Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Kercheval & Marlborough-Whats Happening?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some new housing starts going in this neighborhood, but they havent developed as fast as my wife and I were told by the developers. When we were searching for homes, we visited one of the models. We were slightly pleased, and if not for the exceptional deal we received on our current home, this development was a distinct possibility.
Does anyone happen to know some back story regarding this developments' lack of progress?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 791
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say look at ANY new development within 100 miles of Detroit and look at their lack of progress. There is a big housing slowdown. On top of that Detroit is not the first pick for a new home for many metro Detroiters.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080121/S PECIAL01/80120001

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit is seeing a year-over-year increase in home sales since 2001 though... (according to that same news article above)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this have to do with that major Fox Creek development with the medium-high density row, town homes and victorians?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7018
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen the homes Marlborough St near Chalmers St. being developed since the late 1990s I even been over there to check it out. The 1st block south of Mack Ave. and Chalmers St. is totally completed. Once of blighted ghettohood now a real neighborhood again and so are the rest of the blocks down to Kercheval St. New retail are being popping up on Mack and Alter Rd. near Morning Side and the (Snoobyville) border. Rick white folks who lived over there can see the black crackhead ghetto next door slowly disapearing right before their eyes. One day they may want to buy those homes in the Detroit side and reclaim the ghettohoods of Mack and Chalmers St.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor GPers. Always with the snob moniker hanging over them.

From Wayburn to Somerset, Mack to Jefferson there are mostly two and four family flats and small, single family homes. The flats are being rented out to just about anyone by owners who either don't care who trashes their property or are caught in a strangle-hold baby by rules that say they have to rent to anyone.

Snobbyville? I don't think so. My guess is that the residents of GP Park who own their homes would just like to be able to keep living in them without fear of poor crack-heads.

I just wanted to say that sometimes we forget that bigotry can be spread around without us even knowing we've done it.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the last few months, the water lines have been replaced on several of those streets, even the lines leading to vacant lots. Looks like more new houses are planned.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11237
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Snobbyville? I don't think so. My guess is that the residents of GP Park who own their homes would just like to be able to keep living in them without fear of poor crack-heads.

I just wanted to say that sometimes we forget that bigotry can be spread around without us even knowing we've done it.

Some people generalize by color or location (Snobbyville - of course Danny's comments are over the top and out of line with those generalizations). Some people generalize by class which is present in Kath's posts.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Like all of Detroit is described as bombed out, ghetto and crime ridden? (I know some "special" person would try to say it's a different situation).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.