Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Piece of Detroit history in my basement « Previous Next »
Archive through January 24, 2008Kathinozarks30 01-24-08  5:27 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't find a Detroit Stove ad, but I did find this brief history of the Stove industry in Detroit, which was written in 1928:

Detroit's Stove Industry, 1928

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 721
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what ever happened to that detroit stove industry? Decentralization?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3656
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The auto industry. The "all your eggs in one basket" syndrome.

Tobacco was huge in Detroit before, and concurrent with, stoves.

Fury13

Post Number: 3657
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had one of those Jewels when I was a kid. It worked great, but you couldn't move it.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.. Very nice. How long have you had that stove?

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Ookpik just finished his 3rd case! :-)

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

&Ed, I can't top that-it's interesting how much Pookie's appearance was altered over the years-if you want a double-Detroit dose here's his expert lip synching to "Little Stevie" Wonder's cover of "High-heel Sneakers" http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=-4966163284204182968 &q=pookie%2C+soupy;total=4&start=0&num=20&so=0&t ype=search&plindex=2

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2606
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik, you're the best! LOL. I'll just bet if someone starts a thread on Cadillac first setting foot in Detroit, you'll come up with a photo of it.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The auto industry. The "all your eggs in one basket" syndrome.

You make it sound as if this was a conscious decision by "someone", when in fact is was the result of competitive pressures, technological changes and product modernization in the kitchen stove industry that brought about their decline in the Detroit area.

Electric stoves became increasingly popular in the 1920s and 30s and they tended to be made with light-weight steel stampings instead of the conventional cast iron design. Consumer preferences headed towards the lighter weight designs and the Detroit area stove manufacturing, which was still based on iron castings, found a high price of entry into stamping die construction and the mass production of sheet-metal stampings due to the dominance of the local auto industry in those manufacturing fields.

These kinds of economic dislocations have been going on ever since the dawn of the Industrial Revolution. Depending on the local circumstances, sometimes they are hardly noticeable and at other times and places they bring great economic hardship. Detroit's economy was able to swallow the disappearance of the stove mfg. industry because many of the worker skills were very transferable to the auto industry, which was still growing. Anyone who would have tried back then to stand in their way by shouting that "it's wrong to put more of our eggs in one basket" would have been ridiculed and ignored.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 722
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its been in my family for like 65 years but I believe it is the first stove that was ever used in this flat. So it is close to being original to the house.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 969
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this old Detroit antique schitt.

Visitors seeking appraisals are asked to carry items in. No weapons will be evaluated. The cost is $5 per item, with a maximum of six items per person. Appointments are not required.
The War Memorial is at 32 Lake Shore. For more information, call 313-881-7511.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4795
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trunk that you can see in the first barrel picture is another Detroit antique. There is a label that is still barely readable on the side, indicating its owner traveled from New York to Detroit, MI in April of 1924. Probably an immigrant, I would think? It's in great shape, the interior cloth is still perfectly intact.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandmother owned a house on Kirby near Moran. She lived in the upper flat that had a rear entrance. She had a very old wood burning and gas stove. When the house was sold the stove stayed as it was so large and no one really knew what they'd do with it. The next owner never used the upstairs and the stove was never moved. I recently drove past the house and it is a vacant burned out hulk. It seems like most of the damage was upstairs. I wonder if the stove is still there and if it is what kind of shape it's in?

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice stove. Too bad they still don't make Detroit Jewel's. They were probably bought out by Maytag or something.

My piece of Detroit history:

I know it's not much, maybe mid 40's?

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the Faygo bottling company always located on Gratiot Avenue? Are they still there?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 911
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first Faygo factory was on Winder Street in the Eastern Market area.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 377
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kslice,

That Faygo case should be dated. Look for a two digit number like "49" or a three or four digit number like "6-49" or "11-49" and that will be the month and year - June, 1949 / November, 1949.

Ookpik

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Was the Faygo bottling company always located on Gratiot Avenue? Are they still there?"

Stinger,
Its still on Gratiot just past Mt. Elliott.

Blumoon191
Username: Blumoon191

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faygo reference... little piece of personal history! My great-grandfather developed an orange soda he called "Orange Chavey." (His last name was... Chavey of course!) He later sold it to Faygo probably around the time of the photo above.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 726
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool blumoon191, Welcome to the forum by the way!

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As some were sharing photos of their Detroit items, I thought I would post some pics of my collection.

The MCD shelf, with the Hudson's shelf above.

Close up of the Hudson's shelf.
The powder in the small bottle is dust from the implosion day, collected shortly after she came down. Most other items were obtained from inside.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4836
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, do you run a museum? Cool stuff.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of E&B ...

http://www.glaserproductions.c om/blog/2008/01/little-mikes.h tml

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4838
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Harper, I plan to check that out later today. I already have it bookmarked. :-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2623
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, crawlspace, great photos and great collection! Thanks for sharing. I'm impressed!

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great treasures folks!

Here is some of my restored "street furniture" from years past:

Restored 1962 Marbelite signals:
JOE
marb08

Restored 1947 Crouse Hinds 4-way signal:

4-way08

Restored 1955 Crouse Hinds signal and 1960 Econolite Signal:

ADECO08

Restored Eagle Signals (1940s and 1950s):

EAG08

Fury13

Post Number: 3667
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...competitive pressures, technological changes and product modernization in the kitchen stove industry that brought about their decline in the Detroit area."

Kind of like what's going on with the auto industry and Detroit right now, right?

"Anyone who would have tried back then to stand in their way by shouting that "it's wrong to put more of our eggs in one basket" would have been ridiculed and ignored."

There have been short-sighted people since the dawn of time.

And there are plenty of cities in the United States, with decades-old diversified economies, that are NOT dying, a la Detroit.

Eastsider4sure
Username: Eastsider4sure

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kslice,
My grandfather worked for Michigan Stove in Detroit for 38 years, and he was 65 when he retired from there. He started in 1920, and retired in 1958. Detroit Stove Works merged with Michigan Stove and was renamed Detroit Michigan Stove Company. Subsequently, in 1958, or perhaps a little earlier the company was purchased by Wel-built Corp. Detroit Michigan Stove Co, was thus closed down, and operations moved to New York. That company was represented by the UAW Local #1. I found out his retirement pension was miscalculated, but I found out 35 years later when I investigated for myself. They paid him $6 a month, and he should've earned $57. The formula was $1.50 for each year of service, to be paid monthly till death. He was shorted $12,240 his entire retirement life. Nobody in the family knew the difference. My inquisitive mind, and audit background learned the truth.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krawlspace... wow. Thank you for sharing your collection! Now I feel like such an amateur :-)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an old stove in my basement that I need to get rid of. Not as old as that one, but it's probably a 1920s or 1930s stove. Needs some cleaning and replacement parts. Let me know if you want it. Probably weighs about a kabillion pounds, though, and I don't deliver. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.