Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 'That's how you keep it real!' » Archive through January 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our observant detroitblog brother posted 4 evocative images yesterday (1/25), showing "odd things that add up to little glimpses of life in the forgotten parts of Detroit."

"This scene," he writes, "illustrates the all-too common realities out here" [cropped from original]:
x

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who doesn't want a four-O while doing your work?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 531
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How would you like to see that in the street in front of your house? One of the many reasons we moved from Detroit.
It wasn't like the folks didn't have a garage or drive way, they did!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, although, I do think that that is one thing that I considered so great about Detroit when I was there. Everything wasn't refined. The suburbs and their pristine houses and neighborhoods become a bit too sterile. When I moved from Livonia to go to school at the University of Detroit Mercy, that is what I noticed first. While it can be disconcerting, after a while you grow to love it and take it for what it is. Drinking a 40 and working on your car in the street is Detroit and not the suburbs. Sorry.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, interesting. I have no comment (especially after reading the previous ones).

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3370
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like it matters that much if it's a 40 in the city instead of a six pack in the suburbs?

Paulmcall

Post Number: 533
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can find idiots in the city and suburbs but you won't find many people who tolerate having someone work on their car in the street for a week or more in the burbs.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 503
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Working on your car in the street when you have a driveway is kind of an odd thing to do, but in and of itself it doesn't affect my quality of life enough to make me not want to live in a neighborhood where people do it.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's just keeping it real man...just keeping it real. Personally that is one of my favorite things about this city. I grew up in Clinton Township which is about as real as Pam Andersons breasts

14andhayes
Username: 14andhayes

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a point when keeping it real goes wrong...very wrong.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats what i'm talking bout

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4962
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what? Better that they have a safe running vehicle than one that falls apart and hits me. My neighbors fix their cars/trucks on the street sporadically all the time, and I never care.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assuming that this photo is the result of a guy (or a doll) working on HIS vehicle, in front of HIS house, while blorbling down a 40 of cheap suds, I don't see anything objectionable. Maybe just slightly tacky, but barely even that.
This is Detroit. A lot of us are living from paycheck to paycheck. Sometimes we just figure, Ah hell, I'll pop open a 40 and do this job myself.
If this image strikes you as being truly unsightly, you really shouldn't be living in Detroit.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well said ravine

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, you can find plenty of that in the suburbs (Depending on your definition of "suburbs). Thats the south side of Warren right there.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

. . . blorbling down a 40 of cheap suds

And that, Ravine, is keeping language real. Nice.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know what else? The guy has enough faith in his neighborhood to leave his tools and parts unattended for at least a short while.

(and despite what detroitblogger wrote, that's a jackstand in use, pretty safe if set properly, not a flimsy bumper jack that will drop a car on someone)

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look, I don't know the Detroit that had a Hudsons store downtown, I don't know that Detroit of 1.8 million people. I never 'met' the city until the fall of 2001.

To me, drinking a 40 on your front porch is the Detroit that I know. Often I wish that I lived in a city where someone wouldn't give you a second look for doing that. I know that I am a bit cavalier and that most in the suburbs would find it annoying.

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born and raised in the COD. I've worked on many a car in the street (Even did a engine swap in front of the house). Not saying it's the right thing to do, but I'm as guilty as any. When I was old enough to drink, sitting on the porch having a beverage was no big deal.

When I moved to the burbs, I relegated car maintenance to the back yard, but sitting on the porch having a drink still happens. My neighbors, at first, thought I was crazy for sitting out front drinking, but now a lot of them have joined me.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the working on your car part is as old as time itself, Nothing cooler,(depending on the weather). What I would like to know is, where is this homemade busstop? I"m sure that a DDOT one could be put in its place fairly quickly.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgive my ignorance, but if you have a driveway, what is the advantage of working on your car in the street? Do you all know something that I don't, 'cause I just don't get it.

As for the 2:00 PM 40 -- I fully support it. Guzzle on!

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waymooreland - I can only speak for myself but the working on the car in the street was basically so I didn't "Tie Up" the driveway if the work took longer then planned.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, seriously, does anyone know where the homemade busstop is in the above aforementioned thread/link, so we can get those folks a real one from DDOT.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3671
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...working on the car in the street was basically so I didn't 'Tie Up' the driveway if the work took longer then planned."

So, "tie up" the public street and blight the neighborhood instead?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4842
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like that guy is replacing a half-shaft.

Think he took it in for an alignment afterwards, or just used the old string method, and said a prayer before driving each day?

Fury13

Post Number: 3672
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like trash on lawns or sidewalks, clutter in backyards, crudely hand-lettered signs, derelict cars sitting in the front yard or driveway, porch parties, fences that are falling down, NOR cars being worked on in the street. To me, it all smacks of low-class values and disrespect for one's neighbors and community.

If all of that is "keeping it real," give me the surreal or unreal, any day.

Cars should be worked on in the garage, or far back in the driveway.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10060
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and if you don't have a driveway? Who is being elitist?

Fury13

Post Number: 3673
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, please. Then maybe work on the hooptie in the back yard. If there's no driveway, there's probably an alley with backyard/garage access. If you've got an apartment, sorry. Bite the bullet and take the car to a repair shop.

There's nothing wrong with being poor and not having resources. But poor doesn't have to mean dirty or trashy.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 541
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Fury.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10061
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed it doesn't have to be dirty or trashy but donig a brake job in front of a house doesn't mean trashy either. Now if the vehicle sits for days then that is another story.
As for doing it in a back yard, well that is a bit dangerous considering that the jacks could sink into the ground. Another reason is that maybe a person doesn't have access to put a vehicle into a backyard.
In your second paragraph you state there is nothing wrong with being poor and not having resources yet you bemoan the fact that someone is fixing their car on the steet and they should bite the bullet and take the car to a repair shop. So which one is it? Poor with no resources and bring your car in and pay to get it fixed or poor equals trashy?