Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Lifelong Detroiters « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 734
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am proud to say that I am a lifelong Detroiter who has stayed through the good and bad and have endured a lot but see it all in a positive light. I must say that I know there are many more on this forum who have done the same. Why have you stayed? Also what jobs did you have to take in order to stay? Schools? Areas you lived in?

I for one am at least a fourth generation Detroiter who has had his family inhabit the westside for all four generations to my knowledge. Inhabiting Boston/Edison (grandparents, Great grandparents), the Black westside(Linwood/West Grand)(all four generations spent at least part of their lives here), the University District, (where I spent the Majority of my childhood), the upper Southwest side(Me at Cecil and Michigan) and Corktown(me) Midtown (various aunts and uncles). I am a product of what private grade schools are left in the city. Attending 3 and playing basketball at a 4th. I went to Gesu K-3, St. Scholastica from 4-6 and Friends for 7-8. My test scores weren't up to par so I had to go to Shrine for High School but always repped the D the entirety of my years there. For this I was shunned and considered to be an "inside out Oreo" but I like my family before me have stayed true to my roots and Love the D and although times are tough, love my city and take great pride in it. (Minus the Mayor and pretty much the entire city government.)

What are your stories?

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 281
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lifelong Detroiter. Born and raised. The oldest of two boys (one stillborn), a second-generation native of Detroit. Grew up on the east side. Rohns and Lambert, Sylvester and Pennsylvania, Cadillac and Shoemaker, Eastlawn and Southampton, Outer Drive and State Fair (where Conner makes a point), Evanston and Chalmers. I'm an 'urban gypsy' to say the very least (lol). Worked virtually ALL OVER Detroit and its surrounding areas. East side raised, west side PAID to say the very least. I've attended the schools Chandler, Richard, Butzel, Kettering, Golightly, WCCC (Eastern, Downtown, and Northwestern Campuses), and HFCC in both Dearborn and Dearborn Heights. My father came from Pike Rd [Montgomery], Alabama. My grandparents (mom's parents) come from Lancaster, South Carolina, and Youngstown, Ohio.

Started my real 'real' job working for DPS @ age 20. Was hired December 1995, and started working January 1996-and still remain an employee-as a janitor. And I plan to go to engineering school later on this year if the will of God allows it. Other jobs I've worked since I was 15.

As a kid I frequented various parts of Detroit on my bike-I had a lot of energy for a fat kid growing up-from Grosse Pointe to Southwest Detroit from Belle Isle to Eastland. AND didn't even catch a flat! Those would be my fondest memories of Detroit as a teenager. That, and collecting Transformers (which I've recently rekindled).

Originally an artist, now I do amateur photography and post them online. And I use my camera to tell my stories about Detroit. And the stories I have to tell are so legnthy in comparison to what I'm posting here. I love my city, no matter what. Even if I were to relocate back to the burbs, I'd STILL keep my connection to Detroit. To quote Chris Rock: "...rats and all.."

Detroit continues to rise from its ashes, and I'm thankful to be a part of history. This is but a FRACTION of my story. I'll add more at my convenience.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Father come over on the boat in '55, but had other German relatives here from late 1800's, all on the eastside. I iived on Lakewood @ Mack at age two and had really blond hair. This old guy on the block had really white hair and he used to say to me, "hey whitey" to which I replied "hey whitey" right back.

We moved to Bewick, first block off Jefferson in 71. We were the only white family, probably in the neighborhood. I was the only white kid at Scripps Elementary. My father was a minister at a Lutheran Church on St Jean & Charlevoix. We were the only white family there. So one day, a bunch of kids on the block all came over, and when I came to the front door, I was greeted by "hey whitey." Of course, the only response I knew for that was to say "hey whitey" right back at them. After a few seconds of bewildering looks from them and a few seconds of naive blond 4 year old whiteboy smiling at them, Mom went in and made Kool-Aid. Nipped that classic detroit problem right in the bud, and didn't even know it.

Moved to the westside (Archdale & Lyndon, then Archdale & Schoolcraft), went to Edison Elementary (happy-land) then Vetal ( a shithole of a school) and Renaissance.

Grandmont in the 70's and 80's.... wouldn't change a thing. Ideal big city living conditions, tons of kids, a 50/50 mix of black & white, and even thru the 80's recession, tons of hard-working blue collar people, and many solid role models.

We were all paperboys. Even the Young Boys were paper boys. (Butch Jones was "seeing" a classmate's Mom- all three went down on the initial RICO charges for 15) And when a bunch of them came home with blue patent leather Adidas Top Tens, uncles and fathers beat the shit them. (To quote Run DMC-"Fifty dollar sneakers say you got no job") Then they were back to hustlin papers, doing the open routes. I got another job in high school working in the "New Center Manor" a beautiful but rundown apartment building with three story columns and Murphy Beds falling out of the closets, at Woodward & Bethune (now a CVS). I was doing regular maint. & repairs while the paper boy was getting robbed in the basement once a month.

Currently in Hamtramck. I like not having to drive for everything. People let me into there houses all over Detroit to do repairs and restoration. I make it a point to drive skeptical suburbanites to various parts of the city to show them the beautiful blocks, the lead glass windows, the neighborhood architecture, the shuttered factories, and even the downtown abandoned skyscrapers. There's a beauty here, and lots of great stories, but then there's always that stern warning to every other American city..."get your shit together or you'll wind up like Detroit"

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 282
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy, I love your short story. Like 2 know more.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 964
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you, Urbanoutdoors. You deserve a gold star form the Mayor.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I look at the high taxes, insurance (auto and home), garage break-ins, lack of enforcement of quality of life ordinances/crime I sometimes wonder why I have stayed for my 41 years.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 898
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great stories here. Hamtragedy, Peter Vetal Elementary School was a nice neighborhood school when I attended in the early 70s. The triangle shaped playfield behind Edison was cool.

edisonplayfield

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That triangle shaped field was Ramsey Park, and the ballfield had two great danes over the right field fence. If you hit the ball over that fence, the game was basically over. Many of the same paperboys (and the YBI wannabees mentioned above) would get a game or two in before we had to pick up our papers from St. Mary's and Schoolcraft. My route happened to be Rutland (the curved street due east of the park, also in the picture above). the most beautiful street in Grandmont, and the only street that didn't succumb to Dutch elm disease (they were all maples).

Ramsey Park also had a regular Parks & Rec lady who brought checkers, chess, and had other activities for the local kids. Occasionally the "Swim-Mobile" would show up (a converted gravel hauler) which was no more than two feet deep. We all threw up pool-water later that day

You know Urbanoutdoors, I got that same Backward's Oreo comment frequently, mostly on the freight, and mostly complimentary. I realized then that if you can "hold down the back of the bus" in Detroit, you can do just about damn near anything. Then again, I'm still stuck in Hamtragic, livin' the dream!!

(Message edited by hamtragedy on February 03, 2008)

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 840
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not grow up in the city. I am the first generation of my extended family that was born and grew up in the suburbs...Oakland County. As I searched, forced and discovered my roots, I found that with the exception of my father, my family had been part of the city for more than a hundred years. My great great grandfather and great grandfather were Scottish immigrants who came to Detroit thru Canada and owned corner stores in a variety of spots in Detroit and lived in a variety of spots I now call home...like Temple between Cass and Woodward (while my Grandpa was serving in WWII)and then Commonwealth after his return and then Joy Rd. where I visited as a youngster.

I came to Detroit as soon as I had a choice and have been here since I was seventeen years old and have no regrets. This is my town and for better or worse, I love being a Detroiter.

The reason for my post, where I may not have a right to post, is that I am raising children here. Urbanoutdoors and Hamtragedy have struck a chord and I couldn't help but chime in. My children are born and raised in Corktown and attend Burton International. They, like UO, are the only white children in their classes, and according to my observations and standardized tests, are doing exceptionally well. I envision them both attending Cass or RenCen and going on to attend U-M, the best public university in the country.

I just wanted to shout out to a couple of born and raised young Detroiters who are obviously well educated and perhaps even, have a slight edge on the pampered kids. I am constantly under attack from suburban/outstate friends who don't understand why I would "subject" my children to Detroit and what that entails. Never mind that they test in the top one and four percent of all public school children nationwide, but I still wonder if I am doing right by them or making them part of my philisophical and political statement.

The two of you have given me additional hope that I am correct in my thinking and that my children will actually have an advantage, and not a disadvantage, over their cousins and friends from other environments. Thanks for your stories.

Expat
Username: Expat

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Hamtragedy, I delivered papers on Rutland as well! It was the News, ca. 1966-68. I lived over on Abington, south of Schoolcraft, and I remember well my amazement at discovering this neighborhood (Rutland between Schoolcraft and Grand River) that was so close and yet seemed worlds away from where I lived. Visited Detroit recently and amidst a great many changes, those blocks on Rutland seemed barely changed at all.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandmont still tends to fall under the radar. There were parts that were rough, as the block on Archdale just north of Schoolcraft had two heroin dens (one was also a weapons cache, the cops walked out with a bazooka, among several other cases and bags, and we lived next door to the other, much to my parents dissapointment). We would hear "One Nation Under A Groove" till 3 in the morning, and mom and the neighbor would go bang on their door. (Bootsy, with the Star-Bass, is my hero).

But the neighborhood also taught you to be humble. I remember playing basketball in first grade with my buddies Dorsey and Lawrence, who both lived on Montrose, and I was calling them "boy" because everyone else said that. My father heard it, later took me aside and told me that if I wanted to live to a ripe old age, I should probably use the word 'boy' discerningly. He also told me why. I kind of understood.

Edison wasn't short on providing us with information either. We learned what January 15 meant (MLK's birthday), and always knew that Fredrick Douglas' birthday was Valentines Day. The music teacher, one Mrs. Jacobstein, had pictures of Duke Ellington and Billy Holiday, as well as Langston Hughes on the wall. When I hear kids sing "Lift Every Voice and Sing" it still sends chills through me.

Mr. Martin was the science teacher at Edison. A young man who demanded his kids pay attention. He'd bang his class ring on the table and look at you sternly, without saying a word. Someone told me that was a Tuskeegee class ring. He also ran the Safety Patrol. He'd have roll call every morning, and hot chocolate when it was cold outside. He had an hour set aside once a week for the safety patrols and we would play dodge-ball, softball, or kickball. When I see old friends from the neighborhood, either there or about, we always bring up Mr. Martin. Cheers, wherever he is.

Mr. Pringle taught fifth grade. He had long mutton chops like Marvin Gaye. If you were outta line, he'd have you look straight ahead and stick your arms out to the side, then he'd stack books on your hands. If your arms lowered or you looked away, he'd chastise you. But, man, he was funny. He'd drop what he was doin' if he saw a stray dog outside, open up the window and yell "AY, WIGGLES" as if from a passing car.

Edison, on Grand River, that was Happy Land.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 909
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the coolest kids I knew from Grandmont lived on Longacre and his house faced Ramsey Playfield. He was a shy Native American boy with long, straight, jet-black hair that went 3/4 the way down his back. The girls loved him. There was also Eddie, a tall, skinny, dark-complectioned black kid who lived on either Longacre or Rutland (north of Lyndon). And the Smithermans lived on Lyndon at Longacre. Omar Fakir lived on Abington south of Lyndon. All the Edison teachers named are familiar.

Many Grandmont kids traveled on Lyndon Street (or Schoolcraft) across the Southfield Expressway to attend Peter Vetal. At Vetal, some of the teachers were:
Mr. Olson - Shop
Mr. Walsh - Social Studies/Civics
Mrs. Jones - Math
Mrs. Neff - ?
Mrs. Smith - English

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That walk to Vetal from Grandmont was long and grueling, esp. in the rain. My mom actually yanked me out of there after 6th grade, after our class had to write the same sentences 500 times, yet again. She finally told me not to do it. I got expelled. She pitched a bitch (DPS teacher herself), and I spent 7th & 8th grade at a lilly-white, teeny lutheran school in Farmington, which was the exact opposite of everything I had ever known. But we never moved. Thank God for the Neighborhood.

The Smithermans were on Rutland, corner house. Behind them, at the corner of Longacre and Lyndon, was some of the best basketball I have ever seen.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 913
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The walk to Vetal was lengthy for me as well. The short east-west blocks along Lyndon were easy, but the north-south blocks seemed to take forever to span. Did a lot of daydreaming as a young adolescent boy during those walks. My friends and I would usually meet up at the Freed's house on Acacia and Greenview. Then we'd head west on Acacia all the way to Vetal, "cuttin-up" all the way.

We often hung-out at the Freed's after school. Mrs. Freed was one of the nicest Mom's ever. Mr. Freed owned Freed's Auto Parts on East 7 Mile Road near I-75. We tried to form a band - our best tune was the requisite "Smoke on the Water".

Over on the Grandmont side, a few other kids come to mind. Brenda Kraft and Yves and Terry Godwin (brothers). The names Dorsey and Lawrence sound familiar. My mother was casual acquaintance with former Television Newcaster Beverly Payne who lived somewhere near Longacre and Kendall. Beverly Payne was a beautiful person, God rest her soul.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked from Archdale & Schoolcraft to lyndon, because my mom didn't want me walkin' down Schoolcraft, cuz it was gittin nasty. Beverly Payne-Grandmont & Kendall. What happened to her? The Freeds-played hockey at Jack Adams with Ellis. The Jones lived on Rosemont, btw Kendall and Acacia, 4 brothers, all played hockey as well. The youngest, Sean played for UIC (Univ. of IL @ Chicago), in the CCHA, (UofM, MSU, Notre Dame) in the late 80's and early 90's.

Jack Adams stories to follow.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 917
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, WJBK-TV 2 News Anchor-woman Ms. Beverly Payne died of cancer in 1999. Schoolcraft was a busy street for youngsters to cross without a stop-light. The Watts family lived on either Rosemont or Penrod at Kendall. McCoy's lived on Greenview near West Davison. The 2 Traylor brothers lived on the east side of Rosemont, 2nd or 3rd house south of Acacia and went to Cass. Walter "Tat" Daniels lived on Ashton next to Flintstone Park (Rosemont Acacia Playground). Larry lived across the street from him. We played a lot of football at Flintstone Park in the 70s.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on February 07, 2008)

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I commend all of those (few)white people like UrbanOutdoors who have lived all of their lives in the City of Detroit.

Not only have y'all have had to go through the same crap as the black residents - such as increased crime, decline in civic pride/upkeep/city services/public schools, lack of retail, high taxes, etc. - for all of these years, you also had to go through hostility and possibly even discrimination by black residents, and YOU STILL STAYED!
You are brave and open-minded and maybe even foolish. Y'all definitely have major street cred!

Graceful
Username: Graceful

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Histeric: "...but I still wonder if I am doing right by them or making them part of my philisophical and political statement."

As a white female in her mid 20's who was always the only white girl in her classes, I wouldn't have changed a thing about my DPS education. Although I attended a crappy DPS middle school (Barbour Magnet) I went on to Cass and had a great education. I now have a bachelors degree and am studying for the CPA exam. On the flip side, my older sister went to a private high school (BG) and wished she had went to Cass. Also, my younger brother and sister transferred to Harper Woods public schools when we moved when I was in the 10th grade (I demanded to stay at Cass...lol) and were introduced to drugs and other things that I had never even heard of. All of my friends went on to great four year universities and our doing great. The majority of their friends on the other hand, are not doing as great. You're doing the right thing Histeric!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 924
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last 2 posts have me curious. The following questions are specifically directed at those individuals who have had ample opportunity to leave Detroit, but have opted to remain.

1. What motivated you to remain in Detroit proper in spite of all?
2. What type of opportunities have you forgone due to your loyalty?
3. Has it all been worth it (remaining in Detroit), or to put it another way, would you do it all over again the same way?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 743
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. What motivated you to remain in Detroit proper in spite of all? I love the city my family has always had the mentality of "my business is in here so I will stay here, and although the business closed my family has found it pertinent to stay. The most amazing thing I find is that my discrimination did not really come from the black kids of the inner city but actually the white kids from Royal Oak. I did have the occasional african american group of guys who said, Hey Boy you in the wrong neighborhood but nothing more than that. Where as the white kids in royal oak, generalized Detroit, calling it a ghetto, and calling me an inside out oreo because I was the only white kid who felt comfortable enough to really sit in what was considered the black cliques section.
2. What type of opportunities have you forgone due to your loyalty? I recently was frustrated as many of you may have read from the "where are all the jobs?" Blog I started in December. I had an opportunity to start in an entry level position in Chicago when even though I have my college degree I could not find work in a related field. During my search I realized that it is not what I do that I should concentrate on but what I feel a passion for. With that in mind I have put my focus on successful Detroit businesses and although I have the degree I have gone back to my first job, a cashier at University Foods. I must say that although that is my title and pay it is not really my position. My position is more that of a community liason where since 1998 I have helped them gauge the community and was the one that convinced them that Organic products can be sold in the city and that there is a market for them. There is still along way to go with that but they have made great headway in showing that that can work. I also have recently became a truck driver for the Avalon Bakery. Both jobs, I must say have very different dynamics but are worth while experiences. As someone who is very interested in opening up his own business in Detroit the experience and the connections I am making are priceless. One day I will have the job that I want but while the economy is not great it is great to be able to continue to make a difference within the city.
3. Has it all been worth it (remaining in Detroit), or to put it another way, would you do it all over again the same way? Yes it was 100 percent worth it but in retrospect I would only change one thing, I would have studied harder for the entrance exams and made sure I could have gotten into Cass, Renaissance or U of D. I Love my city and would do anything to see it prosper!

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1837
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stayed in Detroit because the majority of my family is here. Because of my profession, art, I have been dogged because I didnt leave to go to NY or some other 'arts mecca'. Detroit has supplied me with love, resonalbly priced studio rent, camraderie, and my family as I mentioned before.

(Message edited by Leoqueen on February 08, 2008)

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni
Post Number: 898

the house i spent my first 5 years in (before the move to farmington) is about 3 houses south of the edge of your map. i would presumably have been an Edison grad; however, my parents decided that farmington public schools would be better than DPS, and unfortunately i have to agree.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Graceful my son graduated from Harper High in 2001 and my daughter in 2005. Both are doing very well. Education is what YOU make of it. Do I know you? We lived on Roscommon.

Graceful
Username: Graceful

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk, I was just trying to make the point that you can get a great education from the DPS system and that my younger siblings were introduced to all kinds of crazy things while attending a suburban school that I had never even heard of. You do not know me. I do not hang out in Harper Woods. But you are right, it is all about what YOU make of it.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep perusing the posts on all three venues (DD, DC, Non-D) looking for some mother’s
milk, as it were. I think I found some on this post. I applaud and agree with all of the above
statements. Mother’s milk meaning, a sustenance against bad things and an invigorating substance
for future growth.
I will tell you where I am coming from. You may or may not agree with my opinions.
First of all, a couple of ground rules. (I drew up the rules.)
# 1. There is no such animal as an EX-Detroiter.
# 2. There are only Detroiter's and non Detroiter's.
# 3. Residency does not automatically bestow the title, “Detroiter” on any one. Residency
only allows you to get your foot in the door. Then you serve your apprenticeship. That might
take a day, a week, a month or twenty years. It is all up to your own attitude. You must earn the
right to the title of, “A Detroiter.”

I have had friends that lived in Detroit for only a few years, and to this day they still
consider themselves to be Detroiter's.
Conversely, I have also had friends that lived in Detroit for many years, and always hated
Detroit.
Am I a Detroiter? You damn well betcha. I will compare stats with anyone.
So what is or makes a Detroiter? There are a number of experiences that contribute to
that title. Things like, “Well, I live there, I pay taxes, I support the local merchants, I support the
local churches, schools, I work there and support the company I am working for, and I could go
on with many other obligations that I adhered to.
The flip side being, all the benefits that Detroit has endowed me with when I was young,
and those that continue to this day, like, my pension for example.
Being a Detroiter is a matter of the heart. It is not like being in a relationship for awhile
and then, not caring for it anymore, you divorce yourself from it. You can’t.
I have additional trump cards that most Detroiter's do not have. I lived through the years
when Detroit was Four Aces. So yes, I am prejudiced, a biased opinion that Detroit was and
always will be, my home, no matter what my address is.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Tponeton
I thought you moved to the U.P.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cal:

Yes, among other residences We have a summer home in the U.P., a winter home in Tucson, but like I keep on saying, Home is where the heart is.
So call me a Detroiter with an * after it.
My nomadic history is as follows:
1928 - Canton Street
Then, Crane,
Bradley
Crane (again)
McClellan
Annott
Garland
Belvidere
E. Nine Mile Road (Warren)
Playview (SCS)
Grayton
Evanston
S. Empire Street (Anaheim, California)
Rosemary (Detroit)
Lannoo
Co. road 442 (Rapid River MI.)
Kolb road (Tucson)
Our granddaughter and great granddaughter live in Oxford and the odds are good that we will wind up thereabouts.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.