Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » London Property is on top of the world « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 990
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming out of the UK a journalist writes that Detroit is hell and lost more people except for Katrina victims.
http://www.moneyweek.com/file/ 30445/why-london-property-is-o n-top-of-the-world.html
"But we’re here in London; what’s the worry? No cars are built in London. Instead, financial services are our trade. And is there any better game to be in?"
Me:
London will soon find out how financial markets can even go wrong.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plastics my boy, that's where the future is!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eff that Limey, if it were not for the Arsenal Of Democracy in Detroit during WWII his lovely London might have been crushed completely underneath the jackbooted Nazis.

Too bad our pathetic leadership in Washington since the 60s, has allowed the nation to lose most of our manufacturing base to countries like Communist China and Japan, whose people consider us to be "gajin", meaning barbarians.

"All your base are belong to us"...yeah, I guess so.

Lefty2

Post Number: 995
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A graduate fan are you.

I say selling Carbon credits online to unsuspecting liberals would be more profitable or even selling imported Canadian prescriptions to old folks online.

Kris
Username: Kris

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"gajin", meaning barbarians."

gaijin is just a japanese word meaning foreigner, not barbarian.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaikokujin means foreigner, the contracted version can be used as an insult. I misspelled it anyway it is gaijin.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The David Stott building is 32 floors above ground, not 65. A lot of the other things he said were inaccurate by a similar margin.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the point of the article

to Denoce Detroit?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6517
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Eff that Limey, if it were not for the Arsenal Of Democracy in Detroit during WWII his lovely London might have been crushed completely underneath the jackbooted Nazis.

Gotta love the Yankee arrogance.

That's the reason most of the world despises you.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And don't forget, all the world makes fun of Canadians. ;)

Flanders_field

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Gotta love the Yankee arrogance"

The author of that article which was posted in a circulated magazine, compares Detroit's plight to biblical hellholes like Sodom and Gomorrah, that God allegedly smote down? Seems to me that he was the arrogant gauntlet thrower. Why compare London to Detroit anyway, when it is more closely related to the bleak industrial areas of England such as Birmingham.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be Varwy interested in that Propewrty.........

A foogy day, in Wondon town

Lefty2

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point of article here is to show what other journalists or people think of Detroit, not to knock it down. Sometimes it takes an outsider to get a better objective opinion.
Detroit will find it's niche sometime soon (years, decades?) and then will be near the top once more.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is one mans opinion. I read a lot of british mags and they love Detroit. MOJO even named it the top place to visit in 04. My uncle who is a VP for GM travels a lot and says the Europeans are very interested in the D

Flanders_field

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit will find it's niche sometime soon (years, decades?) and then will be near the top once more"

Can't even begin to imagine what that would be, unless it becomes a location to film reality shows such as "Survivor: Motown" or maybe a serial such as "Lost" where a plane crashes in the City Airport area....whose survivors learn to deal with strange occurences, haunted long abandoned mansions, ghost-town neighborhoods and discover what remains of the magical street of Heidelberg.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 510
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think this is one mans opinion. I read a lot of british mags and they love Detroit. MOJO even named it the top place to visit in 04. My uncle who is a VP for GM travels a lot and says the Europeans are very interested in the D"

-yep--learning what not to do

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4497
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All depends on how you consider risk of fatalities. Which has been more dangerous in recent history?

2005 Commuter Train bombings 52 dead, 700 injured

1952 The great London smog of 1952 12,000+ dead

1953 Thames Flood 300+ dead

1941 Battle of Britain 13,000+ dead

and going back a wee bit:

1666 The Plague 56,000+ dead

But then rush hour drive has be safer in London with average speed being 7 MPH

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 638
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live in London and that's where I got interested in mass transit and why I work in the mass transit industry today.

Detroit will come back but we must vote in leaders who truly care about our inner cities. The public money that we pay to our government is being shifted away from our inner cities and suburbs like Detroit and Livonia. So, we must get people elected that will go to Lansing and fight.

Unfortunately, the leaders that represent Livonia came to our city hall and said that Michigan is a hopeless State and that they can not or will not fight for tax dollars to fix Detroit. So, we must vote these people out.

There are good leaders though that will never quit on you. So, forgive them if they make a few mistakes and help them.

For example, get Mayor Kilpatrick to come to Livonia city hall and support the many good efforts and industry support to get the SMART buses back into Livonia. SMART did a good job before they left and their buses were full on the Middlebelt 285 route. So, it's time for the Detroit mayor to get back to work and help SMART and DDOT out. This was one of the promises he made to get elected.

Fmstack
Username: Fmstack

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'all do realize that the last line in the article is sarcastic, right?

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think they get it Fmstack...

London's poised for a tailspin in the real estate market due to the same financial woes in the UK... Anyone heard of Northbank??? The writer's making fun of the fact that they're the "financial capital" of the world... they're in deep sh**.

London real estate prices are being slashed due to a lack of financing for more pricier jaunts. Detroit has the respect of many Britons, and Europeans for that matter, as it is the home of America's automobile industry, and the mecca for Motown and Electronic Music...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.