Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Creem Magazine « Previous Next »
Archive through January 19, 2008Gnome30 01-19-08  9:11 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Silas
Username: Silas

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended some kind of conference many years ago at the U of D. There were several speakers. One was a pretty blond girl that started Creem Magazine. She was very articulate and left an impression. She talked about her Magazine and her position in it.
She looked like she was in her early 20s. She stated her position in the company as something like executive editor, and her three-year-old son’s position as company president.
From what I remember of the magazine, it talked mostly about rock music.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm likely to irritate some of you with this post, and it's not like me to rain on a parade, but I feel compelled to let this out.
I picked up the issue of Metro Times that features Part One of the essay about Creem. I wanted to check it out before commenting on the subject.
In advance, my apology to Oldredfordette, who I like and respect.
Gang, I'm almost sorry to say this, but that essay in MT really over-states the cultural value of Creem. Creem was O.K., but just O.K. When I was buying it, I was quite a bit younger than its staff, and now I'm quite a bit older than its staff was, but paging through one of the copies I still possess brought me to recall that I thought it was weak and trivial at the time, and I have to say that neither the passage of time (35 years) nor my becoming older triggers any different reaction.
Lester Bangs, an "even funnier" Hunter S. Thompson? Yeah; whatever you say, pal. Lester Bangs was an over-rated blowhard who was rapturously in love with the sound of his own voice. The one thing he and Thompson had in common was the fact that, in their writings, the true subject was them. Thompson was amusing; Bangs was tiresome. Dave Marsh, a squirrelly little figure if there ever was one, was an insightful observer and a talented, sincere writer, despite having once hilariously described himself as "a skinny 19-year-old suffering from over-exposure to LSD and the MC5, with absolutely no prospects." Robert Christgau? Another no-account, hipper-than-thou poseur.
At least, the photos in MT were fun to check out. The one of Marsh, flanked by Bangs and Barry Kramer, is a fine timepiece of a shot. Could Marsh and Kramer possibly look any more jaded, worn out, exhausted? So young, so old. But Kramer, well, what can you say about a guy who kills himself overdosing on "Locker Room?" Nitrous oxide! You can't even get a good buzz from that shit. All it does is make your head feel like someone has been inflating it with a bicycle-tire pump.
The photo from the alley caught my eye, too, mostly due to the fact that I recognized one of the characters, and in this case, I do mean a real character: N.C. "Deday" LaRene, who is listed as an editor, but went on to become a hot-shot attorney. The last time I saw Deday-- all 4'10" of him-- he had just recently, and successfully, defended William "Billy Jack" Giacalone against a concealed weapons charge, and I was helping to keep the meter on his glass of Johnny Walker Black on the rocks on Full. That was many years ago. More recently, I heard that he, personally, was up on some charge or another; I hope he's alright. He seemed like a nice guy.
It's just that all of this slobbering over Creem, and its alleged significance, seems a bit over-the-top, to me; in my over-all estimation, Creem was a slapdash rag, a somewhat entertaining trifle. The fawning celebration moves me to ask the younger participants of DY, Have you ever noticed how older folks always act like all the really cool stuff was from before your time?

(Edit for spelling correction)

(Message edited by ravine on January 19, 2008)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 497
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Have you ever noticed how older folks always act like all the really cool stuff was from before your time?

Yes.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3332
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lester Bangs was an over-rated blowhard who was rapturously in love with the sound of his own voice. The one thing he and Thompson had in common was the fact that, in their writings, the true subject was them.

He had a true love of music though and in his best stuff, I think he communicated that.

I don't think any magazine, especially a music one will make all the readers happy but I found Creem fun and educational when I was reading it.
I remember the column called "Unsung Heroes of Rock and Roll" by Nick Tosches that covered old R and B and country artists, that I learned a lot from.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3656
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think I fall into that camp, Ravine, at least I hope not. It's just that I have never found any popular culture magazine (or newspaper or website) to replace that particular vibe. Orbit tried, failed. Metro Times, tried, failed. Mojo, very close, but who has that much money every month for a magazine (even if it has free CD's)? Uncut, not even close. Paste, too earnest (though I love their paper stock).

I'm not ashamed to admit that I think that a great song is what keeps me alive from day to day. Rock and roll has saved me, oh yes. Whether it's in the middle of thousands of people at the soulless Palace of Blah Blah Hills at a Springsteen concert or at the bar at the Magic Stick, peering through the smoke at Ted Leo or someone like that, it's what keeps me sane. Creem agreed with me and I still mourn it's passing. Show me it's like and I'll hop all over it.

Bangs? Love him or hate him. I always laughed my head off. It was about him, but I love music like he did. When a great song speaks to you, it is personal.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 990
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great comment, ORF, totally understand/agree with your feelings about music. Done saved my Body And Soul too.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 350
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome-

It was a place to live. It had roaches (my first venture with them). It was cool. There was this one guy who lived in the building that used to lurk in my hall scoping me out. I had to yell at him to make him go away. I would park in the alley and get a ticket every day. I must have had 50 parking tickets (this was before I was responsible and payed my tickets. I finally got in trouble). There was a grocery store on Woodward and Euclid that carried blues albums for a dollar. I would buy them all up. I was hipped to some very cool music. The Algiers Motel incident was over and life went on (this was after the riots). I didn't realize where I had moved until I was already in. I had got mad at my mother one day, put all of my stuff in the car, and just rented the first apartment that I came to where I saw a sign. It was a couple of days before I looked out the window and saw The Algiers Motel. I had read the book, but still, I wasn't alarmed. I never was scared because I didn't do anything. The ones who were scared were the ones who were guilty (How's that for logic? I am a little more cautious now that I am older and all of these wierd drugs are in evidence. You used to be able to predict years ago. There was Heroin, Coke, Pot, and booze. That was it. It's very wierd now). My building has since been torn down as well as the store on the corner. But, I have a Metro Times route and I see where I was raised once a week....at 7 Mile and Buffalo. It's all good.

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on January 20, 2008)

Ravine

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette, I would like to "second" Jimg's praise of your remarks. Your sincerity is evident, and it is quite apparent that you, Jim, and I share the feeling that our lives would be tragically less rich without music. I get the impression that Pam feels the same way, and I suppose that many of our other DY neighbors do, as well. I was not a happy little kid, and the abundant joy which the sound of The Beatles triggered inside me at the time really meant so much more to me than I can adequately express, and that's saying something, because the inability to adequately express myself is a shortcoming to which I rarely fall victim. So, when you state that rock & roll has saved you, I am totally willing to believe that you are not exaggerating.
(Flashback: My older brother and I, in a theater downtown to see "A Hard Day's Night." The gigantic images of their faces flashing, one after the other, on the screen as the title song plays. If I have ever been as excited, since that moment, as I was then, the memory must have been somehow erased. To this day, sometimes when I hear that song, it all comes back to me, and the back of my neck tingles and I can feel my tear ducts begin to swell. As the saying goes, I couldn't make this up.)
Just so's you knows, I don't think you "fall into that camp," either. (Although, frankly, I have to say that, probably, there are moments when each of us slips into that manner; I, too, hope not.) I wasn't trying to put that tag on you, personally. I added that last comment because it summarily represented much of the motivation for my post; with the combination of the MT essay and this thread, I felt that some of our younger neighbors could end up with that Aw Jeez I Missed That, TOO? feeling, and as I guess you noticed, I don't think Creem was quite good enough to warrant such a feeling.
I'm with you on Mojo. Maybe if we could read it, listen to it, AND eat it... As for Paste, your delicate choice of the term "too earnest" pretty much outdoes anything I could have come up with; bravo!! I think the folks at Paste feel that once more than three people have heard of something, it is passe. And, their constant, shameless, and annoying over-use of the stuffy, artsy-fartsy-maximus word "ouevre" really frosts my ass. Save that shit for some bloodless snobs sitting around in Paris enjoying their afternoon tea with their fucking pinky fingers stuck out.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if i wasn,t on this computer i,d be just listnin to the radio, i can,t even remember reading creem. i saw lots of covers and remember it at the store. looked through the book that came out, always good to have good memories of songs and bands that made ya dance or sing along.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4623
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I "somehow" got hold of a "boy howdy" can in the late 70s. me mum tossed it when i went to college

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 989
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's just that all of this slobbering over Creem"
Huh, its simply people of that era reminiscing.
Creem to me was a way to learn more about what I was passionate about as a kid, Rock.

Silas

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How To Solder

Step 1: Equipment
Soldering requires two main things: a soldering iron and solder. Soldering irons are the heat source used to melt solder. Irons of the 15W to 30W range are good for most electronics/printed circuit board work. Anything higher in wattage and you risk damaging either the component or the board. Note that you should not use so-called soldering guns. These are very high wattage and generate most of their heat by passing an electrical current through a wire. Because of this, the wire carries a stray voltage that could damage circuits and components. The choice of solder is also important. One of the things to remember is to never use acid core solder. Acid core solder will corrode component leads, board traces and form conductive paths between components. The best solder for electronics work is a thin rosin core solder. I prefer a thickness of 0.75mm, but other thicknesses will also work. Just remember not to get anything too thick.
Remember that when soldering, the rosin in the solder releases fumes. These fumes are harmful to your eyes and lungs. Therefore, always work in a well ventilated area. Hot solder is also dangerous. Be sure not to let is splash around because it will burn you almost instantly. Eye protection is also advised.

Step 2: Surface Preparation:
A clean surface is very important if you want a strong, low resistance joint. All surfaces to be soldered should be cleaned with steel wool and some sort of solvent. Laquer thinner works well. Some people like to use sand paper, but I think that it is all too easy to sand right through circuit board traces, so steel wool is my preference. Don't neglect to clean component leads, as they may have a built up of glue from packaging and rust from improper storage.

Step 3: Component Placement
After the component and board have been cleaned, you are ready to place the component on the board. Bend the leads as necessary and insert the component through the proper holes on the board. To hold the part in place while you are soldering, you may want to bend the leads on the bottom of the board at a 45 degree angle. Once you are sure that the component is properly placed, you can more on to the next step.

Step 4: Apply Heat
Apply a very small amount of solder to the tip of the iron. This helps conduct the heat to the component and board, but it is not the solder that will make up the joint. Now you are ready to actually heat the component and board. Lay the iron tip so that it rests against both the component lead and the board. Normally, it takes one or two seconds to heat the component up enough to solder, but larger components and larger soldering pads on the board can increase the time.

Step 5: Apply Solder And Remove Heat
Once the component lead and solder pad has heated up, you are ready to apply solder. Touch the tip of the strand of solder to the component lead and solder pad, but not the tip of the iron. If everything is hot enough, the solder should flow freely around the lead and pad. Once the surface of the pad is completely coated, you can stop adding solder and remove the soldering iron (in that order). Don't move the joint for a few seconds to allow the solder to cool. If you do move the joint, you will get what's called a "cold joint". This will be discussed shortly.

Step 6: Cleanup
After you have made all the solder joints, you may wish to clean with steel wool or solvent to remove all the left over rosin. You may also wish to coat the bottom of the board with laquer. This will prevent oxidation and keep it nice and shiny.

Cold Solder Joints
A cold joint is a joint in which the solder does not make good contact with the component lead or printed circuit board pad. Cold joints occur when the component lead or solder pad moves before the solder is completely cooled. Cold joints make a really bad electrical connection and can prevent your circuit from working.

Cold joints can be recognized by a characteristic grainy, dull gray colour, and can be easily fixed. This is done by first removing the old solder with a desoldering tool or simply by heating it up and flicking it off with the iron. Once the old solder is off, you can resolder the joint, making sure to keep it still as it cools.

Tips and Tricks
Soldering is something that needs to be practiced. These tips should help you become successful so you can stop practicing and get down to some serious building.

Use heatsinks. Heatsinks are a must for the leads of sensitive components such as ICs and transistors. If you don't have a clip on heatsink, then a pair of pliers is a good substitute.
Keep the iron tip clean. A clean iron tip means better heat conduction and a better joint. Use a wet sponge to clean the tip between joints.
Double check joints. It is a good idea to check all solder joints with an ohm meter after they are cooled. If the joint measures any more than a few tenths of an ohm, then it may be a good idea to resolder it.
Use the proper iron. Remember that bigger joints will take longer to heat up with an 30W iron than with a 150W iron. While 30W is good for printed circuit boards and the like, higher wattages are great when soldering to a heavy metal chassis.
Solder small parts first. Solder resistors, jumper leads, diodes and any other small parts before you solder larger parts like capacitors and transistors. This makes assembly much easier.

Silas

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BRAISED SHORT RIBS
Adapted from Sara's Secrets for Weeknight Meals, Broadway Books, 2005.

The real secret to this recipe is (fasten your seatbelt) one whole bottle of red wine. I have always known that wine is a conductor of flavor, but nowhere is it more clearly illustrated than in this recipe.

Makes 4 servings

5 lb beef short ribs
Kosher salt and freshly milled black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 sprig fresh thyme, rinsed and dried or 1 teaspoon dried
1 Turkish bay leaf
1 (750-ml) bottle red wine
2 (14- or 14½-oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
½ cup horseradish sauce
2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Pat the ribs dry and season them on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or a deep flameproof roasting pan (that will hold the ribs in just one layer) over high heat until hot. Reduce the heat to medium-high, add the ribs, and brown them on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the ribs with tongs to a platter or bowl.

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Reduce the heat under the Dutch oven to medium; add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaf and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the platter with the ribs. Add the wine to the Dutch oven and bring it to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer it until it is reduced by three fourths (to about 1 cup). Add the broth and bring it to a boil. Add the ribs and vegetables along with any juices that have accumulated on the platter. Cover the Dutch oven tightly, place it in the center of the oven, and braise for 2½ hours or until the meat is tender and falling off the bones.

Transfer the ribs to a plate with tongs and let stand until they are cool enough to handle. Strain the broth into a bowl. Discard the solids and return the liquid to the Dutch oven. Skim off any fat that floats to the surface, bring the liquid to a boil, and reduce it to about 1½ cups.

Discard the bones and any excess fat from the ribs. Knead together the flour and butter in a small bowl, add a few spoonfuls of the reduced broth to the mixture, then whisk the butter mixture back into the broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Return the ribs to the pot and cook gently until just heated through. Divide the ribs among warmed plates, spoon some of the sauce over the top and serve with horseradish sauce.

Ravine

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice move, small-time smart-ass, employing the stunt currently used to flip off deliberately inflammatory threads in a thread which is perfectly innocent of any such malevolent motivation.
Jerk.

Twilight68
Username: Twilight68

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too still have all my CREEMS--pretty weird for a black college kid. perhaps, but it got me reviewing records for my college paper.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey now i can solder and make short ribs, this thread has been annexed.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine must have been a subscriber to "Circus". That was the serious rock rag of the times

Ravine

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Circus?" Hah!! I certainly think not, Norwalk. For that supposition, I owe you a thrashing... kidding, natch.
But seriously, I have a story about What I Read, but I'll have to rudely force it on all of you later; my son needs to use the computer, and since it IS the boy's birthday, I will surrender it to him...

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3692
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also liked Musician Magazine back in the day. Much calmer than Creem but had interesting stuff about making music, not so much gossip and fun.

I read part 2 today of the Creem story, now I really want Dave Marsh's side of the story.

Ravine

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't picked up Part II yet. I will do so, and return with more of my usual overbearing, verbose opinionating.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3694
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waiting with baited breath, Ravine.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Ravine is waiting for the revival of Crawdaddy.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3697
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://crawdaddy.wolfgangsvaul t.com/?utm_source=NL&utm_mediu m=email&utm_campaign=071219

Ravine

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psstt!! Oldredfordette!! I think you probably mean "bated" breath.

-- Language Geek Ravine

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neat link, Oldredfordette. I'll add it to my favorites (never know when I might want an old Fillmore poster).

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3699
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was late, I was tired.

*pouts, usually catches such things*

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When was Creem published? Late 60's till ???? I was born in 79 and haven't heard of this mag.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1987 i think

Meestercranky
Username: Meestercranky

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, first time poster long time lurker.

My folks moved me from Ann Arbor to SoCal in 1973 when I was 13 and by the time I got to high school I had discovered CREEM and read it every month as a link to my ancestral homeland of SE Michigan. I loved Rick Johnson's bizarro pieces best of all.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3716
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI LadyIAB, welcome to the thread about the two part article in the Metro Times on Creem by Bill Holdship.

If you want to know about Lester Bangs, go buy "Let It Blurt" by Jim DeRogatis. Until Dave Marsh writes his version of the story.

Norwalk

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to know about Lester Bangs read "Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung" by Lester Himself

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to have a few early '80s-edition issues of Creem lying around, but I probably failed to discern the mag's true cultural cache and at some point I believe I parted with them. I recall that one of the last issues I kept around had the Police on the cover, but I bought it because it contained a review of the new Black Flag album "Damaged," along with a photo of the band (Henry was still shorn of hair back then). Curiously, the review wasn't all that positive and seemed almost to discount the band, if I recall correctly. In fact, I sort of got the idea back then that the magazine was kind of a mouthpiece for classic, more mainstream rock.

Am I wrong? Or is that an accurate characterization of early '80s-era Creem?

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that book (Creem) today in the CD department at Borders on Rochester Rd., just south of Avon Road in Rochester Hills. It is $29.95, and there are two left.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3735
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treelock, that would be an example of the dying days of Creem. It was sad to see its decline, and a mercy when it finally stopped.

Pam

Post Number: 3391
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but I bought it because it contained a review of the new Black Flag album "Damaged," along with a photo of the band (Henry was still shorn of hair back then). Curiously, the review wasn't all that positive and seemed almost to discount the band, if I recall correctly. In fact, I sort of got the idea back then that the magazine was kind of a mouthpiece for classic, more mainstream rock.

They weren't when punk started in the mid 70s. Their coverage of it was more comprehensive and positive than Rolling Stone's as I recall.

Ravine

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I promised that I would re-visit this thread, even if for no reason other than telling Norwalk what I used to read (certainly not "Circus,") and like it or not, here I am.
I want to thank Oldredfordette, my esteemed DY colleague, for the Crawdaddy link, of which I was not aware, and which I have bookmarked.
I read Part II of the MT essay, and I really don't have much of anything to say about it. It strikes me that the publication of the book brought out, and up, various old feuds and bad feelings amongst two generations of Creem editors & writers, and the focus & intent of the essay seemed to be something like an attempt, by Holdship, to address, and possibly smooth over, some of those things. If that was the plan, I would say he did a pretty fair job; however, as I really don't give a damn about any of that, and never even much cared for the magazine itself, the essay made, for me, some pretty dry reading.
Here's the confession, and only folks who actually remember this magazine will NOT conclude that this confession provides irrefutable evidence that I am a Total Loser:
Before Rolling Stone, which started out as a helluva fine publication, my favorite rock & roll magazine was called (*ahem...gulp*) Teenset. Despite the embarrassingly childish & wimpy title, the magazine was truly, truly hip to much of the really good music of the time, and while other magazines with "teen" in their names were fawning over Bobby Sherman, Teenset was covering Buffalo Springfield, Grateful Dead, The Doors, Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, and the like, with better-than-average writing and excellent photography. Their chief editor was a young woman named Judy Sims, and many of the photos were the work of a guy named Jim Marshall. Ben Fong-Torres also was a contributor. I believe that all of those folks went on to bigger things, with possibly all of them ending up involved with Rolling Stone. Teenset, in apparent recognition of the terribly high Yuck Quotient of its name, re-named itself "Ohm," but well-intentioned as that alteration may have been, perhaps it was a mistake, because soon after the change, the magazine disappeared entirely, leaving me with Rolling Stone, which was still in its relatively early days, and with which I was rather satisfied.
There also was a magazine called "Eye." I don't think it was around for long. I bought some of them, but I wasn't really into it. They seemed like they weren't exactly sure where they were trying to go with the magazine. It was big and glossy, and seemed to be aimed at folks who were hippies, but not too hippie, if you know what I mean. They once had a large piece on the subject of a visit to America from Lennon & McCartney; now, don't quote me on this, because I'm not absolutely 100% certain, but I believe that it was through her assignment, by Eye, to cover this event that photographer Linda Eastman met Paul, so if you would like to deflect some of the blame for the Beatles' break-up away from Yoko, you might be able to splatter some of it on this long-defunct magazine.
Hey!! everybody, wake up!! I'm leaving, now.

Norwalk

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The September 1968 cover of Eye Magazine had John Lennon on the cover. so its possible

Ravine

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW that was quick!... And that is, almost certainly, the issue to which I referred.

(Message edited by ravine on February 04, 2008)

Pam

Post Number: 3427
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so if you would like to deflect some of the blame for the Beatles' break-up away from Yoko

You are kidding right? The only people to blame for the Beatles break up, are the Beatles themselves.

Ravine

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, yeah, I'm kidding, pretty much.
However, I heard, with mine own ears, George Harrison speak on that subject, and he wanted to make sure that the Yoko-haters knew that the serious conflict arose from the fact that he, John, and Ringo were in favor of taking on Allen Klein to handle their affairs, while Paul was insistent on enlisting Linda's father for that purpose.
Stubborn as he was, Paul was probably right. Still, Pam, your bottom line would be correct.

Steve
Username: Steve

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When "Eye" came out, another magazine with a similar format appeared called "Cheetah". I forget which one folded first.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 559
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this in the Detroit CL, and thought I could resurrect a thread.
They seem to cover all the bases.

"The Eastowne Theatre, The Grande, The Greystone, Ford Auditorium, elephant bells, paseley shirts, wide belts, platform shoes, The MC5, the Stooges, Brownsville Station, Big Boys on Woodward (near 10 mile),, Amy Joy, Trainers Tavern, The Happy Apple, Federals, Cunninghams, Radio City Theatre, the Pinto, the Yugo, the DeLoreon, Memorial Park, Halmich Park, Plum Street, Hill Street (A2), Crager SS's, cherry bomb's, boones farm, 1 finger, 2 finger, hash ($5), the funny little place that use to be the wig-wam (10 & woodward) till denny mcclain purchased it, reverbs, FM converters, 8 track tape players, drinking at Sandy Beach, White Pine Park (Stoney Creek), the bridge across the Clinton River at Yates Cider Mill, Gratiot, Harpo's, Last Chance Bar, Almeda, Colton, Winchester ( all gone except the streets and drive-way approaches), Swim Mobiles, Coleman Young, STRESS, Stroh's, Uniroyal, the Squirt factory tours (how many still have the little salt and pepper shakers?)... had some good times back in the day!"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.