Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Word out on the street is... [Slow's Expanding Locations] » Archive through January 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has been circulating in my neck of the woods that SLOWS BBQ is going to be expanding its operations. A very reliable source says that plans are in the works to create a SLOWS-Takeout in the MIDTOWN area. The source also states that, in addition to the already tasty meals offered at the Michigan Avenue site, those Awesome BBQ Sauces will be sold as well.

I only post this because I am a frequent patron at Slows and I feel the more the merrier for the city of Detroit.

Developing......

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 305
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good lord yes.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too bad they couldn't expand the dining room a little

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man, hope they're going to be on the north side of campus and a quick walk from the law school... we're all getting pretty tired of Circa and Byblos.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 302
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some friends and I were talking about that the other night while waiting 2 1/2 hours to eat...we couldn't decide whether an expansion would help or harm the great ambience and experience. Of course, the biggest problem is that I think the storefront to the right of them is occupied...

Speaking of which, does anybody know what's happening to the storefronts to the right of the real estate office? Last summer I recall seeing some serious interior demolition and heard rumors of a new restaurant/bar opening? I could be wrong.

Incidently, during our 2 1/2 hour wait we didn't stick around the whole time...four of our guests were from out-of-town, and I opted to take them to the bar at Coach Insignia for a couple of pre-dinner drinks. They were, of course, stunned by the view.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Storefront immediately to the right of Slows (Oconnor Realty) is owned by the Slows brothers, along with the couple of storefronts to the right of that that are being rehabbed. The most interesting thing is the pawn shop at the end of the block is out of business now. I wonder if the Slows brothers have control of that now, too?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 613
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think making slows larger would be a mistake our their part, the wait is worth the ambiance. But I think a take out location is a wonderful idea.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Initially, I wasn't happy with the size of Slows, but keeping it the size it is DOES generate avery invigorating ambience not seen around Detroit. The addition of the outside patio actually added to the ambience. I am very pleased with the establishment.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they opened a location close to WSU, I would have one more excuse to be late to class each evening!

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same person has owned the former pawn shop building on the block since at least the 1960s and maybe even longer than that. He wants to sell the building. The guys at O'Connor Real Estate can tell you more about it.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 306
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This block has great potential. I heard the building next to O'Connor is to be a bar but has been in the works for years. It's nice to have a decent facade on it now though, even if purple and black wouldn't be my colors of choice. I can't imagine what the pawn show would look like restored.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pawn shop would make a good Jazz Club or ALternative Music type club.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 307
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are already two bars that have music on Michigan ave in that area. The Lager House and Corktown Tavern both have music. Im unsure of the size of the place but perhaps if the upstairs and down stairs were both gutted someone could put together a decent billiards hall. The stick is a sad excuse for a pool hall and I think a nice hall would attract a decent crowd as long as it was kept interesting with competitions every so often.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahhhh...A pool hall would definitely fit in as well. Would make my grandfather smile from the heavens to see a pool hall added to an area he was well known to stomp in.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah LJ's Lounge!!

Chitaku

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

an arcade would be awesome like barcade in brooklyn

Broken_main

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be awesome as well, but here in Detroit, for some reason it seems difficult to get an arcade in the City. My uncle tried and they shot him down. The city told him that anything more than two arcade type games would be very difficult to license.

But you know nowadays, money talks and if the right money came along..the best talking will get heard

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6968
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great ideal for SLOWS BBQ. The second location could boost more economic profits. Midtown need ethnic cultural restaurants besides Pizza Hut, McDonald's and Taco Bell.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 578
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Midtown need ethnic cultural restaurants besides Pizza Hut, McDonald's and Taco Bell.

Careful there Danny--that's *my* culture you're dissing! LOL

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 672
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, I share your excitement for slow's in midtown, but need to point out that the restaurant scene is midtown is far from shoddy... off the top of my head:

-Marios
-Cass Cafe
-Twingos
-Bronx
-Circa
-Piezanos
-Traffic Jam
-MCBW
-Union Street
-Whitney
-American Masala
-Subway
-Jimmy Johns
-Quiznos
-Majestic Cafe

that's alot (and i def. missed some)! and all within 5 blocks or so of my house....

Chitaku

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my sources say this rumor is the truth

Broken_main

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it be our source could be the same?

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twingo's is still closed. Hey, maybe they're moving in there!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slows is always busy when i drive by there, one day i,ll stop and eat. love it when things go on in corktown even though the tigers left 8yrs ago.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That’s true Andy, but there's always room for more, especially an evening and weekend take out bbq joint.

a few more...

Olympic
Blimpie
Midtown Corner Cafe
La Pita
Northern Lights
Z's Villa
Campus Restaurant

Mdoyle

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northern Lights is in New Center.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you live in Midtown your going to go to new center-Z's Villa is in New center as well.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see the Bronx Bar on that list. In the late 60s we lived next door and have never been in there. There seemed to be lots of blue collar guys closing the joint at 2:00 a.m. and loudly deciding to go across the street to the HoHo Inn, from whence they loudly returned at 4:00 am. They all had eight door cars, too. What is the Bronx like now?

Mdoyle

Post Number: 310
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bronx is a lot of WSU students. Great food, and an amazing Juke Box.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, we will have to try it!

About Slow's does anyone remember what was there before? We tried Slow's yesterday and it was great. We will be eating yummy brisket for the next couple of days. The place looked familiar and I've been racking my brain to try and remember what was there before.