Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Blue license plates « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone else noticed vehicles around town that still have the old Superior blue license plates? Are these people stubbornly refusing to change over to the new plates? I saw a van today sporting the old blue plates with an October 2007 expiration tag! Makes me think he probably didn't have insurance either.

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that will be easy for police to spot.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just changed mine over last month. I miss the blue plate.

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, some of the people with birthdays in the early months got tags for the old plates last year. They will be getting the new ones soon enough.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats ironic you posted this today haha, I was stuck behind one just this afternoon getting off 94 @ outer drive - blue plate / july 07 sticker still hanging on! you stay classy, outer driver...

(Message edited by monahan568 on January 30, 2008)

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get why Michigan had to waste state tax money on these new plates. I always liked the Blue ones.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

july 07!?
Good thing we can be sure that their insurance is not out of date!
i agree, replacing them all at once was an unnecessary expense. i did read that the process for making the white reflective Paint on the blue ones was not safe, the main reason for the change. The new plates have a reflective film that is applied, not a paint, no nasty fumes i believe.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Old Blue plate has had a good run in Michigan but it is time to move to a design that uses modern technology and improves visibility," said Land. "This change will also allow the state to use the same type of material for all of its license plates, which makes production more efficient."

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0, 1607,7-127-1640_9150-143455--, 00.html

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I got my blue plate when they first came out,1982, it was time for a change.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know if the WAB still gives a free pint in exchange for a blue plate??

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why would you give someone your old plate?!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3696
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when the Secretary of State's office would change the plates nearly every year, along with the colors. The mustard-colored 1970 plate (with white lettering) had to be the worst!

Here's an interesting site about license plates:

http://www.licenseplates.cc/

Yes, people collect license plates!

I don't foresee a long life for the new standard white plates... white gets discolored so easily. Witness some of the older "World's Motor Capital" plates that are still being used -- they're barely readable.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"does anyone know if the WAB still gives a free pint in exchange for a blue plate??"

As far as I know they are. I enjoyed two complimentary pints when I switched the plates on my trucks.

Commodore64
Username: Commodore64

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I miss my old blue plates. The argument that the white plates are easier it read is BS. When the new and old styles were still on the road, I just couldn't see what the fuss was about. If anything, the old Blue/Whites were EASIER to read at night. They did change the font on the plates a few years ago, perhaps that was the issue.

It was a giant waste of money. They could have allowed the blue/whites to be renewed but not transferable or bought new. It would saved a few bucks doing it that way.

My Neighbor has an expired blue/white from APRIL.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

weren't the different color plates in the seventies representative of the colors of the state schools? [plus the bicentennial.]

Fury13

Post Number: 3698
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.worldlicenceplates. com/usa/US_MIXX.html

Standard-issue Michigan plates of the '70s to now.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"why would you give someone your old plate? For a free Pint of course! Thats more than I could get at the scrap yard

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2619
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My old blue plate is sitting in a box. I think I might frame it.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm; based on that website it looks like my theory applies to the 60's and maybe a little before...

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any of you notice that the newer white plates are rusting around the letters. On some plates I'm behind, I can hardly read the letters as they are rusted together like.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the state should consider allowing corporate advertising on non-personalized license plates, as a means of raising revenue, below the alpha-numeric IDs and make the plates out of hard plastic, instead of metal.

I remember some dealerships including plate brackets with their name on it. and some went even further than that, putting their name on a decal or worse, hard plastic lettering somewhere on the rear of the vehicle.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2633
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the life of me, I never could figure out why someone would keep a license plate frame on his car that advertised a dealership. If the dealership wants to pay me fifty bucks a month to advertise his business, well, then, okay. Otherwise, stick your frame up your tailpipe.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dealerships were likely counting on people being too lazy to remove them, I just tossed 'em asap. The decals placed on painted areas of the rear of a vehicle, esp the metallic ones, were a bit more difficult to remove, though.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4874
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who asked why somebody would want an old license plate, the WAB makes their menus out of old license plates.

Ray, I'm with you! Free advertising, blah!

I feel the same way about T-shirts with a Nike logo or whatever on it. F that, I'm not buying it. You pay me if you want me to be a billboard.

Fury13

Post Number: 3708
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you on that, Johnlodge.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2634
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I feel the same way about T-shirts with a Nike logo or whatever on it. F that, I'm not buying it"

Agree, although I'm proud to wear my Red Wings sweatshirts out here in Vegas, Johnlodge. :-)

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My car is a 2005, and I was issued a blue plate. ..I just got it exchanged for my Washington State plates since I moved to Seattle.

I didn't realize my blue plates were out of style!
I thought the other ones were specialty plates where you pay extra!
LOL

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4876
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Agree, although I'm proud to wear my Red Wings sweatshirts out here in Vegas, Johnlodge.

Well hey, Ray, when you choose to personally endorse a superior product, it's understandable.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 354
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tennessee and Kentucky change theirs every 3 or 4 years and they are much nicer than ours. Pretty naturescapes.Immediatly, when the original bridge plate came out, I bought one because I liked having a scenic plate. If we're going to pay for a plate on our cars, might as well make it nice to look at. We're catching up.Florida has, like 15 different designs, and many look pretty cool.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thing about the new plates and some of the old blue plates. Why the change from 3 letters and 3 numbers to 3 letters and 4 numbers??
And why do they all start with the letter B?? Don't recall reading about the change anywhere or hearing about it. Just because there are more vehicles on the road now??

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quoting Norwalk..."does anyone know if the WAB still gives a free pint in exchange for a blue plate??"

OK, what and where is this WAB? I've quite a few old blue plates lying around and I'm in the mood for a beer.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2388
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"why Michigan had to waste state tax money on these new plates."

Look in the center of your new plate. That implanted holographic identifier is the reason for the change.

Fury13

Post Number: 3734
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thing about the new plates and some of the old blue plates. Why the change from 3 letters and 3 numbers to 3 letters and 4 numbers??

They probably wanted added numbering capacity, for a potential increase in the number of cars on the road in the future, and wanted to stay with the same format (3 letters/4 numbers) for a long time. The switch to the 3/4 format from the 3/3 format occurred during the blue plate run, in 2005, I believe.

And why do they all start with the letter B??

Because the last series of blue plates started with A (with the 3/4 format). With the new white plate, the sequence started with BAA 0000. I suppose the white plates could have started with AJX 2000, since the highest-numbered blue plate produced was AJX 1999, but evidently the Secretary of State's office decided to jump to the B's.

More than you ever wanted to know about Michigan license plates:
http://www.licenseplates.cc/hi ghs/?where=Michigan

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A stronger candidate for waste of tax dollars is the gradual replacement of ALL highway signs on state highways (except for route shields). No matter how new the signs are, they're all coming down, replaced by ones with a new font. "Clearview" is supposed to be easier to read, and I'll grudgingly admit it is, a bit. But come on. Anybody who has difficulty reading the old font probably has no business driving.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard somewhere that the state had to replace the plates because the process use to make the reflective paint is now obsolete.

The White plates with the blue "Michigan" stripe are weak. The "spectacular peninsula" plates remind me too much of the New York plates.

If Michigan is still home to the "Motor City" its too bad the state be on the cutting edge with this stuff.

The last really unique plate design to come out of Michigan was the Bicentennial plate.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My "great lakes splendor" plate had to be retired after a cop pulled me over for it. The coating peeled so badly around the lettering it became too difficult to read. I've noticed this problem on those plates.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will the state replace those peeling plates for free?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2389
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"replaced by ones with a new font."

Clearview is not a new sign font, it is only new to Michigan signage.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 691
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Any of you notice that the newer white plates are rusting around the letters. On some plates I'm behind, I can hardly read the letters as they are rusted together like."

I noticed that as well. My plate is less than 6 months old and it's rusted all the way around the edges. The bad part is that rust leads to more rust and after time it will spread to the steel on the car.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In terms of highway signage, Clearview is a relative newcomer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08 /12/magazine/12fonts-t.html

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4397
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding highway signage, there was a recent story about mileage markers. They're planning to plant highway mileage markers at every tenth of a mile instead of every mile across the country. In this age of GPS that seems suspiciously unnecessary.

Imagine how lucrative the contract would be to boost mileage sign production ten-fold!

qui bono?

Ray1936

Post Number: 2642
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"at every tenth of a mile instead of every mile"

Not quite, Jim. The new markers will be at every 2/10ths of a mile. They're already in place in a number of locations, and I think it's a good thing.

Mile 240 will be followed by 240.2, 240.4, 240.6, 240.8, and 241. No odd tenths.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4399
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, Ray1936, I'll accept that on faith. However the question about necessity still stands in this day of GPS.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Will the state replace those peeling plates for free?

I doubt it.

Anyone know for sure? There are a lot of rusty plates out there.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your license plate was lost or stolen, you can obtain a replacement license plate at a Secretary of State Branch Office. Bring your registration or the license plate number of the lost or stolen plate. A replacement license plate with a new year tab will be issued for $5, along with a new registration.

A license plate can only be replaced by the vehicle owner, by a member of the owner's family living at the same address, or by a representative of the owner with an Appointment of Agent form completed by the vehicle owner. (If only the year tab was lost or stolen, it can also be replaced in the same manner. In this case, a new license plate will not be issued.)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11446
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of broken plastic booties that were supposed to make our light poles look better, too.

Government never pays for governmental mistakes, we do!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are the government.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The system's not quite ready for a GPS-only solution.

For one, the mile marker signs act as confidence markers for motorists looking for exits.

On the other hand, the signs are used to pinpoint and clear crashes/breakdowns/congestion, etc. Having mile markers at a finer grain will help pinpoint the locations.

An important consideration, under ideal conditions, GPS is accurate to within ~100 feet, which can put you on the wrong side of the freeway. Add in below grade freeways (a la the Lodge, I-696), the accuracy degrades or is nonexistant. Same for other GPS dead spots, cell dead spots, bridges, etc., therefore you have areas that GPS just won't work.

Another factor, the various legacy systems that police, fire, ems, hazmat, etc. have don't always interconnect nicely.

As for the Clearview font--it has been used in Michigan since at least 2004. There was a demonstration project comparing the new and old signs for a conference held at the Ren Cen that year.
http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0 ,1607,7-151-9621_11041_32687-9 9977--,00.html

(Message edited by Ro_resident on January 31, 2008)

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13,

Thanks for the info on the plates letter/number changes. I figured it was just because of the increase in vehicles on the road now.

msamslex

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765 wrote, "Clearview is not a new sign font, it is only new to Michigan signage."

Um, that's what I meant with my post. New compared with the old font. I thought I was being pretty clear.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 362
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually took my old blue plate (first one I've ever had and have had it since 9/01) and ended up linking another blue plate and a Wisonsin plate together using some sort of U-bolts. Mounted the top one on the wall and it makes for an interesting piece.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 968
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnnny5, some of our plates are steel, and others are aluminum. I guess it depends on
which prison they were stamped at. In Detroit, plates are optional, just like auto insurance is. A home made paper plate (temp license plate) might be necessary to ward off cops for Detroiters traveling in the burbs, though. But as long as a body isn’t falling out of the trunk or you’re not speeding on the side walk, the DPD aren’t going to bother you.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 899
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was also "tacky" that some automobile dealership advertisements were placed on the paint of the vehicles, typically around the trunk area.

Proudly displayed the 1976 red, white, and blue bicentennial plate on my first car in 1976. Still have several mid 80s MI blue plates out in the garage. Wear Tigers or UofM gear on weekends. Strangers often inquire and sometimes they are fellow Detroit or Michigan natives.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rusting/flaking problem with the newer MI plates is not an isolated problem. Way'cross the river in Ontario the newest series of plates is suffering the same fate--the paint flakes/rusts in the area of the embossing, generally making the characters completely unreadable.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 433
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a "Winter Water Wonderland" from the mid-'60s off my Great Uncle's Lincoln(?) with "suicide doors".

JRV000 & JRV100 (my initials) Bicentennial plates. A personalized NMU plate (NMAU, say it again... enema U!).

Currently I have a Mackinaw Bridge plate on my truck and a "Forest & City" plate on my convertible. And a permanent trailer on my boat.

I've seen a lot of rusted/unreadable plates. I've yet to have one.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 583
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny this came up. I just saw one yesterday for the first time in a long time driving on 94 through downtown. I was thinking also that it's easy to spot by the authorities.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.