Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Campus Martius ice skating » Archive through December 13, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time I look at the webcam, there is no one ice skating. Am I just looking at the wrong times? Has this been as busy as it was in the previous years? I know I am going to be skating there in about 2 weeks.....we should set a night when all the DYes'ers skate!!

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going this weekend...probably Sunday evening

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been over there and asked the same question. They say it's sporadic in the daytime, with usually small groups on their lunch hour or a big school bus of kids on a field trip. It picks up in the evening. Of course, the rink closes when it's raining, and people tend to stay inside on extremely cold or windy days.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 794
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

friday and saturday nights are the times they pack them into the rink... It will pickup a bit during the day over Xmas breaks from school and others taking time off.....

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just today around 11:30 there was a large group (20-30) out there. It appeared that it was some sort of instructional class.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's unusual for a city park rink to have boards. It's too bad it wasn't a little larger and they could have allowed shinny hockey, maybe 3-4 per side, with one of those orange rubber balls. Do they still have those? It would be fun for people downtown to play before or after work.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm................I was born on Spring Garden..........(15053)

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 578
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the water from the fountain run year long?

<313>

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how late is it open during the week and how much does it cost to rent some skates?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 795
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kid,

7 admission, plus 3 if you need to rent skates.

campusmartiuspark.com has the other info, and a webcam

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Spirit

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 445
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hmmm................I was born on Spring Garden..........(15053)

Please, please, please don't turn this into another far east side memories thread. Thank you.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the fountain runs all winter

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only problem with hockey being allowed while people are skating is it makes movement difficult for other skaters, In Windsor they allow people to play shinny hockey while people are skating, Ive seen alot of people fall and it becomes very disorganized,, I dont know why they allow it when the general public is trying to skate,, Their surface is too small outside for it. Its better to keep skating time for skaters only.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan to skate for the first time when I return home for Christmas. Looks like fun.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have passed by on weekend nights and seen it completely packed... it will take time for it to catch on during the week and suburban population will take a while to learn to venture down here...

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is $7 considered reasonable? Sounds kind of steep for a public park but I don't skate so I have no idea if this is normal or would be keeping people away.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$7 for adults, $6 for children, plus the $3 skate rental, open until 10PM on weekdays.

We were there last night, there were 25-30 people skating.

There is a Learn To Skate class through WCCC Tues. & Thurs., Jan. 29-Feb. 28, 6-7PM, which is only $35 plus skate rental.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was, too, Mack. Probably saw you there.

Mackcreative

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid_dynamite, we were the ones with the kids.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11076
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$10 for a relatively unlimited time exercising and fighting off gravity?

Beats the heck out of going to a movie...for less money if you bring your own cocoa.

Time it between a late lunch at Eph's and dinner anywhere, and get the most out of your parking dollars!

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 413
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were you with a little girl in Pink?

I was with my girlfriend. I was the tall guy with a brown knit hat that looked very uncoordinated.

My feet still hurt.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 414
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...had lunch at Eph's for the first time on Saturday. Friggin' outstanding sandwiches.

Gannon

Post Number: 11081
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid,

Be careful out on that ice! Histeric's wife took a funny spill last year and we got to tease her for MONTHS! Some of you might've seen her in her cast at Eph's, hobbling around on Saturdays earlier this year.

Of course, that only means injury to ME is nearly certain, karma being the bitch that it can be on the whiplash.

Just make sure to tie those laces well around the ankles, and keep your knees flexible...don't let your center of gravity sit too high.

Skating can be tough to easily learn for a guy your size and build...but if Probert could stay upright and look co-ordinated, you certainly can get the hang of it!

I think we'll have to organize the next Foran's FSC around some ice skating...

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And like Probert make sure you do lots of coke so when you fall you dont feel it anyway.

Mackcreative

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's the Mr., I was the one holding the world's most adorable baby in a pale green snowsuit, snapping photos and fetching hot beverages.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all-

I spent about 21 years of my life in and on ice rinks, ponds and other various ice patches.

It sounds like a few lessons are in order.

I would be glad to try to share my ice skating acumen with anyone here who would like to learn.

I like Gannon's suggestion of combining an FSC and the rink!

Any thoughts or takers?

Let me know.....

By the way, kid, I'm 6'3" and 210lbs, so big ain't nothing.....

Gannon

Post Number: 11088
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll need some tips on how to stop gracefully.

What would it cost for a good pair of used ice skates in size twelve?! I'd rather have my own equipment, to insure sharpness and ankle protection...so I could easily justify $50 or so.

Twenty visits and I'm ahead of the game financially, too.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2906
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, try one of the play it again sports stores. They have plenty of used skates.

You can buy a decent pair of new skates for about $70 at Dunhams or Dicks sporting goods.

Also, wear a helmet if you're just learning. It will save you from one hell of a headache.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon-

Not to mention the hygiene thing as well!

Two places come to mind when you mention used skates-Play It Again Sports and Hansen's ACE Hardware on Warren across from Rouge Park.

As for cost, you can probably get a great pair of used Bauers for that $50. They give you a free sharpening on purchase, too.

As for the ankle thing, I was an ankle skater for the first three years (1963 through 1966) due to the lack of rigidity in the early days of those brown and black skates that we all wore and which were hand-me-downs. I used to joke about having my ankle bones sharpened instead of the blades!

Later, when I got my first pair of Black Panthers (late 60's early 70's) I found out what the missing component was, and that was a plastic insert that just didn't give at all.

As for tightening your skates and the wrap-around thing, I've experienced the "numbing" effects of having my skates too tight. Loose is better, but only after gaining experience!

Stopping, no problem! When I was coaching the mini-mites, I usually could get most of them side stopping in one or two practices. Adults are, of course, a totally different matter, but I have had some success there as well!

Perhaps we can discuss this further tonight, that is, if you are going to the FSC?

At your service my friend!