Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Happy Birthday, Ernie Harwell « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legendary Tigers radio voice ERNIE HARWELL turns 90 years old today.

Ernie remains active as a commercial spokesman and was a vocal participant in the controversy over the redevelopment of Tiger Stadium earlier this year. He will also be honored by his hometown, Washington, GA, on February 14 and inducted into the Georgia Sports Hall of Fam on February 15th.

He is probably my number one Tiger memory. Think back how many times you have heard his voice just doing play-by-play over the years.

Then there was the voice of God, Paul Carey. Those were some pipes!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard him on the radio this morning, what a classy man. Being a big tiger fan from the late 60's on, I now realize he was a big part of my childhood

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Birthday Mr. Harwell! Tiiiger Baseball :-)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4798
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Happy Birthday Ernie. I'll always remember having hesitating players described to me as standing there like the house on the side of the road.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4380
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even being a Tigers fan since the early 90s he was a solid part of my childhood!

Keep it goin', Ernie.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 530
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was able to interview him at his house five years ago and he is a classy individual. Lulu and he make a cute couple.
He is a devout Christian and practices what he preaches.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernie Harwell, Van Patrick, Bud Lynch. Detroit has definately been blessed over the years. Happy birthday Mr H.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2724
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy, Happy Birthday, Ernie!! And many more!
We have been blessed to have such an enduring voice for our Detroit Tigers and our community!!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Birthday, Ernie, he is the only person I have ever asked for and received an autograph from.

He made the long automobile trips to and from our cottage in Northern Michigan in the summers more tolerable, during the times that he was announcing Tigers games in the 60s thru the 90s.

Some of my favorite memories of my youth included sitting on our porch of my home or my neighbors homes in Detroit, on hot summer nights, listening to Tigers games that Ernie broadcasted, on tinny transistor radios.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on January 25, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4806
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What stinks in my mind with Ernie, is going to the Drive-In with my parents to see a movie, and listening to him announce the game on the car radio while waiting for it to get dark enough for the movie to start.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernie Harwell truly is a Detroit treasure.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fGtpXxeD2LM

Articles:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080125/SPO RTS02/801250325/

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080122/SPO RTS02/801220365

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080125/S PORTS0104/801250349

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

happy Birthday to a person who lite up the night on many front porches...many happy returns and more birthdays...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man hearning "and now batting for the tigahs" brings back some great memories. I got his autograph as a kid and brought it to show and tell for the next 3 years

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck Swirsky,formerly of WJR760, had Ernie on his afternoon radio show on the Fan 590 in Toronto today. Ernie talked about the thrill of meeting presidents. Swirsky then told the story that Ernie was meeting with Reagan when his secretary told Reagan his next appointment, a French ambassador, was waiting. Reagan, in his slow droll, said "Well, you tell him I'm talking baseball with Mr.Ernie Harwell."

(Message edited by 401don on January 25, 2008)

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 366
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The nicest man and best broadcaster I've ever met. Every time I've spoken to him in person, he has treated me like I was the only person in the room. And I'll always treasure the pep talk he gave me, just a few hours after I learned that my first full-time Detroit radio job -- the job I'd had for exactly 2 days -- might disappear.

Happy Birthday, Ernie!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 414
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I highly recommend this CD collection:

http://www.eharwell.com/

Happy 90th to the "Voice of the Turtle"!

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 513
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my greatest thrills happened in the 80's when I was working as a Supervisor at Tiger Stadium. One of my responsibilities was checking on Ernie and Paul Carey before and after the game. Whenever they left the broadcast cage, they would be besieged by fans, wanting to talk baseball and get autographs. Ernie and Paul never ever turned anyone down and often I found them listening patiently to a fan's laboring point of view long after a game had ended. On one occasion Ernie and Paul invited me into the booth to watch the game. I actually sat behind the great Ernie Harwell as he and Paul announced the game. After, Paul introduced me to his wife as if he had known me for years. I will never forget the warmth and personalities of these two fine gentlemen. Happy Birthday, Ernie!

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An Ernie Harwell autographed ball is one of the proud pieces in my HOF collection...he signed it personally for me. Happy Birthday Ernie...and...thanks for the memories.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure there are a thousand stories of young broadcaster hopefuls getting personal advice from Ernie. He always had time for young guys who wanted to become sports announcers. I was one of those young guys. He is a man of class and personal generosity. Happy Birthday.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.