Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Renaissance steps up with its agenda( improving the business climate) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Renaissance group is frustrated with the lack of a coherent policy response from politicians in Lansing.
a quote,
"We spend too much time trying to be average," Doug Rothwell, president and CEO of Detroit Renaissance, said in an interview Tuesday. "But average isn't good enough. We hear people say we're an average state in terms of tax burden, but the total costs for business are quite high," he added, citing utility costs, labor costs and the fact that Michigan lacks some intrinsic advantages of other states where population is growing."

The group is setting a agenda for Lansing so the business climate can improve.
More in the free press,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080123/BUS INESS06/801230438

What do you guys think, if Lansing does this can this agenda improve the business climate?

(Message edited by sg9018 on January 23, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4752
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What do you gays think

Can straight folk respond as well?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's cheaper to make incentives to keep businesses that you already have than it is to attract new ones.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right until companies decide its still more lucrative to move there companies out of state (electrolux),in this case the state offered mega tax incentives to no avail. There time would have been better spent lobbying to an out of state company for relocation in my opinion.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 479
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's more important to use the money to create a state that is a good place to be, without incentives.

Incentives can be used to attract companies for publicity, which I think is very important, but I don't think silver bullet companies are the meat and potatoes of our economy.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 972
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge quote:

"What do you gays think"
Can straight folk respond as well?
HUH?
I think the quote was "What do you guys think, if Lansing does this can this agenda improve the business climate?"

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do I think? Jesus Christ.

I think we need to stop letting suburbanites define our approach to the future.

I think we need to make Detroit's uniqueness its defining factor.

I think somebody else needs to be in charge. Someone who gets it.

http://supergaydetroit.blogspo t.com/2007/12/i-dont-have-answ ers-but-i-have-better.html

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4805
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty, notice he edited his message after I pointed out the mistake. :-) Just thought it was a pretty funny typo.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.