Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Stroh's Ice Cream Plant - Antietem and Gratiot « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 905
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The place recently closed and the trucks were hauled away. The lights on the outside of the building are still on and there is steam coming from what appears to be the heating system.

Can anyone tell me about the building or the site it is located on? It's an eyesore that I would not mind being replaced, but I would not want this just to have an empty lot. The white elephant out my window is pretty bleak looking without activity on the site.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 398
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I'd read somewhere that they stopped producing ice cream there sometime last year and it had become just a distribution center. This is also the former site of the Goebel's brewery.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 906
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they stopped producing about the time that I moved into The Pavilion last year. They ran trucks out of the facility until about November.

There is a For Sale sign on the building that I just noticed on a walk through the neighborhood. On another note...2 men with hard hats and suits were in one of the empty buildings immediately across the street from the plant! I will just assume that this might be good news!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4976
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The closing of the ice-cream plant was announced some two years ago, wasn't it? Maybe even longer. They probably had some prior commitments to satisfy before closing down for keeps.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm confused. Where does Antietam cross or meet Gratiot?

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right by the Stroh's Ice Cream Plant.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4997
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't the Gratiot bus go on it or cross it going north? It's clearly signed.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 915
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plant is not right at the corner, but that is about the most recognizable intersection...less than 100 yards away.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Antietam meets Gratiot one block east of I-75.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, The number 40 russell Bus goes right by it.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try across from Crains, near Holy Trinity Lutheran Church

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 663
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The developer of the Leland Lofts said that the land was rezoned for residential, but I'm not sure what he meant. It might be that if someone were to tear down the building, they would have to build residential, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe someone else who is smarter and more motivated than me could find the answer or elaborate.

Dieseldog
Username: Dieseldog

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Strohs ice cream plant was bought by Melody Farms in the early 1990s at that time they used both sections of the of the plant the older side is where the ice cream was produced the larger side was the warehouse and hardening room very cold inside -20 in the hardining room and 0 in the warehouse. In 2003 Dean foods bought Melody Farms and Golden Valley. they moved Golden Valley to the Strohs location. They are now known as County Fresh. The plant was sold to the same people who own Ford Field Cant quite remember the name of the holding group. In November the operation was moved out to Canton off Haggerty Rd into the old Spartan Foods cold storage.

Just a guess but because the freezer was ammonia cooled it may be awhile before its torn down due to the hazzardous nature of the refridgeration system

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.