Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Conner, Connor, or Connors? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, which of these names do you prefer for your "historic" (I use the term lightly as it does have some history) east side drag for recreation, airport access, retail, work, etc.

I know there's an awful lot of history behind the name of it, including the Pumping Station. Would some of you mind sharing that history on this thread?

For example, at the Mack Service Drive and Conner intersection, the sign reads Connors, and at the pumping station, it's spelled Connor. However, along the street, it's spelled out as Conner.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer the original French connertation:

Conaire

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, more history than I thought.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah. There is a TON of history behind it.

It has also been connerjugated to mean:

Connaitre- meaning "To pump water" in French.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 908
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortgageking, that is also a great movie!

sorry, I just couldnt resist! lol

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4500
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortgageking hits it out of the park. Kudos.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there also a Connor Creek that is now in a pipe underground?

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a pipe underground? Connors creek has been filled in and paved over. On what planet do some of you live?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The planet where Connors Creek is in a pipe underground, as evidenced by the "hump" on the streets in Grosse Pointe and I-94 coming out of the "ditch."

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

connor

Goblue

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks East_detroit...streams and creeks have to go somewhere, there's no such thing as "filled in and paved over". Gotta wonder what Eastsiderules studied in the fourth grade.

Do you have any idea where Connors Creek empties into the river...or lake?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3572
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conner Creek was "put in pipe" around 1927. The pipe runs from near Eight Mile down to the pumping station and varies in diameter between 8 and 24 feet. It empties into its old channel at the new CSO facility at Freud and Clairpointe.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Conner is named after one of the early settlers in Detroit. I don't think it has anything to do with French words (unless Conner is a French name?). Especially because it is possessive (Conner's Creek, not Conner Creek). There is a post about Conner's Creek in the HOF side of this forum.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6242
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsiderules, for a newbie, your gaffe is understandable... albeit somewhat cocky...

But maybe you better do some homework and go thru some of the DetroitYES archival threads that discuss the many rivers and creeks around Detroit that discuss the conversion from open air brooks and drains such as the Milk River, the Chapoton drain, and Connors Creek.

For many years many of us eastsiders were under the impression that where I-94 raises to street level at the Chandler Park Golf Course that Connors Creek runs underneath it... only to be corrected that that creek is located farther west of Conner, and has pumping stations on either side of I-94 to raise and lower the water within the creeks pipeworks. This is repeated over and over again throughout the city and inner ring suburbs with sunken freeways, another example being the Chapoton drain just north of Vernier & I-94.

There are also many old maps posted on this forum that show the locations of such drains before the covering of these watering holes via pipelines and water pumping stations.

(Message edited by Gistok on January 31, 2008)

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conner

Umtim
Username: Umtim

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nicely done Gistok.

Goblue

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well stated Gistok...thanks for the additional information.

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remembering from my school days, the verb "connatire" means to know someone. Where'd "pumping water" come from?

Silas
Username: Silas

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conner Creek

Mikem posted this 1910 map on 09/16/2006 that shows where conner creek was at that time.

Found this Sanborn map from 1910 showing the defunct Grosse Pointe Race Track, labeled as the Detroit Racing Association. I think the size and loction of the track are approximate. I 've heard someone say the entrance was at Lenox Street and another at Algonquin, which I think is more accurate. Also, the initial stretch of Algonquin off of Jefferson has a small median - maybe what's left of the double arches?

(Message edited by silas on January 31, 2008)

(Message edited by silas on January 31, 2008)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 975
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We always called it "Conners Crick" (rhymes with brick), as in: "Mikem got drunk and fell into Conners Crick".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.