Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Salt mines in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have an idea of how far the salt mines go in each direction looking down on a map of Det.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4888
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Courtesy of Mikem.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/ ~copyrght/image/solstice/sum99 /salt1.jpg

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4987
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit salt mine
There is salt approximately 1100 feet down in two major seams maybe some 100 feet apart. Only the lower seam is mined. The salt is mined to a thickness of around 22 feet. Much of that salt deposit probably extends to Cleveland.

Pillars of salt (Lot's wife?) are left in place to support the mine. Everything down there has to be cut to size and stuffed down the narrow opening and be reassembled (welded, etc.). Tires can be a problem for the bigger equipment.

The work crews usually are ten miners per shift. The Detroit mine produces salt to melting ice, and it's at an economic disadvantage due to its not being near water for shipping. Windsor and Cleveland's lower costs for shipping hurts the Detroit salt mine.

The manager of the mine gave a slide presentation in Dearborn last March (or was it back in 2006?).

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...economic disadvantage due to its not being near water for shipping

not near water? isn't the mine within sight of the Rouge River?

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

slightly off topic, does anyone know what kind of map the salt mine map was drawn on?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4994
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

not near water? isn't the mine within sight of the Rouge River?

Ships don't move too well on land, getting that 1/2 mile to get from the Rouge to the mine and back. So, to get the salt to the Rouge (or the Detroit) River, the salt must loaded and unloaded by rail or truck. One or two extra movements on a relatively inexpensive commodity. Ergo, the economic disadvantage enters. Versteh?

That's one reason the Detroit mine ceased operations during the 1980s.
quote:

In 1960, the International Salt Company opened a new rock salt mine in Cleveland. It is located exactly on the shore of Lake Erie. This location has both logistical and institutional advantages. They are able to ship salt in bulk by lake carrier at much reduced costs per ton-mile than overland shipments. Cleveland is able to ship salt past Detroit to lake ports in the upper Great Lakes at costs lower than it could be delivered from the Detroit mine. The Detroit mine has shipped by water in the past and is not much more than one-half mile from the turning basin of the River Rouge where they have loading facilities. This half-mile gap must, however, be bridged by trucking and loading costs that exceed the cost of the sixty-eight nautical mile shipment from Cleveland. The Cleveland mine also, by mining out under Lake Erie, leases mineral rights from a single owner, the State of Ohio. This permits a more efficient mine layout. In 1987 the Detroit mine ceased to operate, put out of business in part by its awkward shape. The Detroit Metropolitan area now gets its salt from Cleveland and Windsor, Ontario, where in the later location the mine is of optimal shape and extends out under the Detroit River on the Canadian side. In Canada, mineral rights laws were more favorable to the salt companies.

(Message edited by livernoisyard on January 30, 2008)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

USGS Topographic Quadrangle:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1, 1607,7-153-10371_14793-31264-- ,00.html

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a little known fact that the salt mines are an elaborate cover up for a secret underground Masonic freeway, taking the illuminati from their offices downtown to their homes in the suburbs in less than 15 minutes. They use that "G" symbol on the back of their Cadillac sedans and Lincoln Town cars to identify themselves.

I know it's true, I read it in "Fun" magazine (a local free rag, now extinct) back in '91.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Very cool thread, this is what D-yes is all about.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey 56packman, anychance You would have any more leads on "Fun" magazine, or this article. It sounds too cool. And it was it was an episode of the "Simpsons".

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was the Stonecutters D, and the real number fro 911...is 912

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn Packman! now I have to take the square and compasses off the back of my Zephyr....

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11452
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, that stuff gets you out of tickets.

Say your grandfather is, like, a 32nd degree and some grand puba in his lodge because he sometimes dresses up like a girl for their meetings...and you get your road salt for free for life, and never a rush hour again.

Of course, if Jesus comes back, you'll get left behind his other two cheeks.

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is a great map you have there Johnlodge, where did you get it? And thanks for the info.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4900
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Litte_buddy, there is an archived threads about the salt mines here, Mikem had posted that map previously.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4995
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the salt mine was reopened several years ago, the manager noticed that the back of a door in the office still had the worker's roster with the original miners' names from 1907.

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to get a group of photographers a tour - promptly and not so politely denied.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5004
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't do any tours anymore, due to insurance. They're running a **BUSINESS**.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4910
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like have they have a link on their Web site for Tours. You click on it and it says:

Can I have a tour of the mine?

No.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5005
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are lots of pictures taken already. Why reinvent that wheel? Take pictures on the surface.

Besides, they have their mine-safety reputation to protect. In addition, their mine-safety team took first place honors a year ago in a national mining-rescue contest--the first time they entered.

And no! I have no particulars. But the manager there was very proud of his team. Ask him.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4912
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw all those awards on the site, very impressive.

Sentinel of Safety Award: 200, 2002, 2003, 2005.

From the Mine Health and Safety Administration.

Maybe more, I doubt the site's been updated.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5006
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sentinel of Safety Award: 200, 2002, 2003, 2005.

That award for the year 200 must have been won by their Roman Legion sentinel subsidiary...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4915
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they've taken that out of most history books. One of those things they don't want you knowing about.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.