Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 2008 DY Michigan Presidential Primary Exit Poll » Archive through January 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 640
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RUDY....hahahahahhha douche!

This isn't Notre Dame...nice slogan.

F-em all!

Why bother voting...they're all the same.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uncommitted, ballot 001 in Plymouth Twp. this morning at 7:01 am.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for those of you debating whether or not MI is sending delegates, and how many.

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps /pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date= 20080111&Category=POLITICS01&A rtNo=801110358&Ref=H3

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080111/P OLITICS01/801110358

btw, I love how these people call candidates douches and other names, or say how one is better than another, yet refuse to vote.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were problems with a computerized voting machine in Michigan already this morning. Make sure yours seems to work. http://mparent7777-2.blogspot. com/2008/01/michigan-primary-v ote-fraud-underway.html

According to http://blackboxvoting.org/ , Obama did 7% better in NH places where his ballots were hand counted locally than in places where computers were used and the results tabulated by the LHS company. This isn't to say that there was fraud but consider taking action if something seems amiss.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 515
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm trying to decide if it's even worth voting today.

quote:

Why bother voting...they're all the same.

Typical attitudes. Maybe get informed? Part of the reason this city is in the shape it is, is because of that kind of apathy. Maybe you should vote not because of the primary, but because it's also on the ballot whether or not to give the school board subpoena power. Or maybe you don't care about that, either?

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted Kucinich.
I'd love to see him beat Hillary.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be voting UNCOMMITTED after work today.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll probably vote for Hillary. If Obama and Edwards were on the ticket, I don't know if I'd vote for them anyway. I thought about voting Republican as a trick vote ("Dems for Mitt" and all that), but I can't bring myself to ask for a Republican ballot. Kucinich is an awesome guy, but I don't think he can win over middle American and beat the GOP.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3289
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DSmith:

The presidential preference of the pledged delegates and alternates to be elected at the district
level will be determined by the results of the January 15, 2008 presidential primary.
1) The Chair shall notify each district chair by March 3, 2008 of the delegate and alternate
allocation by presidential candidate including uncommitted for each district.
2) In making the allocation, the Chair shall follow the following guidelines:
a) Tabulate the percentage of the vote that each presidential candidate (including
uncommitted) receives in the congressional district to three decimals.
b) Retabulate the percentage of the vote to three decimals, received by each
presidential candidate excluding the votes of presidential candidate(s) (including
uncommitted) whose percentage in "a)" falls below 15%.
c) Multiply the number of delegates to be allocated by the percentage received by
each presidential candidate (including uncommitted) as calculated in “b)”.
d) Delegates shall be allocated to each presidential candidate (including
uncommitted) based on the whole numbers which result from the multiplication in
"c)".
e) Remaining delegates, if any, shall be awarded in order of the highest fractional
remainders in "c)".

Michigan has 156 democratic delegates and Florida has 210. That's 366 delegates.

What has been determined by insiders is the following:

1) It is conceivable that going into the convention, neither candidiate will have enough votes to clinch the nomination, in which case, there will be a need to seat the 366 delegates to produce a winner.

2)If there is a clear winner by the convention, the candidate with the enough votes to have the nomination will not want to piss of the democrats in Florida or Michigan, key battle ground states for the presidency, so both delegations will be seated at the convention by the request of the nominee.

There is no scenario by which these delegates will not be seated.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 549
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted at 2:00 PM. I was voter number 235 in my precinct. My Democratic ballot was number 54. I didn't realize it was that lop-sided here in northern Macomb county.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i really wanted to vote for Paul, but I just couldnt vote republican again, i also did not want to vote democratic because how they punished mi this year. so i voted kucinich.

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uncommitted (Obama)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 647
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dennis Kucinich. Considered Mcain.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another crossover for Mitt. Would never vote for him in the general but he's the least nutty of the Republican field.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4295
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kucinich.

See also: Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Zulu Poll For the Dems: Clinton, Kucinich, or Uncommitted ?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted McCain. "Uncommitted" wasn't good enough for me. I'd be happy to cross back over during the General Election if a Democrat can convince me they want my vote from Michigan.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 442
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uncommitted

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2700
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The presidential preference of the pledged delegates and alternates to be elected at the district level will be determined by the results of the January 15, 2008 presidential primary.

That's a really elaborate procedure to select delegates who won't get to vote.

Sorry to digress. Back to the point of this thread: I crossed over and voted for Romney. I also convinced at least 1 other person to do the same. My only regret is that I couldn't convince more.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can we post about the results on this thread ?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romney won the Republican Primary.

CNN

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 455
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rudy.

I'd rather give myself an enema with tabasco than vote dem.

Somerset_girl
Username: Somerset_girl

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uncommitted and disappointed to have to do so.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted, have voted, and will always vote, by secret ballot.

If a pollster was to ask me who I voted for, I would say, "None of your damned business."

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it is the GOVERNOR who is typically responsible for a states poor economy, etc. and not the PRESIDENT. But our Governor isn't pulling through.I felt it was worth the risk to go with Romney. He has roots both in Michigan and our huge auto industry. He may actually help us.
I should have voted Clinton. I want to vote AGAINST Obama at any cost. I see him as way too passive to lead a nation as large and powerful as ours. I also read his churchs mission statement on their web site. Members are expected to have a "commitment to Africa". This is the United States and I want my president commited to the US.He even said he would try to make Kenya a partner of the US. Say what you want about Clinton, I still believe her focus is on the USA and only the USA, not a split loyalty to another country. I honestly question where obamas real loyalty lies. I dont want to have to question national loyalty in a candidate.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 529
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Don't tell that to Romney, Hpgrmln. I personally, thought it was a bad strategy for Romney to come into Michigan and place the blame of our state economy on national level politics, when for the past two years, Michigan Republican's have been mercilessly despising Granholm. Apparently, most thought otherwise.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4349
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the results make me very let down about the state of the Michigan populace. They opted to be delusional, wishful thinkers who listened to a man tell them that we could stop the flight of manufacturing jobs and improve our state's economy at the federal level. They reasoned the way Hpgrmln did, and they were way off. The man is trying to get elected-- they all are-- but you need to get behind the man whose words are more honest than the rest. The fact is, when McCain told us the jobs aren't coming back, he was being more honest than any politician speaking in Michigan for a long time.

Romney did the equivalent of getting down on his hands and knees to beg for the Michigan Republicans' vote today, and it worked because there is a lack of pragmatism and, to be frank, knowledge, in the Michigan electorate. He also paid for our vote, quite literally, and that is a sign of things to come.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6148
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well McCain may have spoken more the truth than Romney... but when he said "we'll get other jobs... better jobs"... that kind of ruined it for me... just more political blather.

I think that Romney being President is the best thing that can happen for Michigan (and I'm a centrist leaning Democratic).

It is after all his home state. Even though he was governor of Massachusetts (and before that ran the Olympics in Atlanta), he chose Michigan to start his campaign. If Michigan leads his way towards the White House, then I think he will be beholden to us even more so.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4351
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cmon, Gistok, we were totally getting used.

You think he's the best for Michigan because you believe him, but Michigan has problems that only Michigan can solve. State level legislation needs to focus on fostering the development of our old cities, and their school districts. It also needs to attract an extremely diverse array of employers, as Granholm has articulated (but she has no idea how to do this). Furthermore, the City of Detroit needs to go all out to continue to foster neighborhood development, move companies downtown, build MORE TRANSIT, engage metropolitan cooperation, balance a budget, and improve government efficiency and credibility. And, finally, the Big Three need to go all out and make their lineups more efficient and of higher quality. They need a lesson in competing, not a government bailout. And to compete, they will need to void their union contracts and go for massive cuts (smaller lineups, smaller companies, and enormous investments in new fuel technologies instead). There will be a period of purge, but it should yield great long-term gains.

As someone who studies economics and government expenditures, I implore you to believe that the federal government can do very little for us, especially in terms of saving/creating jobs. I just don't see the means for making this happen. They can do a lot of nice little things for us, like giving us a grant for A2-Detroit transit (which we still haven't cashed in on yet), but other than random pork, don't ever count on the federal government.

Michigan will only change itself if it starts caring about its cities. This will not occur at the federal level, and, in truth, it's up to Michiganders.

In case you were wondering, I have very little faith in them, too.

So let's just hold out for a miracle.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uncommitted, but for the first time ever, I contemplated voting Republican (McCain).

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uncommitted. Obama would have gotten my vote if he had been on the ballot. This entire process is, in a word, WICKED.