Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit makes the Forbes top 20! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/ 29/detroit-stockton-flint-biz- cz_kb_0130miserable.html

On Second thought, that is rather depressing

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That list makes me so mad...

Detroit, NYC , Philly and Chicago!!

They all have GREAT Entertainment/Shopping ( not so Detroit) and fun stuff to do!!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2284
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Misery is defined as a state of great unhappiness and emotional distress. The economic indicator most often used to measure misery is the Misery Index. The index, created by economist Arthur Okun, adds the unemployment rate to the inflation rate. It has been in the narrow 7-to-9 range for most of the past decade, but was over 20 during the late 1970s."

At least Detroit is less miserable than in the past!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4894
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If New York is on this list of most miserable cities, I wouldn't take this as an indicator of meaning much about cities. What the hell more do you want from a city than New York? Huge population, low crime rate, culture and entertainment up the wazoo. Give us some of that misery, PLEASE.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The report also draws a strong correlation between taxes and misery. In Canada, I'm happy to pay taxes for Healthcare. In France, the entire country pays a tax to support and maintain the beauty/cultural richness and pristine condition of Paris. They are happy to do it. Maybe if Michigan did the same, Detroit would still be the "Paris of the Midwest."
It's not about paying taxes, it's about getting value for your money.(which brings us back to Kwame).

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting that the top miserable cities: Chicago, NY, and LA are the places young people are flocking to.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 638
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any list that includes the sleepy San Joaquin Valley cities of Modesto and Stockton in with the major players (N.Y., L.A., Chicago) is skewed to start with.

Modesto and Stockton have long commutes because of commuters to San Francisco, and San Jose. They may be miserably boring, but they're halfway between the Sierra and Coast Ranges, beach or Yosemite -- with dry heat and oleander and eucalyptus lined freeways.

Detroit and Modesto? Literally (MI) apples, and (CA) oranges ...

(Message edited by missnmich on January 30, 2008)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4990
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's interesting that the top miserable cities: Chicago, NY, and LA are the places young people are flocking to.

You're misunderstanding the listing.

As in the Big Ten football standings, there are usually only one to three teams ever in contention. The rest are listed because of formality. After all, there are eight to ten other teams to fill the list.

Same with the Forbes list. Only the first three were in any contention. The remaining 147 cities in the top 150 in population had to be included along with the Big Three. It was merely a formality. Or to put in another way: There were two leagues--a major league as in MLB and another (Class AAA and under) minor league. No real, legitimate comparison between being ranked #1 and #4...

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow what a great piece on the city. Ive grown tired of reading these articles pertaining to Detroit mostly because they are meaningless to me. I dont expect the media to offer any assistance in helping with the perception of the city, which is what I'm always hoping for, anything positive but no they bash. FAH-Q Forbes

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4999
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit ranked 150 out of 150 on crime. That's believable, and that also reflects the FBI crime statistics for 2006. The 2007 rankings weren't yet updated on the Wiki the last time I checked.

Some of Detroit's crime rates for 2007 were less than those in 2006. But, Detroit's rankings for crime should not change too much because they were so much higher in 2006 than most of its nearest "competitors."

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't surprise me. Kicking Detroit is great press.

This is why there is a task force being formed (or may already be done) that does crack PR on a regional basis in response to things like this. Most other large cities have such a group.

I was at an event this morning in the Almighty Suburbs(tm) that really hit home the fact that we as a region do not speak well enough of ourselves - we many times are our own enemy and should like ourselves a little better before we expect others to like us.

And part of that is cooperation as the reality is that we are all in one boat - this Forbes article speaks to the entire Detroit region.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 622
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite an interesting article. I could see why most the populous here is very upset/miserbale/sad. Well due to all the manufacturing jobs moving overseas(not just in this state as well), companies cutting jobs, people's disposable income has mostly vanished due to rising utilities & etc, and the way the state is in a recession I could see why. I understand most people on here like to shed a positive spotlight on the city & some of the surrounding areas here. I don't want to sound negative nancy again...me & my girl have been discussing jobs & us moving in and living together. Thing is she currently is unemployed & is having a tough time finding a job in the ultrasound field. Recently she told me she found some one's down in Jacksonville, FL area and is going to apply for them because she desperatley needs a job in that field. I lived in the jacksonville area for about 4yrs when I served in the service, so I know the area & place to go eat, places to go for fun & etc. We might become one of those number of people that have to leave due to financial reasons. It would be great to see the state become more prosperous, but we gotta do what we gotta do to survive and all.

Now back on track about that article. I see their is quite some other cities that have a grumpy factor to them. NYC didn't suprise me due to all the traffic & congestion there. They should include Northern NJ in that list as well.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In Canada, I'm happy to pay taxes for Healthcare. In France, the entire country pays a tax to support and maintain the beauty/cultural richness and pristine condition of Paris. They are happy to do it...It's not about paying taxes, it's about getting value for your money."

That's partly why the Danes are the happiest people on earth. People there are more free to choose any profession as about two-thirds of their income goes to taxes. That also allows that government to pay for nearly every program that people want and need.

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the depression in the 30's a bunch of people left Oklahoma were called "oakies" (usually derisively). They would travel around settling for low paid jobs to feed their families. What would you call the modern version of Michiganders doing the same thing?

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smart?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Michiganders go out of state to find a new job, chances are that it is not lower paying than Michigan would be offering them...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.