Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Worst Parts of Detroit? » Archive through November 09, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ErikD said "To be sure, there are some city residents that just piss on the city, but I wouldn't underestimate the impact of suburbanites fucking up the city."

In the same vein I wouldn't overestimate it either. People have a responsibility to their neighborhoods and their neighbors a concept often lost in today's Detroit. I guess you can blame white kids from the suburbs for your problems but at the same time you would probably not know who to blame for the fact you have to have bars on your windows and worry about anything you won that isn't nailed down, walking away in the middle of the night.

A lot of people in this forum make it a black vs white issue or a suburb vs city issue but the fact remains that the city lacks accountability at all levels and just makes excuse after excuse to deal with its most acute problems. Coleman Young was good at projecting this mindset and it still lingers in Detroit. When things go wrong blame someone, anyone but yourself.

If suburbanites are dumping in your neighborhood what the hell are you doing about it? If drunken suburbanites are dumping your flower pots and pissing on your house what are you doing about it? If your neighbor’s house got robbed in broad daylight what are you doing about it? Sounds like nothing except casting blame on those who don’t live in your neighborhood. Same applies throughout Detroit. When citizens have pride in their community and put some, even a little work into making things better instead of ignoring it then maybe Detroit will make progress. Too many citizens I’ve spoken with over the years that live in the city have a lot to say about how they don’t get the support of city government, how they feel unsafe in their homes, and how they would leave if they had the chance. Instead maybe they could start accepting responsibility for their actions and the actions of their neighbors. It’s really not that damn difficult. Create neighborhood associations, establish a voting block and a lobby to ping city officials, and don’t let criminals and deadbeats kill your neighborhood.

I’m not saying all Detroit neighborhoods are bad because I know better and I appreciate the effort of many who post here and others who are trying to make their neighborhoods and city better. I wish those folks the best in their endeavors and I hope to someday assist them in returning Detroit to at the very least a safe place that embraces community as it once did thirty or forty years ago. But the excuses and the constant finger pointing have killed this city over the past 30 years and it’s time for that to stop and for people to be accountable for their own actions and the actions of others, and to hold those people and their elected officials accountable for the problems that plague the city.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What year did you move out, Lombaoski?

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 416
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea its them lions fans and red wing fans from the suburbs! WHEN THE HELL IS THIS GOING TO STOP?? WTF

BLAME IT ON ANYONE BUT ME! God I miss Detroit, but I sure as hell dont miss this shit!

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 417
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst part of Detroit in my eyes is Highland Park! Said it before and will keep saying it. Its an ulcer right in the middle of the city!

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 806
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park is a scab-of-a-city

Arrogancy
Username: Arrogancy

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any suburb within the city (ie. South of 8 mile) is pretty horrible. Within the city itself, the southwest side is probably the worst, with pockets in the lower east side being pretty bad as well.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst part of the city just has to be the Whittier & Gratiot Area. When I look down some of those streets it sends a chill down my spine.

Johnamos
Username: Johnamos

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit breaks my heart. My family immigrated from Germany to Detroit in 1847. Four generations lived there. My parents moved to Grand Rapids shortly after they married in 1955. I have recently discovered a great deal about the history of my family as well as the history of Detroit.
My family name is, in a small part, written into Detroit history. From what I have recently learned, Detroit was designed to be one of the great cities of the world. Shortcuts were not taken. Buildings were of the highest quality and design. The railroad and great lakes shipping and Detroit were an integral part of the lifeblood of this nation. The Automotive industry explosion brought great prosperity, but unfortunately it prompted massive overexpansion and created a shell which the infrastructure just could not sustain. Growing up, we would visit our grandparents and other relatives in Detroit. We always looked forward to going to the "Big" city. I hope beyond hope that Detroit can rise once again to take her place among the elite cities of the world, but I fear that Detroit could be a sign of what is in store for the entire state of Michigan if something is not done to curtail the degredation of a society without hope.

The worst part of Detroit is the fact that she was once a beautiful princess and is now on her death bed in the throws of a terminal cancer from which she has suffered for seven decades. I feel connected to Detroit even though I have never lived there.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9240 Dwight St.

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamilton through Highland Park ( McNichols 'til you cross the Lodge)

Makes Fallujah look like Franklin.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote would go to the area directly South of the I-96 expressway near Lasher . That neighborhood is total Tobacco Road . Makes Brightmore look good in comparison

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 563
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its bad people that is the problem and not bad areas.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 496
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, I'm starting to really like your posts now (this is 2 of 563!).

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The area north of the Davison between Dequindre and Conant is very blighted. So is north of Carpenter and west of Jos. Campau, although to a lesser degree. There is a problem with prostitutes at the end of my street. In the morning, where do they go back to? They walk to their crackhouse du jour north of the Davison. Close enough to my respectable neighborhood to bother us but far enough away that they at least do not live in the neighborhood. That area really needs to get some hazardous structures demolished and flush some of those low-lifes out.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Hey, whats with the burned out house in that area on Dequindre that has "art house" painted on it? Ive always wondered about that place.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably some hacks that tried to be all cutting edge and "Heidelberg" with it...then went back to their parents' basement in the suburbs. I've seen it though...I think it is on the west side of the road, which might make it the far end of Highland Park...near the Highland Park city services complex, right?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading their posts, I feel absolutely obligated to thank Lombaowski and Johnamos for sharing their thoughts on this subject. Lombaowski's post clearly, succinctly, and eloquently presents truths which are, to my mind, irrefutable, and as unpleasant as those words may sound, they are actually rather encouraging; they convey a message of empowerment. Johnamos' palpable sorrow for Detroit was truly touching, and I appreciate his sharing those thoughts, devoid of agenda as they were.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worst part, let alone "parts" is hard to come up with. So, one bad part is easy, and I came up with a second worst part so's to be pluralistic-like.

1. Traffic lights. Nothing bother me worse than to be truckin' down a ghetto street, nice and steady, making my way back to safe refuge, when all of a sudden I am halted by a red light at a dead intersection for a full fu* minute! At such time I am reluctantly forced to actually look around from corner to corner. Potato chip bags and dirty diapers blow by like tumbleweed. I see the same old crumbling homes, piles of furniture on the curb, waiting for pick-up. "Loooookeeeeng good!" I says to the lone streetwalker, Mookey. There is no other traffic around. I am half-tempted to blow this idiotic light, but knowing my luck, would be stopped by the one and only DPD patrol car, found to be driving with no insurance, illegal plates... ad nauseum. Ah well. The timing of the traffic lights seriously need adjusting.

2. Inconsiderate crack dealers. Nothing bothers me more than to be out and about on an early weekend morning, heading over to a friends house, steadily cruising down a ghetto sidestreet, only to be abruptly halted by some friggin' crack deal going down between a guy in a pickup truck in front of me. Jesus! And I have to sit there and wait and wait for the pipe to go back and forth between the guy in the truck and the two or three people standing outside in their friggin' boxers while they have a morning wake-up. Ah well.

Thass about all I can think of that's really ... really ... bad about Detroit.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...ooops,

Ravine

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores, you're looking for the other forum, the one down the dial, where the inappropriately smug adolescents hang around and trade remarks that possess all the cleverness and wit of rest-room graffiti written by an eight-year-old boy.
And take that fuckin' ugly hat with you.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 505
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"1. Traffic lights. Nothing bother me worse than to be truckin' down a ghetto street, nice and steady, making my way back to safe refuge, when all of a sudden I am halted by a red light at a dead intersection for a full fu*•••• minute! At such time I am reluctantly forced to actually look around from corner to corner. Potato chip bags and dirty diapers blow by like tumbleweed. I see the same old crumbling homes, piles of furniture on the curb, waiting for pick-up. "Loooookeeeeng good!" I says to the lone streetwalker, Mookey. There is no other traffic around. I am half-tempted to blow this idiotic light, but knowing my luck, would be stopped by the one and only DPD patrol car, found to be driving with no insurance, illegal plates... ad nauseum. Ah well. The timing of the traffic lights seriously need adjusting."

Yeah, many of those lights were back from Detroit's little "New York" Days (50s-60s). Ever since the 80s, seeing how pointless they became, the city just let them fall into disrepair or took many of them down all together. They're still found either half working or not working at all in the more densely zoned neighborhoods closer to downtown (midtown, black bottom, Islandview, etc.)

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper & Gratiot area has to be up there.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 509
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOOOO, you know what, I am so surprised no one put Linwood and Dexter or Joy rd. and Southfield.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

... where the inappropriately smug adolescents hang around and trade remarks that possess all the cleverness and wit of rest-room graffiti written by an eight-year-old boy.

Can you tell me where to get this "ignore list" function that you are using for this site, and what browser supports it?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 918
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst part of Detroit is any part that has its history smashed in the name of "progress”. In Detroit one can see the last visages of our past slowly, and deliberately, slipping away. Along with it goes a piece of time that will vanish forever. All over this forum people talk about what it was like back in the day. Now all we have is just that, talk. Each house, garage, building or gas station holds a bit of Detroit history, and this is a shame to loose so soon. I know many here love the shiny new Detroit, but I like the time I lived in, and before that when my grand parents found Detroit shiny, new and full of hope.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Bullet

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nottingham & Harper.

Ravine

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooh, Pg13, I like our comrade HarNot, but that was pretty funny.

Ahartz
Username: Ahartz

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am amazed at the amount of street garbage in the neighborhoods of detroit. Once a week, more in the summer, I walk the street for about a two home range on either side of me collecting garbage. In the street, up in someones bushes, etc...did I put it there, no. But I don't want it there either. What does it take for city residents to do this??/..if its being done I have not seen it...andy.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 645
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

worst parts of detroit? where to start?
a lot of people just don't give a shit, not my problem.