Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Leland Hotel on fire « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 512
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard the news on WDIV. can't find a link as yet. All 41 residents have been evacuated safely.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? How badly was the building damaged? If anyone has a link, please post!

Kittypooka
Username: Kittypooka

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Around what time did this happen? I was just there at about 7pmish to snag a roll of quarters from their front desk. Thought I smelled burning plastic about a block away but couldn't figure out from where. There seemed to be quite a few fire and police around the front of the Motor City though.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 849
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably all the faulty wiring in that place.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were alot of fire trucks and so forth out front of the MGM parking structure when I got home last night. Did not notice anything at the Leland. But I wasn't staring out my window all night either.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Leland City Club forum it was limited to one apartment on the sixth floor.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the link from WDIV:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/15118899/detail.html

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2503
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All 41 residents have been evacuated safely.

If I owned a hotel that large, and only had 41 residents in it, I'd torch it as well...

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They must mean all 41 that were home at the time. Last night I was with my friend who lives there, and he wasn't evacuated because he wasn't there.

There have been fires there before that didn't make the news. Not sure why it did this time, especially since it was contained to only one floor.

(Message edited by Melody on January 23, 2008)

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the smoke detectors actually work in that place.

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 834
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, the hotel that brought me to this forum in the first place many moons ago. Glad to hear no one was badly injured and the place is intact. Anybody else go there for MEPS back in the 80's or earlier?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wonder if the smoke detectors actually work in that place."

It's doubtful that when this hotel was constructed that they had very many fire suppression systems installed to limit fires to one floor. Nowadays, high rises are constructed so that a fire on one floor does not necessarily mean that the whole building needs to be evacuated. Does the Leland hotel have fire sprinklers?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My comment that was blocked ... um, it was not a libel claim. It is substantiated. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 620
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgins will probably not fix any of the damage & let it decay. I know the guy lives there from what ive heard. But they way he takes care of his other buildings(The Broderick Tower) I doubt anything will get done.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Leland, in better days:

http://s215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ ?action=tags&current=Detroit-L eland%20Hotel%2FLeland%20Hotel

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bet is that they would have had to fit the hotel with some kind of fire suppression. Fire code is very strict, especially with older, less safe buildings.

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's doubtful that when this hotel was constructed that they had very many fire suppression systems installed to limit fires to one floor. Nowadays, high rises are constructed so that a fire on one floor does not necessarily mean that the whole building needs to be evacuated. Does the Leland hotel have fire sprinklers?"

Not necessarily true. Before 9/11 high rise buildings were set up to alarm one floor above and one floor below where the smoke/fire was detected. Now it is up the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction), like a Fire Marshal to decide. In the City of Detroit they like general alarm, which alerts the entire building there is a fire. If it is a building over 4 stories, then it has a voice/speaker evacuation system. Otherwise it is temporal sounds. Unlike the city of Troy, it depends on the building their alarm requirements my vary.

Most of property and life damage is caused by smoke.

I just joined this forum, so once I figure out how everything works, I'll be one happy dude.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's ok. There are plenty of happy people in this world that don't know how this forum works...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6287
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey... you've been here long enough to know that outing people in any way shape or form on this forum is strictly forbidden. We only have that right when it comes to ourselves, and not others.

(Message edited by Gistok on February 10, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.