
Username: Maryellen22471

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the sign off back in the 1970's as well...but CBC windsor doesn't sign off anymore.

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need hardhitting stories like this: "A La Jolla man CLINGS TO LIFE tonight in a university hospital after being attacked by a pack of wild dogs..in an abandoned pool.." You stay classy, Detroit

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Woman CREATES Toast Resembling Kwame Kilpatrick."
That's about the point where I turned off the TV in disgust.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the early '80s I spent two years working at Channel 7. I was the second tier sports guy behind Dave Diles...Steve Garagiola was the weekend sports anchor and a great guy. I always worked the six oclock evening news with Jac, Doris and Gerry Hodak. THis was when the station did the 5pm news with Billy, Diana, Diles and Rob Kress. At 11 it was Bonds, Lewis, Diles and Hodak---all the stars hitting at 11 pm. While I was from the Detroit area, I had spent three years in Dallas where they had to manufacture news. Dallas had its share of crime, but didn't have the union elements, the political changes going on. When I was signed on at Ch7,I was thrilled watching a news team cover news with only an occasional bow to lightweight stuff with feature reporters reporting on Christmas cookies in the shape of downtown Detroit buildings. Of course, the style of news at that time reflected the lifestyle of the city.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroit's TV news is doing a fantastic job, they are Topical, Timely and Relevent, especially Channel 7 ... loaded with talent...

I like "In your face" Steve Wilson...whata guy

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local news has expanded into such a huge block of time that they now resemble tabloids in their eagerness to overdramatize the mundane.

When I was a kid, the news came on at 6pm, so as to not interfere with dinnertime. It lasted a half hour, which included 5 minute segments each of weather and sports. There were no live reports of burning houses or lurid video of traffic accidents or shootings. There were no "teasers" about upcoming segments to try and keep the audience tuned in.

But the sad truth is that the audience has changed. The majority of people out there find the real news boring. They don't want stories about issues, they want tabloid headlines about sex and scandals. They want to gawk like idiots at crap spoon-fed to them by people who can't even pronounce the names in the stories. Local news crews, whether here or elsewhere, nationwide, give them just what they ask for.

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, Gargoyle.

There's room in this world for both the National Enquirer and the New York Times. Personally, I'd prefer to watch the NY Times-style news, but my only option in Detroit is tabloid journalism.

I just wish one local Detroit TV news operation would embrace higher standards and a tad more integrity.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gargoyle,

Your post is an Ernie Harwell home run! Right on the money!

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharms..What is your name..I am drawing a blank

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Harms......I was only there about two years....not long in those days for a Ch 7 tenure. I replaced Larry Adderly and was replaced by Jay Berry. Al Ackerman was at Ch 4. Don Shane was relatively new at Channel 4. Ray Lane was at Channel 2. I loved Channel 7, but received a great offer from the CBS station in Denver to be the lead guy. I had worked in Colorado Springs right out of Michigan State and loved the mountains so the opportunity to go west was one I couldn't resist.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 224
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“The one function that TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were.”
-David Brinkley

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharms..Yes indeed I did Camera work for Cable/Independant Buick Open,ect...Love the old days of sports 5 min or so...Now 1-2 min sad state of affairs...You still in Denver..Good to hear from you

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High Flight
"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth....
Put out my hand and touched the face of God. "

Sound familiar?
Peggy Noonan, Reagan's speech writer "borrowed" it for the shuttle disaster speech. Steal from the giants, if yer gonna steal, I say.

Remember when Channel 9 played the "tick tock" song and signed off by grabbing the switcher fader and pulling it?
They would show the inside of the studio, which I loved!

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about last nights story on channel 4...

"Orb Hunting: Reality or Myth?"
they actually did PROMOS for it!

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Qdaddy77--not only did they have Ama Daetz live from a cemetery--they stretched the story out into the morning newscast the following day.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.