Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Debate over OC vrs WC « Previous Next »
Archive through January 22, 2008Hudkina30 01-22-08  4:26 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2560
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So while, Wayne County does have DPS and a few other under-performing districts, you can still live in the county and send your kids to some of the best schools in the nation.

Michigan.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say that most of the Top 15 school districts in Michigan would probably rank within the Top 500 school districts within the nation. (there's really no way of truly determining such a ranking, considering the wide variation of "standardized" testing throughout the U.S.

Michigan as a whole has better schools than most states, especially when you consider how good Michigan residents are at segregating themselves into little pockets of wealth. DPS is so "bad" simply because the suburban districts are so "good". In places like Miami and Los Angeles many of the school districts have a more diverse student body (racially, culturally, and economically) and so test results are generally more "diluted".

But regardless whether your a top 15 district in Michigan or a top 500 district in the U.S. you're definitely getting a good education.

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge: A lot of people like living in an area that exposes them to a wide range of people and cultures. It's just more interesting and fun than living in a white-bread 'burb. Plus, it's enlightening in some ways -- you get more culturally aware, and you get a more realistic perspective on life, politics, etc.

French: I hate to say it, but Detroit's schools are just not going to be a mark in the plus column over Oakland County. For every nice Detroit school, there are a few mind-blowing OC schools. It's all about the money -- rich counties can afford ridiculous private schools and Mandarin classes in public elementary schools.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2561
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Michigan as a whole has better schools than most states, especially when you consider how good Michigan residents are at segregating themselves into little pockets of wealth. DPS is so "bad" simply because the suburban districts are so "good". In places like Miami and Los Angeles many of the school districts have a more diverse student body (racially, culturally, and economically) and so test results are generally more "diluted".

Everybody does that. New York City has a district that is just as bad as Detroit's. Long Island, Westchester County, NY, Fairfield County, CT, and Northern New Jersey have school districts that dwarf most districts in Michigan.

I'm searching for the list of top high schools per US News & World Report but I can't find it right now. If memory serves me correctly, Michigan barely had a handful of high schools on the list out of the top 1,000 in the nation. The list was very east coast heavy... which makes sense because they seem to put a lot more into education around here.

Personally, if I lived in Michigan (and had a kid) I would likely have my kid in private school no matter where I lived.

Hudkina

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New England and much of the Northeast does have lots of great school districts, but it's not as if students in Michigan aren't getting the same basic education.

And don't bother looking up that US News & World Report list. We're talking about standardized test scores not student to teacher ratios or per pupil spending or number of future Ivy Leaguers.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2562
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And don't bother looking up that US News & World Report list. We're talking about standardized test scores not student to teacher ratios or per pupil spending or number of future Ivy Leaguers.

How can you compare Michigan schools to those in other states if you only use standardized test scores?

Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, Wayne County has some nice, high-income school districts, but that doesn't necessarily mean the schools are terribly good.

I went to public schools in Grosse Pointe most of my life, and it really wasn't very impressive. Sure, the schools test well -- kids with educated, high-income parents generally do. It seems to me that this region's highly segregated, rich suburban school districts can get away with pretty lazy instruction by relying on the high average test scores that come along with their socioeconomic makeup. They have nice, high rankings, and the vast majority of their graduates go to college because most people get decent grades and SAT prep classes. But they're not necessarily getting an outstanding education. I don't think my graduating class sent more than one kid to the Ivies.

In Bloomfield Hills, meanwhile, they have the International Academy, which was ranked the best public high school *in the country* by Newsweek in '03. Granted, it's probably not easy to get your kids into, but in my part of Wayne County, there was no tuition-free option of that quality.

Hudkina

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can you compare schools using factors such as student/teacher ratios.

If the #1 school has 14.3 students per teacher and the #2,356 has 27.2 students per teacher, what does that matter if school #2,356 does better on standardized tests than school #1. Sure it seems that fewer students per teacher might be better, but that isn't necessarily the case.

And the same is true about many other things. Who cares if 91% of the teachers at school #1 have a doctorate degree in education whereas only 30% of the teachers at school #3,256 has a doctorate. Sure, it may seem like that Dr. Jones will do a better job teaching your kid than Mrs. Smith, but we wouldn't know unless we compare a standardized test.

Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudkina, why do you put so much faith in standardized test scores as a measure of instructional quality? Most experts don't.

Hudkina

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If "most experts" truly didn't, then we wouldn't have standardized testing.

How else would you measure standards of education?

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, are you aware that 100% of the U.S. News and Wold Report Ranking is based on AP test performance?

Hudkina: Maybe I'm misunderstanding your posts above, are you suggesting that the Livonia, Trenton and Riverview school districts are comparable to Birmingham's?

(Message edited by spartacus on January 22, 2008)

Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the thing -- it's hard to measure instructional quality. We have standardized testing because it gives the illusion of an objective measure, and because laws like NCLB look like progress to people who don't know better.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3630
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb County not to rich, not to poor but just right!

And way more corrupt, provincial, and downright redneck.

Hudkina

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Trenton, Riverview and Livonia students performed at the same basic level as Birmingham students on the MEAP test in comparison to most other districts in the tri-county area.

Trenton
Math - 72%
Science - 75%
Social Studies - 87%
Reading - 84%
Writing - 68%

Birmingham
Math - 78%
Science - 81%
Social Studies - 76%
Reading - 87%
Writing - 67%

Overall Birmingham did slightly better with Math, Science, and Reading. Trenton did slightly better with Social Studies and Writing.

Why is that so hard to believe? You don't have to be rich to be smart.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 851
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what it boils down is that the OC was thriving off of WC/Detroit's demise, and now that there's a resurgence happening, they're shaking in their italian boots. The thought of less money coming into their county has them spooked, but they're thinking selfishly, not for the good of the region.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 540
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking about this thread and I realized it was all B.S.

Metro Detroit is the most segregated area in the country. Oakland, Wayne, Macomb it doesn't matter.

We are arguing over which stinks worse.

If you take Detroit out of the Wayne County mix then I would say that it is possible to find similar communities in any county in S.E. Michigan.

They are all the same.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is race always visual?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 541
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would say that it isn't.

It is however the easiest way to identify ones race.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think what it boils down is that the OC was thriving off of WC/Detroit's demise, and now that there's a resurgence happening, they're shaking in their italian boots. The thought of less money coming into their county has them spooked, but they're thinking selfishly, not for the good of the region."

I agree. OC is horrible. Everyone who lives in WC should continue to live there. You would hate it here in OC.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lm from macomb county/wayne county, but ive found most service better in the OC. Plus you find more educated people usually.

(Message edited by steelworker on January 23, 2008)

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 853
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I agree. OC is horrible. Everyone who lives in WC should continue to live there. You would hate it here in OC."

Actually I live in OC. I'm just a self-hater.

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh.

This thread is stupid.

Hudkina

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I do know about Oakland County (or rather the Bloomfield Hills area) is that EVERYONE wears the Northern Face clothing. It's hilarious. I can understand wanting to wear something nice, but when everyone is walking around with "the Northern Face" slapped on their chest its kind of unnerving; like the Stepford Wives. I would actually feel awkward if I was wearing the same jacket as everyone else in the room...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People still wear North Face? Wow, that's so 2003...

Hudkina

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only time I ever saw people wearing them was in the Bloomfield Hills area (as you can see I didn't even know the name!), granted I haven't been there in about a year. Maybe they've all moved on to the next clothing fad...

Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't snotty rich kids wear North Face as a rule? I don't see what it has to do with Oakland County.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 958
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^No only poor Kenyans wear North Face.

Choose your living destination depending on
whatever fits your lifestyle.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 716
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OC has a Drunken Driver for a chief exec and WC...Detroit has a cheatin lier. Even still Wayne county has much more to offer than OC by far.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"OC has a Drunken Driver for a chief exec and WC...Detroit has a cheatin lier. Even still Wayne county has much more to offer than OC by far."

This is a pointless thread. If you like WC, then LIVE THERE. If you like OC, then LIVE THERE.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

application/octet-streamMeap Scores OC vrs WC
MEAP SCORES !!.xls (17.4 k)

These are scores that I found for the High School class of 2007.

Very Interesting

Hudkina

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're missing a few school districts. Grosse Ile had the best scores in both Science and Math.

Here are the top 15 districts in either category:

Science
1. Grosse Ile (Wayne) - 90.3%
2. Novi (Oakland) - 83.3%
3. Grosse Pointe (Wayne) - 83.2%
4. Bloomfield Hills (Oakland) - 81.9%
5. Birmingham (Oakland) - 81.3%
6. Rochester (Oakland) - 78.7%
7. Troy (Oakland) - 77.7%
8. Riverview (Wayne) - 77.2%
9. Trenton (Wayne) - 74.9%
10. Northville (Wayne) - 74.4%
11. South Lyon (Oakland) - 73.4%
12. Holly (Oakland) - 71.8%
13. Lake Orion (Oakland) - 71.7%
14. Plymouth-Canton (Wayne) - 71.5%
15. Livonia (Wayne) - 71.4%

That's 8 in Oakland County and 7 in Wayne County.

Math
1. Grosse Ile (Wayne) - 85.1%
2. Rochester (Oakland) - 79.4%
3. Bloomfield Hills (Oakland) - 79.3%
4. Birmingham (Oakland) - 78.2%
5. Grosse Pointe (Wayne) - 76.6%
6. Troy (Oakland) - 75.6%
7. Novi (Oakland) - 73.3%
8. Trenton (Wayne) - 72.0%
9. Northville (Wayne) - 71.8%
10. Plymouth-Canton (Wayne) - 69.7%
11. Riverview (Wayne) - 67.9%
12. Livonia (Wayne) - 67.1%
13. Clarkston (Oakland) - 65.5%
14. Romeo (Macomb) - 65.5%
15. South Lyon (Oakland) - 65.4%

That's 7 in Oakland, 7 in Wayne, and 1 in Macomb.

That means that that top district in all five categories came from Wayne County:

Grosse Ile in Science and Math, Grosse Pointe in Social Studies and Reading and Riverview in Writing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.