Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Abandoned building identification « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lady at work today said she saw a boarded up building that she believed was a hotel and looked to be very freshly boarded. She wasn't interested in buying it but mentioned that it would be interesting to know what it would cost to fix it up.
I told her I knew the exact source to go to to find out what it was, if nothing else.
Its reportedly on 94 between Connor and Chalmers

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I think she's talking about The Travel Inn (Conner and Harper)?

I believe it was a feeder hotel for City Airport if I recall.

(Message edited by detroitrise on January 29, 2008)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 704
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to pass this all the time if it's the one i'm thinking of. always seemed like a hoe-bag (literally) kind of place. gross. sad that it's boarded, though...

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That used to be a Holiday Inn back in the 70's. It's right off the freeway. What is that old auto factory just north of there, on Connor, with the offices on the front lawn, before you get to the airport?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That used to be a Holiday Inn back in the 70's. It's right off the freeway. What is that old auto factory just north of there, on Connor, with the offices on the front lawn, before you get to the airport?"

Which one?

The blue building was the Henry Smith Retard Home.

The other (Ivan Dovenspike), I'm not sure.

Then there's the Technology/Chemical Plant PVS on Harper.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a 2 story apt. right across the freeway from Chandler Park Golf Course, that is freshly tagged, but has been boarded up for a few months. Then there is the hotel that is on the corner of harper/94/connor, not sure if that is still open?

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Henry Smith Retard Home

Was that the actual name of it?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Was that the actual name of it?"

More or less. It said as a byline "The Home For the Retard" or something like that then Henry L. Smith in big letter under it.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 913
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm quite sure that it didn't say "Home For The Retard." The building used to have a big clock in front of it that said WCAR, which I am guessing stood for Wayne County Association for the Retarded." I think Detroitrise is confusing the building with the Home of the Whopper down the street.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3571
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is thinking of the 2-story Cabana Motel on the service drive, not the former Holiday Inn.

I didn't know the blue building was a home for the retarded. It was, at one time, the Henry Smith Marine Supply Company.

(Message edited by MikeM on January 31, 2008)

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some co-workers and I went over to the new Eph McNalley's for lunch today (great by the way), and some people were wondering what was going on with the building next door on the right. (Vinton I believe). I know there as been mention of a rehab, but the place looked untouched from when I saw it last. Is that renovation still going to happen? Seems like a pretty sweet building in a great location.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure it's still being rehabbed. Work trucks parked outside most every day.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.