Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Episcopalians Leaving Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Episcopal Diocese of Michigan is abandoning Detroit and moving their offices to Plymouth.

It's so nice in Plymouth, almost as nice as Northville.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11264
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The church is a business that follows the money. No surprise here. Don't be worried as I am sure they will happily take money from anyone regardless of residence.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are Episcopalian and live in Detroit. But most Episcopalians are white with money (we are white and poor).

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Join Mother Catholic Church. This city is ours!(except for all the parishes the a###ole leadership closed throughout the years).
Hey Deardon, how is it in HELL! Szoka will be joining you soon!

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad. Urban Christian ministry is badly needed. But I'm not surprised. Episcopalians are known to go where the money is.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SE Michigan Juedo-Christian leadership has been tragically silent/complicit in the emptying out of center-city Detroit. It's disgraceful!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4383
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsiderules, i can see the frustration if you look at how many parishes and schools have closed, and all the really beautiful ones among those. But it's still amazing how many Detroit churches are open with such small congregations. There are few Catholics in the city, and they rely on former, now part-time parishoners coming in from the 'burbs.

The future is bright...people are more comfortable with coming to the city, and some (although not enough) people are realizing that their modern church structures and contemporary Masses out in the burbs are utter crap.

So let's be thankful for the dozens of great churches that still exist, and hope that they won't go away.

As for those Episcopalians, I'm a little surprised and of course never thrilled about someone leaving the city (especially an organization dedicated to service).

Pmb
Username: Pmb

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been involved with Detroit Episcopalians for just over five years (live in Corktown) and this announcement of the move really pissed me off. However, those who have been in the city and Episcopalian for much longer are saying that in this decades-long church flight from the city, this is simply the next logical step. As I think about it, sad but true.

Nevertheless, some of us will keep going and prosper anyways. (Spirit of Hope/Trinity on MLK and Trumbull)

Really, almost every Christian/Jewish house of worship, once reaching a certain size or surrounded by certain neighbors (usually having to do with class and/or race) all move to the far northwest side or out of the city. Synagogues and churches from Catholic to Baptist, Episcopalian to Non-denominational have all done the same.

Most churches are too institutionalized for self-preservation and will follow money rather than lead people into a new day. However, some of us are doing our best to stay faithful and are growing, building and serving.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I find most ironic are that the religious institutions that leave are the first ones to scream 'environmental justice', 'you're turning your back on the poor!' yet they close churches, schools, and move major facilities out to where only the richest of their followers can have access to them. These folks should be leading by example, yet they move out to where the bus don't go.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/ 1016/p16s01-lihc.htm

Its sad once you realize these folks are talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 365
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WWJD? = Move to the suburbs.

Rms
Username: Rms

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.the-record.org/Past oralLetter.pdf

The above link has a letter from the bishop that was to be read as part of services across the Diocese of Michigan.

"Over the course of my eight years as your bishop in the Diocese of Michigan, I have heard
a number of concerns about the location of the Episcopal Church Center and the
challenge many Episcopalians face who live and work in and around Lansing, Jackson and
Hillsdale. Even before I arrived, when the diocese divided in 1995, there was serious
discussion about moving the Diocesan Center more to the center of the diocese."

"Shortly after I became your bishop, I opened a western satellite office in Lansing where my
senior staff and I make regular visits. Maintaining some office hours in the Lansing office has helped but has not resolved the issue faced by many people across the diocese who
want and need better access to the resources, staff support and meeting facilities of their
diocese.".....

......"I am confident with a more central administrative center in Plymouth, the Diocese of
Michigan will be better able to equip and empower all corners of our diocese for the
mission and ministry to which we are called."
-----------------------------

Technically they retain the bishop's seat at the Cathedral in Detroit. But to me this seems to be a symbolic gesture. While they may remain active in their urban ministry efforts at the Cathedral, it will be more like a large parish church that has active programs.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 302
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, let's see, stay in the city and watch you parish steadily decline, continually drop programs from the falling donations, continue the death spiral until totally defunct...or move to where your congregation moved and stay open?

Why is anyone surprised and/or angry? Various religions are just brand names. Currently catholics and episcopalian are out of style for the vast majority of Detroiters... they have to go in search of a market for their wares just like any other business.

quote:

Its sad once you realize these folks are talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Imagine that, a religious organization being hypocritical. Who would of thought?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detourdetroit, You're absolutely right. Jesus only got into trouble when he came back into the city. Jerusalem, in his case. Should have stayed out in the 'burbs

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,
Thanks for the kind words. You should come join us at Sweetest Heart of Mary(Canfield & Russell) and see an old Catholic Church nearly filled. (yea, almost all parishioners live in the burbs)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4385
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been there once, ESR, it's amazing. When I'm in the city I'm normally going to St. Joseph, your fellow culter parish. Keep up the good work over there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.