Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Toepher park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Memories of the park late 70's

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4507
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocketwhit, welcome to the forum. May I suggest that you fire up your threads by sharing your memory about it ormaybe some of its history or whatever you may know. Isn't Toepher the name for 8 1/2 mile road in the east burbs?

Chefdave
Username: Chefdave

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats my old neighborhood but In the in 80s and 90s. Right down the street from the dodge truck plant.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 914
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We called it MacArthur Park. In the mid 60s they had activities like arts and crafts, pet shows and basketball camp. Great playground equipment, too. They had a killer merry go round and a slide that seemed a hundred feet tall to my 8 year old eyes. That's where my Cox gas powered airplane nosedived and crashed during it's maiden flight. There were no survivors.

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, I think you're thinking of the Park in the Lincoln school district. Not sure what the original post was refering to but I believe it was the Park in the Fitzgerald school district, I lived down the street and yes I hit the bong there, but it's a much smaller park than MacArthur, although I could be wrong.

Chefdave
Username: Chefdave

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fitzgerald is where I went to highschool .

Ed_golick

Post Number: 915
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MacArthur Park at the corner of MacArthur and Toepher in Warren??? Rocketwhit, what park are you refering to?

Someone left the cake out in the rain...

(Message edited by ed golick on February 01, 2008)

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed g
And I don't think that I can take it -- what's the rest?

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again...Oh no

Then a good instrumental comes on and Lou Gordon shows up with his lovely wife Jackie.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 916
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The instrumental is the only good part. Has to be one of the worst songs ever recorded. Seven minutes of torture!

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Friends forgive my fishing line cast without a worm. the toepher park i was reeling for is LOWELL you are the link with the right answer. 8 1/2 mile marker. Toepher was a cruise through hot spot for most extra corricular activities. But it was baseball softball every sunday pickup games. we would play all day long. the picture by the 4th or 5th game was sun burnt shortstop with michleob in hand on shortstop but none the less very entertaining pickup games. Macarthur park had the merry go round if i remember right. I was born downtown D but did live one street south of Toepher on Orchard exactly 2 blocks from the dodge truck plant moved away 1981. First job Sorrento pizza 15 yrs old no liscense yet but i got a job delivering pizza. In those days you did'nt have to show i.d. to get a job anyone remember those days! ROCKETWHIT...

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The street is actually spelled Toepfer. My great-great grandfather's farm was located at the southeast corner of Toepfer and Van Dyke until the area was subdivided around 1920.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you are so right sorry

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.