Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Blazos Restaurant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ocmobilexec
Username: Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the old Blazos? When I was a little kid, my grandmother used to take me to the one on Mack and 7 Mile road in Grosse Pointe. Anyone remember the place or maybe have any pictures?

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the one on 8 mile and Schaefer , building is still there . Great pies , pretty waitresses

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was alot of history to Blazo's.
The owner used to be an Elias Brothers franchisee. They baked their own pies, etc and became an unofficial 'comissary' for their friends with other franchises.
Elias Brothers cracked down, so Blazo's went independant.And Elias Brothers made sure to open new restaurants as close as possible to the Blazo's. A quiet 'war'. I worked at the 'drive-in' Michigan/Miller early 70's.
Irony about the 8 Mile/Coolidge location- it was a failed HoJo, then Blazo's, then it became a Big Boy!(for a few years)
The East side location mentioned- I'm not sure if that was the one, but one of the Blazo's on the E. side was firebombed during the Blazo's-BigBoy 'war'.
No Blazo's left that I know of. Last locations were a 'new concept' place by Ford Rd/Teleraph area, and converted IHOP's Wayne Road and in Hartland. That Wayne Rd place closed in the last 10 years as I recall.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 697
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ocmobilexec - I remember going to the one at 7 and Mack. Went a few times with friends. Geesh, had not thought about that place in many years.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a Blazos on Maple Road just west of Crooks in Troy.

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the Blazo's in Grosse Pointe burn down in the 70's? If so.. kind of ironic, huh?

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Dun & Bradstreet:
http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnb company_hccv9t

Blazo's Pie Company
30976 Industrial Rd, Livonia, MI 48150-2024, United States
Phone: (734) 422-0414
SIC:Groceries and Related Products, NEC
Line of Business:Whol Groceries
Detailed Blazo's Pie Company Company Profile
This company profile is for the private company Blazo's Pie Company, located in Livonia, MI. Blazo's Pie Company's line of business is whol groceries.

Company Profile: Blazo's Pie Company
Year Started:1969
State of Incorporation:N/A
URL:N/A
Location Type:Single Location
Stock Symbol:N/A
Stock Exchange:N/A
Also Does Business As:N/A
NAICS:N/A
SIC #Code:5149
Est. Annual Sales:$170,000
Est. Employees:2
Est. Employees at Location:2
Contact Name:Larry Nygard
Contact Title:President

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne Rd north of Cherry Hill, Westland.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 549
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was on Ford Road between Inkster and Beech Daley in a strip wall where the Drive In used to be. I remember the pies too.

Lafontaine
Username: Lafontaine

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the 60s, my mom took us to the Mack Ave. Blazo's. I loved that place. Right next to the Woods Theatre.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Blazo's on Mack in Grosse Pointe Woods was torn down in the early '80's. Part of the foundation was incorporated into the AAA office that is now on that spot. When I was in high school (late '60's) Blazo's was a favorite gathering spot after football games and dances.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6234
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was where I smoked my first cigarette. I am glad I hated to smoke. Never got hooked. Blazos was known for the pies. My friend Donna liked some guy who hung out there, so we woud go there just so she could look at him!! No stalking laws in those days, 1971 and 1972. Mack and 7 mile was where it was.

Gpcharles
Username: Gpcharles

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my high school years in the late 60s early 70s at nearby Austin, the GP Woods Blazo's was known as "Dine and Dash." The bathrooms were in the basement and the staircase was beyond the cash register and closer to the front door.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3568
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Blazo's memories here:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/91953.html

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a pic of the menu I have from there.
Blazo's Menu Front

Blao's Menu Back

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one on Trenton Rd. in Southgate, just
south of Eureka. Very popular with the people from
my high school. I never went in there very much
for some reason.

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one in Dearborn on Michigan Ave. and Miller. Used to hang out there when I was 11 with my friend, because her sister worked there. Best pies!

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work in the kitchen at the Blazos in Dearborn.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there a Blazos on Gratiot and 11 Mile years ago?

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, there was never a Blazos on Gratiot and 11 mile. That was calle Suzie Q. That sign was there for many years.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think National Coney Island restored the sign.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6246
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus posted this photo of that former Susie-Q sign (now National Coney Island) at 11 Mile (I-696) & Gratiot, by describing how similar it looks to the new towers for the Monroe Block development.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.