Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Creem Magazine » Archive through January 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3640
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just finished part one of the Creem magazine story in this weeks Metro Times (by Bill Holdship). I loved that magazine, loved it madly, read it religiously, loved it. The snotty attitude Creem had in spades was my model for most of my adult life.

I started reading it early in its life, I first bought it at the head shop on Lahser Road off Grand River (does anybody remember the name?).

I am looking forward to part 2 next week.

Boy Howdy!

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 832
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved the mag as well, ORF. When I was a kid I actually had a customer on my paper route who worked for Creem. I always got Creem schwag as a tip and wouldn't have had it any other way!

Boy Howdy Indeed!

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Redfordette- I remember that head shop on Lahser . That's where I also bought Creem magazine and Fifth Estate. It was called "The Other Place". Reason for that name, I have no idea.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3645
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha. I used to buy cherry flavored rolling papers there. I didn't smoke pot then, but I hoped to give the impression that I did.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4660
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I barely remember that place..tried to go into that head shop when I was about 8 years old, but the pompous hippy bastard kicked me out...

There's a bit of a scrap going on about the name "Creem" going on, as a former contributor bought the rights to the name and has published a book about the mag...apparently, he is talking about reviving the magazine, but we've heard that before.

http://www.observer.com/2007/n ew-creem-retrospective-outrage s-magazines-alums

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fifth Estate was my main reading back in the day.
I wonder if there is any shops in the Metro area that carries old stuff like that?
I've stopped in a few comic book stores, but have found nothing even close.
It sure would be fun to open up a copy and go back in time again.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice to read an accurate account of Creem's early days by someone who was actually there -- say, Dave Marsh.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was supposed to write for the revamped creem. they had one internet issue

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4661
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was that the 2003 revamp? Or a prior one?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this was 2005

Talleman1
Username: Talleman1

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the very first Creem with the Led Zepplin review, love the hippy shop map, only the plum pit remains.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3648
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have copies.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have, at least, three of them. Covers: Quallude Epidemic, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix.
At the time, I preferred Rolling Stone. But then, that's before Rolling Stone turned into warthog dung.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 931
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there is room for Creem. Sell it to online MP3 kids. I always would go into stores and read it as a kid.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the Creem with Rockpile on the cover!

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2848
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the 1st creem.It was much like (format) the metro times. I was about twelve at the time.Discount records and middle earth in Ann Arbor had it.

Here is something from Rolling Stone about the downfall of hi fidelity.

http://www.rollingstone.com/ne ws/story/17777619/the_death_of _high_fidelity/print

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would John King have any old copies? They often have a lot of old magazines down there.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3321
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a whole box full. Not the real early ones though. Probably from like 75-80.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BOY-HOWDY!!

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Extra CREEM? It was an 8-10 page insert in the regular magazine made especially for us lucky folks in SE Michigan. It started around ’75 and lasted a few years. It had concert listings, bar and store reviews and other pertinent info. I remember one hilarious article called “The Rastafarians of Birmingham” or something like that. It was a photo essay with Lester Bangs and some of the other writers playing Rastas in the streets of B-Ham. Funny stuff. They also had a pretty good 2-3 part series on the history of Michigan rock.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Extra CREEM? It was an 8-10 page insert in the regular magazine especially for us lucky folks in SE Michigan. It started around ’75 and lasted a few years. It had concert listings, bar and store reviews and other pertinent info. I remember one hilarious article called “The Rastafarians of Birmingham” or something like that. It was a photo essay with Lester Bangs and some of the other writers playing Rastas in the streets of B-Ham. Funny stuff. They also had a pretty good 2-3 part series on the history of Michigan rock.

Ravine

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, I saw that RS piece in the magazine. We're a bit off-topic, here, but I found the article to be very interesting. A friend burned a copy of The White Stripes' "Icky Thump" for me, and while observing that I wasn't at all excited by much of the music, I also found myself wondering why the sound quality was so mediocre. The RS piece shed light on a possible explanation which I had not, at all, considered.
Or, maybe Jack White thinks that a shitty sound is a Good Thing. I have had occasion to believe that Iggy subscribes to that preference.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3652
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would really like to hear Dave Marsh's version of the Creem story. I have no real opinion of the MT story, except it got me thinking of Creem and the snarky sarcastic music loving writing that I loved so dearly when I was a little oldredfordette.

Remember when Flo and Eddie posed nude? And Martin Mull, with a very large baguette? When Lester Bangs played the typewriter on stage with J. Geils?

Ravine

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flo & Eddie nude. Gosh, Oldette, thanks for calling up that image.
I owe you one, dammit.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Sue Whithall because she worked for Creem....and if she ever saw the Incredible Mohawk Brothers naked....she would have named them Creem Dream number 53.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 947
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

boy howdy,

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yeah, I've kept a bunch of them through the years. This is the earliest one I have, from April 1973. I studied Creem like a textbook. And real proud it was homegrown, too.

Creem Spiderman

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

back in my days i mowed the lawn of a record store in garden city, the owner a former creem magazine photographer, was always full of stories and told me alot about rock&roll. he had them boy howdy beer cans sitting on a shelf. but i never got into the rock mags so all the stuff was new to me.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 345
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I 1968, I lived on Euclid, right on the alley, across the street from the Algiers Motel (what was my problem?), I shopped at Mixed Media for a lot of my records. He was more expensive than the rest of the record shops. I mostly shopped at Harmony House in Hazel Park when I could get out there.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 576
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady, man o man, you have lived in some interesting places ... across from the Algiers ... jeeze. What was that like?