Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DTE green currents program « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 728
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://money.cnn.com/news/news feeds/articles/prnewswire/CLTH 09824012008-1.htm

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anybody taking part in the Greencurrents Program? They fail to mention how many people are taking part. I have been since August and have barely noticed it on my electric bill.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I signed up for it as soon as it became available. I am 100% green credit. It also came with a $10 starbucks gift card as a thank you.

Hopefully more people will join and it will force DTE to look for more creative energy sources.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 675
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! I got only a $5 Panera card. What a gip. I am also 100% green.

Maybe I am too cynical, but I see this as an scam. Offer a program for green energy, halfheartedly promote it, and then throw your hands up and say "well, we tried but there was no market for it".

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3396
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am on it. They advertise it in every bill. Is that "half heartedly" promoting it?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got 100% and the Starbucks gift card. They were advertising it on WWJ for a while.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just bought 3 blocks which, for my usage, is close to 100%. I think I pay a $7.50 per month premium or something to that effect. I justified it once I installed CFLs in all of our fixtures and saw that alone cut my electric bill from $50 to $35. I figured since I'm saving all of that, why not put a little back for a good cause?

I was more than a little disappointed though when I heard that only a few thousand people had signed up for it. No link, but maybe I got my information wrong.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 678
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am on it. They advertise it in every bill. Is that "half heartedly" promoting it?

Yes.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw this in the news the other day.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi- bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY= /www/story/01-24-2008/00047425 34&EDATE=

I am also 100% on the GreenCurrents program and it barely puts a dent on my monthly electric bill.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's been a couple of recent articles about it. Here's one from the end of 2007:

http://www.metromodemedia.com/ innovationnews/GSgreencurrents 4307.aspx

If I recall correctly, a more recent article mentioned 7500 people have signed-up. Sounds like they're making slow but steady progress.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still, 7500 out of 2.2 million customers. 0.0034% doesn't seem particularly significant.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's actually 0.34%, but the point is still the same. I think they advertise green currents on CNN or MSNBC, but I never really paid attention to the commercial before.

Perhaps I'll sign up tomorrow? We can draw a bigger piece of a well subsidized and growing industry here if we commit to these technologies. My energy bill is tiny anyways. Maybe I'll get $3 at iTunes. Has anybody considered the risks of global wind change? Increased pressure gradients? Tornados? Can Wisconsin steal our wind? just kidding

Novine

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are just the residential customers. DTE is also trying to get commercial users into the program. 7500 isn't a lot but consider that those people are willing to pay extra on the premise that those dollars will go towards developing renewable energy sources. Last time I checked, no one was offering to pay extra so that Edison could build a new nuke plant or coal plant (although if they do, you will surely be paying that bill!)

Cptk
Username: Cptk

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can understand promoting green energy, but why does DTE that has seen increased profits each year want to subsidize going "Green" directly on the backs of its customers? BECAUSE THEY WANT MORE PROFIT!

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speak of the devil, I saw a single windmill blade being transported down I696 today. They are huge! It had to be 50ft long, with a 6ft diameter shank.

I agree Cptk, but why would a company innovate when their product is already profitable and they are the only game in town? I appreciate their efforts (however small) to implement green technologies without a government mandate.

I don't agree with Granholm on much, but I think she is correctly advocating green tech. We will have to pay the upfront and upkeep costs, unfortunately. It is a growing industry and the right thing to do.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Currently going green costs money and when push comes to shove people sure like the environment but the majority aren't willing to pay for it. Thus, 7,500 have signed up and you see similiar dismal rates in other states. Its the great hypocrisy -- 'yeah I love the earth and all, but I don't want to sacrifice anything to help it'.

Novine

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The program is less than a year old and DTE only expected to have 4,000 customers signed up in the first year. It's kind of early to already be writing it off, especially since DTE just signed some contracts with some renewable energy providers. If they didn't think the program had legs, I wouldn't have expected them to take that first step.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.