Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » MSU's new Art Museum » Archive through January 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iraqi born British resident Zaha Hadid is going to design MSU's new art museum.
It will be only her second building in the US.
She did the new art museum in Cincinnati a few years ago.
I've been a huge fan of hers for over ten years.
Her designs are amazingly fascinating and futuristic and tend to be contoversial.
Some architects/engineers have said that some of her designs are simply impossible to build.
To me she's a modern day Gaudi.
I still can't believe that one of Zaha's buildings will be in Michigan.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080115/M ETRO/801150434/1361

Here's a link to her profile:
http://www.designmuseum.org/de sign/zaha-hadid

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a LOT more exciting than both the UMMA and DIA expansions...at least in terms of museum architecture.

(Message edited by arab_guyumich on January 16, 2008)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4356
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No comment. Just 'cause I don't want to offend those of you which clearly love this.

We haven't seen the finished product at UMMA yet, but it is pretty 'out there.' I thought it was a pretty poorly conceived plan.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6152
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... just wait until MSU students start walking all over that roof... or slide down it like a giant slide!

A few beers and it'll be the most popular building for students on campus! :-(

... and of course... this is the umpteenth modern building with a carport roof.

Thank God the new and innovative Cadillac Center gets away from the old un-innovative carport gimmick...

Dialh4hipster obviously has never been away to college (updated comment).

(Message edited by Gistok on January 16, 2008)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 562
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok is right, but WOW--this is a stunning building, and this is coming from a Wolverine. Bravo to lil bro MSU for scoring a nice one.

Needless to say I'm still waiting for the UMMA expansion to make any judgements on it. But I will say my first thought when I saw those plans was, "what are they thinking?"

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's clearly a forward-looking building with a sense of what's going on in contemporary architecure. It's about time someone in this state started paying attention.

I actually read about it on this blog by an ex-pat:
http://brianfichtner.typepad.c om/praxis/2008/01/and-the-muse um.html

Mackinaw won't be happy unless it's a pyramid on a standard city grid. And Gistok ... you're like my old man uncle who complains about anything newer than 1956.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4358
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Hmm a grid would be a little out of context on the MSU campus, no?

I've lended some pretty strong support to Cadillac Centre on the forum, too. But thanks for keeping tabs on what old Mackinaw is thinking!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 876
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing that bothers me is the location...

This will be built at the corner of Grand River and Collingwood. For those of you not acclimated with East Lansing, this is on the eastern edge of the historic "North Campus".

The buildings in this section of campus range from 70 (Natural Sciences) to 120 (Morrill Hall) years old. The area is loaded with green spaces and trees. I assume that it will be built in the wooded area in front of Mason Residence Hall. If this is the case, we will see historical and modern designs clash.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 507
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Star,

I believe it will actually be built on the parcel of land across East Circle from the Student Services building. In my opinion, while it is nearby a lot of the great old architecture of the north part of campus, it is a bit isolated from it. Also, with it being across the street from the Student Services building, which is a building that also clashes with the architecture nearby, it will "fit in" better.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 877
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Jim, Student Services is the ugly duckling of north campus.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn straight. That building hit every ugly tree on the way down. I swear to god that at some point in the 50s or 60s, architects around the world lost their mind.

However, back on subject, MSU's campus is set to change quite a bit in the next few years with some exciting new buildings and renovations.

1. The Eli Broad Art Museum we are discussing right now.

2. The expansion of the Duffy Daugherty Football building and the creation of the new plaza in front of it

3. Proposed renovation of the Wharton Center

4. Expansion of the Kresge Art Museum

5. Moving the MSU Museum off campus to the old bank at Michigan & Abbott.

6. Improved facilities at Kobs and Old College Field

Couple this with the already completed, recent renovations to Snyder-Phillips, the construction of the parking structure that amazingly blended in with the North Campus architecture, the expansion of Spartan Stadium, and the expansion of the Chem building and it is not hard to see the improvements occurring in all facets of campus life from athletics to the arts and from dorm living to teaching space. This is a very dynamic time for MSU and Lou Anna K Simon is doing an outstanding job providing the vision.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 878
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont forget the new University Village on Kalamazoo St., chemistry expansion, and the new green research facility planned for Service Rd. and the new MSU medical facilities in Grand Rapids and Metro Detroit.

Cavanagh
Username: Cavanagh

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More images:

http://special.newsroom.msu.ed u/broadmuseum/

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Paolucci Building across from Student Services-- a totally unique transition between the Collegiate Gothic and International styles- was torn down last month to make room for the new MSU art musuem.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 509
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the Paolucci building used for?

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ElJimbo...since you seem to have the pulse up there... What is the Kresge going to be used for now? Is it going to be another museum?

What are they doing with the old MSU Museum building? converting to classrooms? When is that move?

neat stuff. guess I should read my alumni magazine more closely.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgs,

The EL in my name isn't because a hispanic background on my part. The reason I may have "the pulse" or not is because I still live and work in East Lansing.

As far as how the museums are going to work, I have heard that the new museum will focus on more modern and contemporary art and will eventually receive a rather healthy donation of works from Eli Broad's personal collection. Kresge will still be used as an art museum and there are even plans for expanding it. Kresge will be used to display the university's collection of more classical works ranging from 17th and 18th century on back to Greek and Roman art.

As far as the MSU Museum is concerned, I'm not as up to date on that as I would like to be. Apparently there were some decisions made on it last month but I can't find anything on it.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El- Thanks. Its about time some use was found for that bank building. Seems like that thing has been empty forever.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 880
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new MSU museum for the GR/Abbott site is still several years off. It will go in a new building on that location. Right now the empty bank is still there. I dont recall where I saw renderings for it...maybe UP?

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations all around to Zaha Hadid, Eli Broad, the MSU Board and students and alumni. This is a great addition to MSU, and will be a major attraction. Perhaps this will attract other high profile architecture projects to campus . . . maybe even encourage an architecture program at MSU (and I don't mean landscape architecture).

El_jimbo

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingell,

I'd settle for some more funding for the Urban Planning program. Yes, we were a small group, but it wouldn't have hurt if we had a bit more resources.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great and makes me even MORE proud to be a Spartan

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend that worked in that bank in '93 so it probably closed in the mid to late 90's?

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.2020vision.msu.edu/ construction/update.jsp

Campus master plan (updated a few months ago)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 882
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A piece of the 2020 Vision that is not on the website and is still being thrown around is the mass transit system that the MSU administration is pushing for.

According to rumblings from various sources, if the higher ups have their way, we will see a monorail type of system. There was an interesting piece in The State News a year or so ago that showed a map with 3 people mover style loops that converged at what is now the Shaw Lane parking lots.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to remember talk about a people mover back as far as the early 90's going from the Capital to campus. It think Lansing has a long way to go before that would become a reality. However, if a strong sustainable living movement gets a foothold who knows.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The #1 CATA route which runs down Michigan Avenue and Grand River from near the Capitol, past downtown East Lansing, out to the Meridian Mall is similar to the woodward line is for DDOT. I believe that route could support light rail. However, I'm not sure about the rest of the CATA system.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 883
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father is a big wig over at CATA and he claims their studies show that light rail would be viable on Route 1 as well as campus. It will not happen for a looooong time though. It's just far too expensive.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 513
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well if the feds raise the gas tax by 40 cents a gallon like a panel suggested yesterday then there should be plenty of money to build those light rail routes.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The planned 2020 expansion availability maps show what looks to be the continuation of the second deck all the way around the north side of Spartan Stadium. That would push the attendance figure over 90K.