Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Condo, loft sales surge in Detroit as prices fall « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

December purchases up 33.9% on previous year

Louis Aguilar / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Tumbling prices for once-pricey
downtown lofts and condos are bringing in a flurry of buyers, providing a surge in December sales not seen since the bygone era of easy mortgage financing.

"I tell most of my clients there is $100,000 wiggle room on certain units right now," said Sabra Sanzotta, owner of the Loft Warehouse realty agency, which specializes in downtown properties. With that bargaining leverage, Sanzotta sold six high-end units in the past month, including a downtown penthouse for $200,000. Original price: $511,000. It was her best month of sales since 2003, Sanzotta said.

Seven downtown Realtors say they enjoyed one of their best months in December and see that trend continuing into the new year. Data suggests downtown is one of the few places in Metro Detroit where buyers are jumping on bargain real estate created by the national housing meltdown.

Sales of houses and condominiums in Detroit jumped by a 33.9 percent in December, compared with the same month in 2006. No other market in the Metro Detroit area came close to that kind of increase, according to RealComp II Ltd., a real estate data company. It was the biggest month-to-month increase in Metro Detroit all year.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080130/BIZ/8 01300350

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder has the developers for The Griswold looked into this?

I see they put up the bottom corner of the building already.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wonder has the developers for The Griswold looked into this?"

Looked into what? Selling an expensive product at a significant loss?

This is exactly the type of news that caused the developers to come to their senses and leave The Griswold in the dustbin.

Developers aren't working to fill buildings by "any means necessary." They are in the business to make money.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2931
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder has the developers for The Griswold looked into this?

The developer still needs to make a profit. At the $125 per square foot the people in the article were paying, the developer would have trouble covering the construction costs. Why would a developer take on the risk of building, if they couldn't make a reasonable profit?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3374
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wonder has the developers for The Griswold looked into this?"

Didn't you read? They're selling, but at rock bottom prices.

You can bet your ass the Griswold developers are counting their lucky stars right now that they didn't go through with their project...

This is also bad news for the prospects for any potential builds or renovations in the near future...

the key thing that made all the projects in the past 5 years possible is that mortgage companies were giving more money to people than they should have and approving people for loans they should not have...now all of that's over with

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11304
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the key thing that made all the projects in the past 5 years possible is that mortgage companies were giving more money to people than they should have and approving people for loans they should not have...now all of that's over with

Do you have numbers to support the claims that downtown residents have higher rates of sub-prime or ARM type loans compared to thier suburban counterparts?

Many downtown developments were simply overpriced (200/sq ft for white box). The reduced prices are a matter of initial overpricing (some developers expected Chicago prices in Detroit), some has to dow with the economy and some have to do with the downturn in housing value.

It certainly is not a Detroit or downtown phenomenon. What I wonder is what the $500,000 unit was in terms of location, sq. ft, ameneties. If they showed that I am sure that the reasonable price for it would have been initially way below $500K.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7096
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Developers have to know that if the ecomony is slowing down. The housing marker is slowing down to. So the answer to this problem? Sell the real estate in a lower prices. You all may not make enough profits but you all have gain some customers.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do you have numbers to support the claims that downtown residents have higher rates of sub-prime or ARM type loans compared to thier suburban counterparts?"

I'm not asserting that...it's not part of my point (although I wouldn't be shocked if that were the case, but it's not relevant to this discussion)

The crisis in the mortgage industry was a universal phenomenon...

this discussion (and the article), however, are about downtown Detroit

Not everything in life is downtown Detroit v. Detroit suburbs...

(Message edited by thejesus on January 30, 2008)

Jt1

Post Number: 11305
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Take the Wayne State University-area loft being bought by Valerio della Porta and Monique Horton, a couple now renting downtown. They're buying the stylish 1,300-square-foot unit with huge windows, hardwood floors and granite countertops for $163,000, reduced from a starting price of $230,000. Besides the $67,000 discount, the seller also agreed to pay the couple's closing costs and a portion of the down payment.

The example from the article. The original asking price for a Condo on Cass was $177 per square foot. While they mention hw and granite it is pretty obvious from the picture of the kitchen that it is not all upgraded.

$177/ sq. ft for a home on Cass is not a reasonable price. Their final purchase price worked out to $125/sq foot, much more reasonable given the location and real estate market. $125/sq ft is probably more expensive than many, many suburbs.

Sometimes a few numbers like $500K do not paint the entire picture.

(Message edited by jt1 on January 30, 2008)

Jt1

Post Number: 11306
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Do you have numbers to support the claims that downtown residents have higher rates of sub-prime or ARM type loans compared to thier suburban counterparts?"

I'm not asserting that...it's not part of my point (although I wouldn't be shocked if that were the case, but it's not relevant to this discussion)

The crisis in the mortgage industry was a universal phenomenon...

this discussion (and the article), however, are about downtown Detroit

Agreed. I believe that the paper is running a series on this over the week. Monday's was about developments that stopped in Auburn Hills and the surrounding areas and the early buyers that are dealing with it.

My frustration lies partially with the developers. They certainly should make a profit but the amounts that they are charging for many of these projects look like they are comp'ed with cities whose downtown (and entire city) are much further along than Detroit. The only way for some of the areas in or around downtown to improve are for buyers to have opportunity to make money. When developers are asking 200K for 875 sq ft. lofts the opportunity is not there as an investment.

I don't know what the profit margins are on these developments but I suspect that the prices charged are rarely in line with what the market actually dictates. That alone is keeping people out and slowing down progress.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 796
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been saying that the housing market is dead downtown.....I stand corrected after reading this article! Great news!

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is good for the long term. Getting more people into these empty units should help local businesses and free up rental space for more people looking to test out the downtown area. In theory this will create a bit more vibrancy and make the area more attractive for more development further down the road.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why all the doom and gloom? This is good news in the short term considering the fact that there is big demand downtown. Houses in Bloomfield Hills are marked down 10-50k, plenty of which are being bought, does that mean there will be no houses built there in the next few years? I guess I don't understand your logic? Its time for people to get there act together and help do what it takes to make downtown more viable, this in my opinion is the biggest problem because buyers are thinking about this way to much and the downtown cant seal the deal when the "warm and fuzzy" feeling is going on due to lack of substance IMO.
BTW Went to Cincinnati yesterday and spent the day downtown and walked away very impressed, there are a ton of old storefronts(mostly occupied)littered throughout there downtown.

(Message edited by Dbest on January 31, 2008)

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By far the smartest strategy to take in these difficult times, Quite frankly the prices being charged on these units are more in line with what should have been in the beginning.. We are not inline by any means with cities like chicago, toronto, or even baltimore for that matter. Sell what the market will bear,,establish a viable community and in time the values will take care of themselves.. Its seems there are enough people who are willing to pay reasonable prices now,,,this is definetly encouraging.

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only problem with that theory is that developers pay the same amount for building materials/construction labor/permits/utilities ... as developers in those cities mentioned detroitbill. Yes the land may be cheaper but not always enough to offset the cost.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone on here probably has the expertise to answer this:

What is the difference in a developer's profit margin on a for sale rehabbed condo over making the property a rental for five years or something before going condo like the Lofts at Merchant's Row (is doing in the future?)?

It seems to me that you'd make a nominal sum over the first few years to recoup some construction costs, then selling out at a lower price than would have been originally necessary had you flipped it right away. Granted, it's not the quick buck you'd get otherwise, but let's face it- it's not like new construction is blowing up right now. Longer term profits sound a lot better than going under idle.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 855
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm confused: so sales of condos are up, but condo projects are failing because of not enough buyers?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7100
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Detroit development news:

The first corners of the concrete walls are put in place for the parking structure for the proposed Griswold Condos. Even through they scrapped the condo project.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4998
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm confused: so sales of condos are up, but condo projects are failing because of not enough buyers?

What's so hard to believe. Developers (initially, at least) invest in projects in order to make profits. However, they are often heavily leveraged with debt that they cannot hang onto losing projects because of debt service (and property taxes) and their short-term notes becoming due. Therefore, they liquidate their unsold inventories so not to go broke. The same will eventually occur for those residential home-owners who haven't been able to sell their houses the past few years.

The same occurred during the early 1980s in Detroit and Michigan as a result of the severe recession resulting from the Carter years. A high percentage of new home-owners simply walked away from their homes because the unpaid principal of their mortgages far surpassed their market value.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The same occurred during the early 1980s in Detroit and Michigan as a result of the severe recession resulting from the Carter years."

Actually, the recession was due to the various actions of the OPEC oil cartel, including embargos and prices increases which cut car sales. But please, continue on, don't concern yourself with the truth.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) I don't think there is any serious dispute that the early 80's recession was caused by the Federal Reserve under Paul Volcker raising rates sharply to reduce inflation. There is probably some dispute about what caused that inflation, but the main theory seems to be that during the 70's the Fed had allowed inflation to rise far too much, partly in response to increasing energy prices, and it got out of hand. I don't think there is any real way to blame Carter for that--inflation started rising under Johnson, and actually peaked under Nixon/Ford. Carter appointed Volcker, so I guess you could blame him in that sense, but Volcker didn't really have much alternative.

2) I'm no accountant, but traditionally, if you build/renovate a building and rent it at first, you can depreciate it, so that some/all of your rental income turns into capital gains when you sell. Sometimes that means you just sell the whole building when the depreciation runs out (the next owner can start over again), or you can sell it as condos.

I don't know if this works differently with projects that use weird tax-subsidized financing to start with.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5001
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About the only positive Carter happening back then was their (ICC) benign neglect of all the trucking tariffs dating back to FDR that essentially mandated that returning trucks couldn't pick up and deliver anything because of the millions of individual monopolistic tariffs. Ditto, for the states with their own version of the tariffs.

[I get a kick out of those on DY who bend simple historical facts to their ends.] Carter didn't do much of anything until near the end of his first (and only) term. By then, it was too late for the country, and him because too many voters wouldn't reelect him.

So, at almost any given time before, most trucks were empty half the time. The effects of Carter's non-enforcement of those trucking tariffs continues to this day because they were abolished--some forty years long overdue then.

Unfortunately, Carter (following the leads of Nixon and Ford) didn't accomplish much else but stagflation.

quote:

TARIFFS: DO THEY MEAN ANYTHING?
by James A. Calderwood,* Esquire

published in Logistics Today, December 2005

Shipper: “Hey Mr. Motor Carrier, you can’t charge me this extra amount!”

Motor Carrier: “Yes we can, it’s in our tariff.”

Shipper: “In that case I guess I better pay.”

Does the shipper have to pay simply because a charge for a specified service is designated in a motor carrier’s tariff? The answer in most situations is “no”.

Many in the logistics industry use the term “tariff” without really being sure of its meaning.

“Tariffs” ruled surface transportation for practically a century. Carriers could only charge amounts stated in their tariffs. Tariffs had to be filed with the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) and were subject to review and modification by that agency. This often happened as proposed rate increases could result in lengthy proceedings in the ICC with shippers and truckers dueling it out with economic studies, cost justifications and traffic diversion graphs. Shippers often wondered why a motor carrier willing to give them a lower rate would be prevented from doing so by the government. If a motor carrier charged less than its filed tariff (sometimes through rebate schemes) they could end up in jail. ICC investigators would prowl the transportation industry looking for tariff miscreants.

These ICC filed and approved tariffs were often very complicated to understand and were filled with exemptions and modifications. Some people spent their entire working careers interpreting and defining tariff provisions. A good rate clerk who could spot tariff loopholes might have saved a shipper a small fortune.

Today the legal situation relating to the word “tariff” has greatly changed. This is why the shipper probably may not have to pay the motor carrier for a special tariff charge. For most motor carrier charges today the word “tariff” has no legal meaning or enforceable impact. With the statutory changes over the years the only motor carrier tariff requirements existing now are for household goods movements and something called “noncontiguous domestic trade”, meaning shipments that go between the mainland and places such as Hawaii or Puerto Rico. The Shipping Act still requires certain ocean carrier consolidators (non-vessel operating common carriers) and ocean carriers to have tariffs, but these entities may also contract with shippers outside the tariff system.

So, why even discuss tariffs in a motor carrier context? The reason is because the word “tariff” is so engrained in transportation that it is often used to refer to charges for shipments. Many logistics professional still think that “tariffs” are filed with and approved by some government agency and therefore have to be obeyed.

A good example comes from a recent federal court decision in Michigan. Central Transport, a motor carrier, brought an action against a shipper, Sterling Seating, for allegedly not paying the full amount of the charges billed by Central Transport. Central Transport brought the case in a Michigan state court. Sterling moved it into the federal court on the basis of an allegation by Central Transport that pursuant to a section of the ICC Termination Act, Central had a tariff item stating that shippers were liable for all collection expenses including attorneys fees.

The court examined the issue and concluded that the so-called tariff was more a term of art then a legal requirement. It found that federal law no longer mandated motor carrier tariffs in this area of transportation and such things are not filed with any agency. Therefore, the court reasoned, there was no federally required tariff in issue.

So then what governs the terms of the motor carrier – shipper deal? According to the court, it is state contract law and Central Transport and Sterling will have to look to its contract to see what payments are required.

This could be a real problem in a number of motor carrier–shipper arrangements. The “contract” may consist of only a bare bones bill of lading (and they are no longer standard) or merely a routing document. Some motor carriers attempt to incorporate their “tariff” into a bill of lading meaning that the shipper accepts all the terms of the motor carrier’s standard statement of carriage even though the shipper has never seen it. Assuming that the shipper has access to these standard terms for review, such as via the internet, they may well be considered a part of the contract of carriage. However, there is at least one recent federal court decision that places some doubt on that.

The best way to avoid this mess (and litigation) is to have a written contract between the motor carrier and the shipper indicating all of the essential terms. Unless you deal with household goods or offshore domestic commerce there simply are no longer any enforceable motor carrier tariffs.

*Mr. Calderwood is a partner with the law firm of Zuckert, Scoutt & Rasenberger, L.L.P., in Washington, D.C., where he concentrates in transportation matters. Mr. Calderwood can be reached at jacalderwood@ZSRLAW.COM. This column is designed to provide information of general interest. It cannot substitute for in-depth legal analysis of particular problems. Readers are urged to seek counsel concerning individual situations.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, condo sales are up because of Carter's non-enforcement of trucking tariffs? Who knew?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5002
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup! Carter did good there! But you knew that...

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The only problem with that theory is that developers pay the same amount for building materials/construction labor/permits/utilities ... as developers in those cities mentioned detroitbill. Yes the land may be cheaper but not always enough to offset the cost.

This sounds like it should be true, but it's not.

Case in point: A few years back I bid a project for the GM plant in North Tarrytown NY (when it was still open). Since I didn't know any companies in the area, I got five electrical bids for work that I know would've run me 120,000.00 to 140,000.00 in the Detroit area.

The result? All five companies were within 20,000.00 of each other... at 365,000.00 to 385,000.00.

Connecticut and Boston are in the same price range as New York. I know St Louis is less, but is still about double Detroit's cost. Not sure about the difference with Chicago, but I know it is more there than here. Again I don't know the price difference with California, but I do know that overall labor costs are considerably higher there than Detroit. (I can tell you, also, that Shreveport is noticeably cheaper.)

All labor costs are not the same. The primary difference is not in the rate per hour, but in the kind of production you get from workers. Despite Detroit's reputation as a union town with expensive labor, when it comes to construction our labor force is very productive.

So yes, you can (and do) build cheaper in Detroit.

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 482
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mwilbert/Rugbyman,

Any of the the projects financed in part with national and state historic tax credits (Merchants Row/Kales) have rules that require the projects to remain rentals for at least five years.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew that, I was just curious what that mandate did to the developer's bottom line. That and why my voting Democrat hurts America.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 562
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I'm confused: so sales of condos are up, but condo projects are failing because of not enough buyers?"

there are two markets:

1). Existing units might be cheap and mortgage money is cheap. That should mean a good market.

2). New units might be more expensive to construct/develop/renovate then they could sell for. That means they should be a no go.

There are essentially two markets: new and resale.

This is why there are not much new construction in cities like Detroit - it would cost more to build a new house then it would be expected to sell for.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This is why there are not much new construction in cities like Detroit - it would cost more to build a new house then it would be expected to sell for."

That's interesting - considering Detroit has built more new homes than any other community in Southeastern Michigan since 2006.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.