Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Best chips and hot sauce in Det. area « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What rest. has the best chips and hot sauce? What brand of hot sauce is best? Hottest? Are the Mex. Rest in SW Det. all that good?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's a mex rest, is that like a siesta?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mexicantown cafe ,on the corner of 24th and Bagley has warm chips, right out of the oven. Salsas are good too.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mexican Fiesta in Dearborn Heights

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best Chips: E&L Supermercado on Vernor. They make their own chips fresh every day - sometimes the bags are still warm! Very reasonable in price.

Salsa: A matter of personal taste. Hot-medium-mild..chunky, thin, etc. Have some fun and make your own! It's not difficult and you can have it just the way you like it.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 956
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El Zocalo, my new favorite - 3400 Bagley at 23rd.

Mexican Fiesta? way down the list for me.

D_mcc

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it, so, thats good enough for me :-)

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ednaturnblad has it right on the salsa. Thick or thin, hot or mild, some is good and the rest is better.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4762
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monterrey Cantina in Royal Oak gives you free chips and salsa with anything you order. I've even gotten them when I just popped in for a beer. They are pretty good.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think chips are questionable (Better Made).

As for Hot Sauce, not sure.

Me3head
Username: Me3head

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xochimilco

D_mcc

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Does bettermade make tortilla chips? I agree though...when it comes to Salt and Vinegar chips...BM is the only thing I eat

Kgrimmwsu
Username: Kgrimmwsu

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes BetterMade makes tortilla chips, but I have never tried them. I just stick with the BBQ Chips.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11238
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honey Bee for grocery store.

El Barzon has an awesome hot salsa.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, I just lost all respect for you. Monterrey has horrible chips and salsa - much like eating syrofoam with ketchup. Garden Fresh is pretty good for store bought chips and salsa.

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote goes to Mi Pueblo on Dix near central.
Nice fresh salsa with hot chips. A great menu of authentic recipes.

My second vote goes to Mi Tierra on Warren between southfield and evergreen.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Detroit... but these folks have some of the hottest sauces, etc. that me and my friends have known:

http://www.soninlaw.net/

They are in Webberville MI. They are only open there a couple days a week since they travel to various shows to sell their product. In the summertime, they may be tending the crops.

A drop or 2 will make you sweat!

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is the selection in that "Fire in the Market" store in Eastern Market (on Market St. - across from Shed #2 currently undergoing renovation. It used to be a bank)?

Also, don't forget Garden Fresh salsas out of Ferndale. I've had a couple varieties and they're pretty yummy. http://www.gardenfresh.ca/prod ucts.html

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11241
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The selection of hot sauces is great - can't recall about salsas.

I liek Garden Fresh. Nice to see a small local company doing well, assuming they are doing well.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW D_mcc and Kgrimmwsu, you do know I typed that comment without reading any of the ones above me, right? lol.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 805
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not surprising urbanize...

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am from Texas and Xochimilco's has to be the worst Mexican restaurant north of Dallas. The chips are dripping with grease. Did you ever notice that most of the people in there are gringos? Definitely for the tourist crowd. El Zocalo across the street is a little better. Mi Pueblo and Los Golanes? are good.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austinjohn, do you know anywhere to get good TexMex in Detroit? Where do you go for good TexMex in Texas?

My personal favorite salsa is at "Taqueria Mexico" is SW Detroit. It's on Vernor a few blocks west of Duly's and across the street from (I believe) a Spartan Food Store. Their chips are decent but their salsa is excellent. Homemade, with fresh chunks of tomato and onions and cilantro.

Also, does anyone know of any Mexican restaurants in Detroit that make their own tortillas? It seems like everywhere I've been (and I've been to almost every one in SW Detroit) sells them out of the bag.

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detx,

I don't know anywhere in Detroit or Michigan for that matter that has real "Tex-Mex". I live in Austin and there are tons of places to get it. The best I have had is in McAllen, down near the border, but San Antonio is a close second.
A question: What the hell is a "wet burrito"?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xochimilco has good chips, but its salsa leaves a LOT to be desired.
But avoid Armando's. It has the best collection of 1980s Tigers autographs and the worst Mexican food in Detroit.

Joeyp1982
Username: Joeyp1982

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is off the subject but I wouldn't live in Texas if you paid me.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xochimilco; excellent food/best value

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having lived in Texas and being Mexican, I prefer Los Galanes for Tex/Mex. And Mi Puebla and Senor Lopez are pretty damn good.
Anyone ever been to Taqueria Nacimiento? Pretty funny if you know what it means.

Orchard612
Username: Orchard612

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, El Zocalo has the best salsa. I've been going there since the late 70's. Lately it's changed a bit, but some days it's like it always was in the past.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joeyp1982,

Texas is a GREAT place. Keep your negativity to yourself...

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno Austin but my sister-in-law's from El Paso and she loves Xochi's. And that's lard, not grease.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 966
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think all those joints on Bagley are good actually. There is one down on vernor, can't remember the name, but it was pretty good. One out on the west side is New Mexico Way on Ford just west of Wayne, it's as close to downtown without the drive. They came from downtown and the food is dam close to the Bagley bunch. I've hit a few Mex restaurants around Atlanta that are supposed to be the real deal, I'll take the Bagley group, any day over that. Thats been my experience with the south though, not many good restaurants. Ever have St Louis style pizza? ugh.

Joeyp1982
Username: Joeyp1982

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been to texas like five times and it sucks..my wife was robbed in dallas and houston reminds me of the middle eastern desert in the summer..can you get any hotter?? jesus christ

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo,

I've only had it once, but what's wrong with St. Louis-style pizza? I liked the use of cheddar, thought the 'za had real character.

I love Los Galanes and Taqueria Mexico, but I miss those rich, simple chile sauces I used to get at places like La Indita in Tucson

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and Los Galanes makes their own tortillas.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6515
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the Garden Fresh link posted above is the same company...

Note the .CA extension, that means it's a Canadian site. That Garden Fresh is located in Barrie, ON about 70 minutes north of Toronto.

-----

Edit - The site claims they are based in Ferndale, but the contact us gives an address in Barrie, Ontario... Any insight?

(Message edited by aiw on January 25, 2008)

(Message edited by aiw on January 25, 2008)

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 971
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats wrong with St Louis pizza? Well, nothing if you like cheddar cheese and meat on a big round greasy cracker. Seriously, that was nasty. Tried it twice, once at Rizzo's? Where the locals said that was the place to get it, I got it. Hillfolk should refrain from making any sort of ethnic food, even the americanized offerings. Stick to what they know.

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rancho Grande in Garden City is really good. I have a quart of their home made mild in my fridge right now. And New Mexico Restaurant in Westland sucks.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 974
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rancho Grande? Sheesh..

New Mexico used to be good, but if you think Rancho Grande is good that means they still are :-)

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chips and "hot sauce"? LOL, I thought you were referring to some strange potato chip/spicy sauce combo from Louisiana or something.

As for what is usually referred to as tortilla chips and salsa (gringoized name, they are tostadas, not tortillas), I find that authentic Mexican places generally do not do this quite well, as it is an American, not a Mexican dish. At best, it is Tex Mex. You will very rarely find tostadas and salsa in Mexico, and if you find it, rest assured it will be a touristy place.

Real Mexican food consists of huaraches, pozole, mole and lots of stuff rarely found in Tex Mex restaurants. Even the tacos are completely different.

That said, really good chips and salsa can be a treat. The best I ever had was in San Antonio, but it was unfortunately made with lard. Sad to say, but lard makes for fantastic tostadas.

Personally, I think Garden Fresh salsas are the best in metro Detroit. Authentic Mexicantown places probably aren't good places to look for chips and salsa.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer standard Mexican food rather than Tex-Mex. The Tex-Mex restaurants that I have been to use bell pepper for their Chili Rellano. If I want stuffed pepper I will have my Slovakian mother make it for me. I am a standard kind of girl. I eat at Azteca on Mound Rd. and West Utica, Rams Horn makes a REAL GOOD plate of super nachos (trust me), El Nibble Nook (any of them), Soshemilkos (starts with an X. I can only spell it phoenically at this point in time), and the one on the corner of Ford Road and Telegraph (I have been sick and my brain is on hold). This was the first place I had Mexican food....in 1967. All of these places have great chips and sauce.

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on January 25, 2008)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 673
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've always had excellent chips and hot sauce as well as a meal from this establishment:

http://www.panchovillas.net/in dex.html

It is located on 15 Mile Road in Sterling Heights in a little strip mall.

The service is great as well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.