Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Debate over OC vrs WC » Archive through January 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to debate / convince this team that Wayne County is a better place to live over Oakland County...

What are some positives...

I thought some Detroit High Schools were on Nationally Ranked list of Top Schools

any suggestions?

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Less traffic, bigger lakes, more culture, more character, more affordable real estate.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French, I heard you were 15, which makes this grade 10? Hopefully, it's for debate club and not just a dumb waste of class time.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 498
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne has Detroit River/Lake St. Clair frontage, which in my mind is a notch above those crowded little lakes up in West Bloomfield and Commerce Township. And if you ever need to flee the country for any reason, Wayne County controls the escape routes. :-)

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are those bigger lakes you're talking about Taj? Do you mean St. Clair?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the cost of living is even lower in WC than OC.

I always thought the top ranked Detroit schools worked on a regional level for students?

Anyway, you're closer to the airport, the water, and Canada.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3335
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ethnic diversity, history and cultural institutions, sports and entertainment options, world headquarters for major international companies like Ford & GM that give back to the community (e.g. Campus Martius), the only Ikea store in the area, control of most of the local water distribution system, better hospitals

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2553
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Less snobby?

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Less snobby is a good one.

Urban living and the benefits to it (emotionally, economically, environmentally) are positive.

And while OC does have history, WC has more.

It depends on where in WC though.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 534
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pup,

Why is it that a an area with a minority as the majority of the population is always called "diverse".

Detroit lacks diversity more than the suburbs.

Overall, Wayne County is diverse but full of areas with all black ( Detroit, Inkster) or all white (Livonia, Canton) residents but I think the mix in better in the O.C.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3337
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit lacks diversity more than the suburbs"

we're talking the county, not the City of Detroit, and not just black and white
and no, the mix is not better in OC

321brian

Post Number: 535
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how do you know? where do you live?

i said the county (wayne) was more diverse on paper but in reality it is pockets of light and dark.

i think oakland county is more representative of the population of the country.

no denying there are some very white areas but they are small compared to detroit.

don't sleep on southfield.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3338
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lived in Oakland, Wayne, and Washtenaw counties. I have worked in Oakland, Wayne, and Washtenaw counties.

321brian

Post Number: 537
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you just don't pay attention to your surroundings then.

How many cities like Oak Park, Lathrup Village and Southfield does wayne county have?

Lilpup

Post Number: 3339
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do pay attention to my surroundings. The cities you list are cities in transition, just like the neighborhoods in Detroit went through transition. They have their counterparts in Wayne County. When I was young the cities you list were almost totally white.

321brian

Post Number: 538
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point isn't what the cities used to be or what they will be. What are they now?

99% of Detroit is not diverse. Overall Oakland Country is more diverse. As in it has more cities with diverse populations than Wayne County.

That is all I'm saying.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3340
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're not talking Detroit here, we're talking the entire county, and it's disingenuous to point to cities in transition as if they are stable, long-established, integrated areas.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

99% of Detroit is not Diverse? Southwest Detroit is very diverse and it has a population of 100,000. That's over 10% of the city. Southwest Detroit is 24% white, 33% black, 39% hispanic, 3% multi-racial and 1% of some other race. If the Asian population was higher it would be almost the "ideal" example of diversity.

Wayne County also has:

Dearborn - The largest concentration of Arabs outside of the Middle East. Oakland County has nothing like what you would find on Warren Ave or Dix Avenue near Vernor Hwy.

Hamtramck - Easily one of the most diverse 2 sq. mi. areas in the entire United States. Dozens of different ethnic groups call this city home including Poles, Germans, Yugoslavians, Arabs, Bengladeshi, Italians, Irish, Ukrainians, Albanians, African Americans, etc. Hamtramck is about 60% White, 15% Black, 10% Asian, 12% multi-racial, 2% hispanic, and 1% of some other race.

There are only nine cities in the Tri-County area where no race makes up 70% or more of the total population. Four are in Oakland County, five are in Wayne County.

Inkster - 25% white / 67% black / 3% asian / 5% other
Pontiac - 35% white / 47% black / 13% hispanic / 5% other
Southfield - 38% white / 54% black / 3% asian / 5% other
Lathrup Village - 46% white / 50% black / 4% other
Oak Park - 46% white / 46% black / 8% other
Ecorse - 47% white / 40% black / 9% hispanic / 4% other
River Rouge - 50% white / 42% black / 5% hispanic / 3% other
Hamtramck - 60% white / 15% black / 10% asian / 15% other
Romulus - 64% white / 30% black / 6% other

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hans57:
Wayne County also includes Lake Erie.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2554
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In what twilight zone is Oakland County more racially diverse than Wayne County?

Oakland County:
82.75% White
10.11% Black or African American
0.27% Native American
4.14% Asian American
0.02% Pacific Islander
0.84% from other races
1.86% from two or more races
2.43% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
87.4% spoke English, 2.0% Spanish, 1.3% Syriac and 1.0% Arabic as their first

Wayne County:
51.70% White
42.16% Black or African American
0.37% Native American
1.70% Asian
0.02% Pacific Islander
1.55% from other race
2.49% from two or more races
3.75% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 89.3% spoke English, 3.2% Spanish and 2.4% Arabic as their first language.

(Message edited by iheartthed on January 22, 2008)

(Message edited by iheartthed on January 22, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4728
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, exactly, is so great about "diversity"? Unless you are suggesting it somehow leads to some other benefits. But in that case, why not just list those benefits when comparing the counties? I don't understand how "diversity" by itself is a positive or negative factor in choosing a place to live.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2555
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be fair, Oakland County is about as white as Detroit is black, but (obviously) a greater percentage of white Hispanics...

82.70% African American
12.26% white
0.97% Asian
0.33% Native American
0.03% Pacific Islander
2.54% from other races
2.32% from two or more races.
4.96 percent of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Non-Hispanic whites accounted for 10.50% of Detroit's population. The city's foreign-born population stood at 4.8%.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 538
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The commute to work is much easier. The time it takes to cover the distance between downriver and downtown is 2 or 3 times shorter than the time to cover the same distance coming from Oakland County.

321brian

Post Number: 539
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice stats.

What they don't tell you is that over 90% of the blacks in Wayne County are in Detroit. The rest of the county is whiter than Oakland County.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In what twilight zone is Oakland County more racially diverse than Wayne County?

Uh, well, I believe the comment was more directed toward the level of integration and how one defines "diversity"? Seems the statements were challenging the assumption that the mere presence of minority automatically equals "diversity".

A city of 900k+ that is 80%+ black, isn't diverse.(in the same way a county that is 80%+ White isn't) When that 80% concentrated population makes up the vast majority of the 42% living in the County...well, there ya go. Diversity of residents across the county? Sure. Well integrated so that "diversity" actually matters? Not so much.

Not that OC is any better, but I don't see Wayne county as some sort of rainbow coalition paradise.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2556
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What they don't tell you is that over 90% of the blacks in Wayne County are in Detroit. The rest of the county is whiter than Oakland County.

True. Just like 60% of the black people in Oakland County live in Southfield and Pontiac. I'd guess the vast majority of the rest live in Royal Oak Twp and Oak Park... with a few in Farmington Hills and a couple in West Bloomfield.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not that OC is any better, but I don't see Wayne county as some sort of rainbow coalition paradise.

I don't think my claim was that Wayne County was more or less integrated than Oakland County. But clearly Wayne County has a much more diverse population (that affects things like... oh, elections?) than Oakland County. Whether it is an integrated population is a different story, I agree.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3341
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and diversity is about more than black and white

Pakistani, Indian, Albanian, Iranian, Arabic

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 789
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to admit it but Oakland COunty is pretty nice. Large road system. Endless clean and upscale neighborhoods. Good services. Beautiful landscapes both urban and rural. Clean and large park system both county, state and Metro Parks. Good Schools in Oakland. World class shopping and businesses. A lot of people will hate it here because of the sprawl or urban design of most of Oaklands sprawl, but some people are WAY to pretentious over themselves because they can appreciate an appropriate street layout!
Wayne on the other hand does offer a great place to live but has a whole lot of blighted areas, crumbling infrastructure, lots of heavy industry. Brownfields, crime. There are areas of Wayne that are like Oakland but only parts of Wayne. Wayne though also has more options for people with normal incomes. Dearborn is an amazing city.
In my opinion if you hate the blight found in parts of Wayne or the snootyness of Oakland than you have to go for the ultimate middle ground of the Detroit area. MAcomb County not to rich, not to poor but just right! TO answer the question though I would say that Oakland is a better place to live than Wayne....but not for me personally.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne County has just as many good school districts as Oakland County. Grosse Ile, Grosse Pointe, Livonia, Northville, Plymouth-Canton, Riverview, and Trenton are all Top 15 school districts for MEAP scores in the Tri-County area. In fact, in the last test year Grosse Ile had by far the highest scores in Math and Science. 85% met or exceeded the state standards for Math (the next highest was Rochester at 79%) and 90% met or exceeded the state standards for Science (the next highest was Novi at 83%). It ranked 2nd overall in Reading (behind Grosse Point) and Writing (behind Riverview). It ranked 12th overall in social studies, but consider that Birmingham ranked 51st overall in the same category...

Oakland County had the other 8 school Districts. The highest ranked district in Macomb County was Romeo at #18.

So while, Wayne County does have DPS and a few other under-performing districts, you can still live in the county and send your kids to some of the best schools in the nation.

(Message edited by hudkina on January 22, 2008)