Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » A question for traveling fans... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroits_own
Username: Detroits_own

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking about going to some road Piston's/Tiger's games in the spring. What's been your experiences traveling to different places? How much nonsense and verbal sparring should I expect, I'm not talking about good natured ribbing or trash talk though.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the Nets / Pistons game in late December with the wife, and my cousin, and didn't have any problems. Everyone actually seemed to keep quiet when they saw they had Detroit fans in their midst.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You won't have any problems with hockey out in Southern California-when the Wings are here their fans seem to outnumber the home teams (most seem to be ex-Detroiters but there's quite a number who are just fans of "The Yankees of Hockey") I should say Ducks fans think their team is "the new Avalanche"(doesn't that honor belong to the Pre-teen Daters?) as far as rivalries go, I saw displays of heartless defacings of the RW logo @ the Pond's Stanley Cup celebration but nobody gave me crap about my Hockeytown shirt;
http://www.ocregister.com/ocre gister/sports/pros/ducks/abox/ article_1294421.php

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 582
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

August '06 I saw the Tigers lose to the ChiSox at WhateverTheyCallNewComiskeyThe seDays. The fans were happy to rib me for the loss, but it was fairly good natured, and I could just point out that they were still 8 games back.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Tigers/Yankees at Yankee Stadium last year. There was some talking here and there, but nothing I felt was out of control. I even rode the 4 train to the stadium wearing my Tigers jersey.

I guess it depends how you handle trash talk. You don't wanna get all heated, since you're DEFINITELY outnumbered.

Oh, and it helps when your team wins, like the Tigers did that night, lol.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you come to Kansas City the fans pretty much leave you alone because they know they suck. Also, most of the fans (at least during weekday games) are Detroit fans, it's like a home game in another city. Plus, I'll take you out to the bars afterwards. I find that all the ex-michiganders will buy drinks for you if you're sportin' Tiger's gear.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going to Comiskey was pretty sweet last year. Kind of empty, but the fans that were there were pretty good natured. I went to the July game where Miller pitched and Granderson whacked a first pitch leadoff homer off Buehrle. As you can imagine, there was a little verbal sparring, but it was pretty much all in good fun.

I think the beer was pretty cheap too, as an aside. Pretty sure they poured Leinies.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 390
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sat solo in full Michigan gear in the student section at Buckeye stadium to watch the big game. I just got a bit of pushing, but basically survived. Some girl behind me felt bad about the abuse and shared some homemade cookies. There was a bit of back and forth jawing. At one point I was teased about paying $50 for my ticket while they paid face value. "What does that tell you?". I replied, "That I have a lot more disposable income." I don't think he got it. Ah those arrogant Wolverines! ;)

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love it, Fishtoes.

Slack-jawed OSU Guy: "Why would this jackass want to throw money away?"

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 657
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Cleveland last year to see the Tigers play the Indians on a Saturday. When we bought the tickets, we didn't know that the Pistons would be facing elimination from the playoffs next door. There were a lot of Detroit people around town that weekend, and we ran into a lot of the players at the bar, so it was really cool. The worst part was the walk back to the hotel after the Tiger game because the Pistons were down 15 points in the final minutes of the fourth quarter, so everyone was talking crap since we had our Tigers gear on. We went back to the hotel and changed, then celebrated with the city of Cleveland. Ohio has basically owned us lately and everyone there is not shy about reminding you. I'd advise you to go in a group and don't be an a-hole. People are generally good-natured as long as you aren't a butthead.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 360
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleveland's fun. I was out there to visit some friends last summer. Watched the game, went out to the warehouse district (6th St, I think?) after and staggered back to my downtown hotel room. Best part? No smoking allowed in bars! (and an Indians loss)

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that you'll be going to Wrigley anytime soon, but I saw the Tigers play the Cubs there in 06. We dominated the stadium. Plenty of "Let's Go Tigers" chants.

Since we swept them, a Tigers fan stood outside the stadium after the game holding up a broom endlessly chanting "De-Troit Base-Ball!" and nobody really bothered him. (Although one dude said "why don't you use that broom to clean up your city." Even I thought it was funny).

I also saw Michigan at Northwestern without any problems. I guess the point here is that if you know going in that your team is going to kick the crap out of the other team, you probably won't be harassed.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the United Center to catch a Bulls/Pistons game this past Saturday, and not much was said to me this past weekend. However, I also endured a completely opposite experience watching these two teams play the year prior. One guy got kicked out because he was looking for a fight..made his girlfriend cry.....it was a sight to be seen, for sure. I had fun, I guess that's all that matters.

I Intend to take a trip with a couple of friends out to Boston to catch my Tigers play there in early April. We'll have to see how the northeasterners treat their tourists.

(Message edited by knocturnal on January 21, 2008)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm heading to yankee stadium to see the tigers in may, I made friendly conversation with many out of town fans this past summer. Also for some reason my season tix at ford field are always next to a fan from the opposing team. Depending on who it is we have some good natured ribbing. It was fun beating the bears, we had some good times with the bears fans behind us

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you come down here to Charlotte, you can prob. expect more Pistons (ironically the team was originally from Fort Wayne, IN) fans than Bobcats fans!

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indians' fans are generally good. Of course you'll get a few expected remarks, but on the whole, Indians fans are very knowledgeable fans who can carry a baseball conversation.

(and you can always mock their city for the complete lack of sports championships in the last 50 years)

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the Tigers at Yankee Stadium last year and also rode the train up wearing a Tigers hat. I got some good natured ribbing, but as long as you avoid the few (drunk) people who are obviously looking for a fight and do be an ass yourself, you'll be fine.

Wearing a Tigers hat was also a great way to meet people. There was a cute girl I passed every day on the way to work after I left my apartment in Chinatown, and finally talked to her that day because she had on a Tigers shirt!

Detroits_own
Username: Detroits_own

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spitty, I heard about a lot of fights breaking out that night the Pistons/Tigers lost from some friends who traveled to Cleveland.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roadtripped to Columbus a couple years ago to see the Wings play the Jackets. walked up to the top of the ramp to find my nose bleed seats just after the national anthem. looked around the stadium and saw way more red jerseys than blue. wings wone 6-0 that night. Every time we scored, the place erupted in cheers. Nationwide arena was quite nice. The stands are built on a steep angle which keeps you closer to the game, but makes for an interesting walk down stairs after 4 or 5 large ginger ales. There were so many wings fans there, and the Blue Jackets sucked so bad that nobody heckled us, even though we wore red wings jerseys.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the Tigers play in Baltimore, Cleveland, Toronto and Phoenix. Fun at all of them with no more than some good natured joshing.

We catch one or two Red Wing games in Phoenix each season, and the Wings' fans outnumber the Coyotes' fans. Whenever the home towners try to start a Coyote cheer, the Wings' fans drown them out. Their attendance is up at least 2-3,000 whenever the Wings come to town.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont really know about the Pistons or Tigers but I was at the Lions and Eagles game in Philly earlier this year. I was visiting a friend who lives there and is also a Leo's fan, so we went and got yelled at on the walk up to our seats (nothing to profane) and a little during the first quarter until the game got out of reach for the Lions and people laughed at us on our way out later. What happened next was pretty cool when we went to the only bar around the stadium in Citizens Park where the Phillies play and we were about the lions fans in this huge bar and I guess people respected the fact we came in there and were buying drinks for us left and right. Very classy I thought.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to be that the United Center was over 50% Red Wings fans when they would play the Blackhawks. That's not so pronounced now, but it's still a significant contingent.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.