Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Bo Schembechler Day proposed in Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 439
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LANSING -- A state House committee on Thursday approved a bill that would designate the date of the University of Michigan's first home football game each season Bo Schembechler Day.

The bill now goes to the House floor.

Seriously? He was a freaking FOOTBALL COACH! Does the government have nothing better to do with their time? Give me a break!

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080131/SPORT S0201/801310471/1131

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Nothing else on the agenda up there in Lansing? Pathetic.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow...glad to see my tax dollars at work when we are in the middle of a single state depression.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He wasn't even that great! his bowl record is awful

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 558
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can have a Bo day as soon as we have a Biggie Munn or a Duffy Daugherty day. At least they can say they won National Championships.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lloyd Carr won one for god sake!

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.5 of one. when he's dead, he can get the morning or the afternoon.

(Message edited by higgs1634 on January 31, 2008)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 917
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can think of 10 State of Michigan icons more deserving than BOnehead for their own day. We're talking about a guy with a terrible bowl record, a really bad demeanor towards other people, and the guy that fired Ernie Harwell!

I can stand the economy and the poor housing market...but if this actually happens, I'm moving out of this state!!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 249
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see having an Ernie Harwell Day but a day for the guy who fired him?

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Yeah, I forgot about that! Screw Bo!

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree he fired a hall of fame broadcaster and even treated Ernie like crap .. the hell with Bo

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta repeat myself. The three most over-rated things in the world are the FBI, the CIA, and UM football.

Not necessarily in that order.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta agree...my blood runs Maize and Blue...but a "day" for a football coach?.good gawd...give me a break...too many idiots in Lansing!

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may have forgotten to list MDNR Conservation Officers?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I am an ardent U of M alum/fan, I would think that if a Bo Day were to be promoted, it would be better served in having it organized by the U of M family, not the State Legislature.
Other wise, there will be a clamor for a Legislative promotion for a Muddy Waters Day and a Marty Morhinweg Day, to make State and Lion fans happy.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schembechler was a small, bitter man, much in the line of the unrepentant bigot, Fielding Yost. UofM is better off forgetting such creeps.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 918
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Because RichRod gives off that warm, fuzzy feeling...

Umtim
Username: Umtim

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the memory of Bo and feel he was an outstanding coach and really made a great contribution to U of M.
But as others have mentioned there are msu coaches who are well regarded and union leaders and captains of industry.
I am surprised to see folks attempt to run him down here. Doesn't seem to flatter the detractor.

Goblue

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mccarch: You go further than I would have..."creep" is truly overstated...but...Bo was far less than the saint he has been made out to be since his death...around A2 he was something less than totally admired and there were few tears shed when he elected to leave the role of coach...to become a pimp for his buddy who owned Domino's Pizza and the Detroit Tigers.

Geo_t
Username: Geo_t

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smells like MSU angst here. Everybody knows Bo was an SOB, but that doesn't diminish his record as a coach, no National Championship or otherwise.

I do think that our state legislature has more important matters to consider than this, however, all things considered. I mean really, come on.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bo was a leader who expected nothing but the BEST from his players. He inspired a lot of people to do things they normally couldn't do... that's what great coaches and leaders do. I don't think he's being honored for his winning record. He is being honored for developing young men.

I'm all for it.

Mccarch

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UofM has historically had a mediocre to bad record of graduating its football players. I wonder what percentage of players graduated during Schembechler's coaching years? I would think that this would be good part of "...developing young men."

Goblue

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mccarch: You are seriously wrong about this one. M's record of graduating athletes far exceeds those of other Big Ten and Level I schools.

Your MSU angst is showing!

Detx

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because a player didn't graduate doesn't mean they weren't "developed". When an NFL contract comes calling, who in their right minds would turn it down for a degree?

When former players talk about Bo they have nothing but the upmost respect for him. And they often commend him for instilling a winning attitude in them.

Mccarch

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UofM graduates about 67 percent of its football players. This is not a good percentage; many Division 1 schools have much better records. It may be a good record in the Big Ten, but the Big Ten sucks at graduating its football players (this includes MSU - why would anyone think that I have "MSU angst"?). Michigan is definitely not "The leader and the best".

So some UofM players who fail to graduate say good things about Schembechler? How about Jim Harbaugh, the former UofM player and present coach at Stanford. He does not have good things to say about Michigan and the perversion of its educational mission - and Schembechler, who was happy to use up his players and not worry if they gained their degrees or not. A creep.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this passes and becomes law, I will make a point of urinating on his grave every Bo-Day!

He took a dump on Ernie, and Paul left the same year. Bo is an asswipe!

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets honor some man who was born in OHIO. Some Michigan man he was!! Plus after what he did to Ernie. Bo Day, what a joke!

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raaaaaawr! I hate Bo! I hate Michigan!

I thought this story was good for a little chuckle, but apparently it's causing many of you to get cramped vaginas over how much you hate Michigan. Relax. Unclench.

Detx

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure there are a lot of former players who have bad things to say about Bo. But they are the exception, not the rule. He was very demanding, but his players expected and wanted that. Similar to Bobby Knight. He's a madman to most normal people, but there are athletes that seek him out because they know he will bring out the best in them.

Jim Harbaugh says a lot of negative things about the program, but he sure had a lot of success when he was a part of it. Certainly he benefited from Bo's tutelage...

I agree that it was wrong and shameful what he did to Ernie. And as far as him being born in OH... yes, I understand the irony in that observation, but it's not good logic to follow. Afterall, President Ford was born in NE and his Presidential Library is in AA, etc...

Right now, I think the State of MI needs to exemplify good leadership as much as it can. We're kinda desperate for that right now...

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the end of the day, he was just a football coach. I'm sure are other people that are much more deserving of recognition by our Legislature if they feel the need to create a "day" for someone.

I just don't see any reason to put someone in athletics at the front of the line. If there was I'd certainly put Joe Louis up there before Bo.

(Message edited by leland_palmer on February 01, 2008)

Detx

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who has ever played organized football and respects the game for its intrinsic discipline, grind, competitiveness, and strategy, knows that a football coach is much more than "just a football coach".

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that can be said for any sport and yet does that warrant a day being set aside for them?

Detx

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not at all, but it does for the exemplar coaches and players. Contrary to the general consensus of the posters on this thread, Bo is HIGHLY regarded in the sports world, if not revered, as one of the greatest coaches (despite his record). If the rest of the country respects his leadership so much, why can't we? Perhaps we should file this one away in the "Fragmented Michigan Culture" cabinet...

Furthermore, I'm a big fan of the Joe Louis "Fist" and that huge poster of Stevie Y (don't know if it's still there anymore).

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our state is broke, its government is a joke. I cant believe they are working on this legislation. I dont care who its is they are honering we just dont have time for this now.
I will say this about Bo, they above posts are from bitter little people, people who never met Bo. I cant believe people are using the phrase hate, kind of pathetic.
One other thing, if people like Bo were in the legislature they would be getting a lot more done then this kind of crap.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 794
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scotty Bowman
Joe Louis
Gordy Howe

You can't single out one exemplary figure, and give him a day in MI - especially if he had half the state routing against him.

At least the others were universally on "our" team.

That said, some of the "anti" comments above are way over the line.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne Fontes. Who didn't like that guy? We can all smoke cigars and celebrate the mediocrity of our own lives one day per year.

Johnfromsaginaw
Username: Johnfromsaginaw

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a proud Central Michigan alum, I'm holding out for a Herb Deromedi Day. Plus, he has the advantage of actually being from Michigan (Detroit, in fact).
John
As always, Fire Up Chips!!

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne Fontes already has a day. It's November 15th.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a Magic Johnson day? Or a Tom Izzo day? Lets celebrate some actual winners. I think I might write Rep Rebekah Warren of Ann Arbor to tell her how much of a waste of time this is.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 428
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's pandering for votes. Whore.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bo did not "fire" Ernie Harwell.
Ernie signed a one year contract (he wanted five years) then called a news conference to say he was fired. Bo was a patsy for Ernie's power play.

But that being said, I still don't think we need Bo Day.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.