Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Trader Joes [ eastside ] « Previous Next »
Archive through February 03, 2008Mackinaw30 02-03-08  11:03 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11316
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct, I meant Kercheval.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is trader Joe's the location where they sell the famous "2 Buck Chuck" wine?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes it is! the Grosse Pointers outta love that!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3732
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice addition to Snootyville!

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 941
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's Snobbyville, Bobj; and don't rip off Danny's euphemism w/o giving the man his due.
:-)

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there today. What a joke of a store. 4 small aisles of nothing special. Nino Salvaggio has more organic items and much better pricing. I spotted a prepacked bag of roast beef 6 very thin slices for $5.25, it didn't even weigh 1/3 lb. With those kind of prices even GPr's won't shop there once the novelty wears off.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 316
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta agree on the size. Went in on Sunday to pick up some stuff for the game. It was mobbed... and I was surprised at how small it was. I expected it to be bigger. Though they were using more of the building. But, I never really thought of TJ's as a main shopping place. More of an odds and ends place. Anyway it was so packed, I just went over to Kroger. They did have a whole wall of cases 2 buck Chuck though.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Trader Joe's on the Eastside...that's enough to make me want to move back...as soon as global warming eliminates any snowfall in SE Michigan.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"as soon as global warming eliminates any snowfall in SE Michigan."

Well come on back, it already has on the eastside!

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a bit small, but it seemed even more so because everyone was checking it out. The patron base is going to be significantly smaller than the Oakland County stores, however, so I can understand that.

Tarkus, do you actually know GP shoppers or just the stereotype that seems so prevalent? It is not just a bunch of bluehairs and trust funds- the majority of the people I know are decidedly middle class, and are just thrilled to be able to buy decent organic or additive free foods for their family without the high cost of a grocery store or wasting gas to drive out to Nino's. The meat tends to be more expensive there, as with Whole Foods, because they actually have standards as to what the animals are fed and how they are treated while alive, so it does make the meat more expensive. Some people don't mind paying more if they know that their chicken didn't come from a farm where it lived its life in a box, covered in its own filth, or had its beak and claws cut off.

Gpcharles
Username: Gpcharles

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that Trader Joes will compete with Farms Market and Village Foods rather than Krogers.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aoife, I lived in GP in the cabbage patch for 8 years. I hope that would give me a little understanding of GP. And if you want great meat or chicken not factory raised then go to Crocker and Harper. The Amish market has grass fed beef and at a very reasonable price. Like $5.99lb for a T-Bone.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go to Crocker and Harper.

Tarkus - I think that's his/her point. They are excited to not have to drive so far for these types of goods. My family has shopped at Mount Clemens Meatpacking as far back as I can remember, but that place is a good 20-25 minutes from the Village.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus, thanks for the tip- If I ever have the occasion to cook red meat I'll definitely check it out. :-)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even the rich like to save a buck, chuck.

The '3.00 buck chuck' Cabernet wine was actually rated as good as many 20.00 wines last year, A best buy.
Winner - 28th Annual International Eastern Wine Competition 2002 Charles Shaw Shiraz
Best Chardonnay at California State Fair Commercial Wine Competition. 2005 Charles Shaw

(Message edited by lefty2 on February 05, 2008)

Goblue

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three buck chuck is a great wine...if you need paint remover...if you don't get a headache from a glass of that crap nothing will do it.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 883
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be a west coast thing for TJ.......but here it is still known as Two Buck Chuck......and the headaches still remain..

Goblue

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It must be the lower transportation costs in CA...here in AZ its three buck...and still the same godawful stuff.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who used to work for the company, the only way "Da Chuck" or "Three Dollar Headache" is tolerable is if you really aerate it and let it breathe for a good 10 minutes, or use it to make sangria. The Cab isn't terrible.

To Tarkus and other people that weren't particularly impressed I'd suggest walking through again when it's a little less crowded. While you might find some of the produce to be a bit pricier, it's usually because it's either preservative free or organic. Check the ingredients as well- I'd wager 95% of the products in the store are made without processed ingredients like partially hydrogenated fats or corn syrup and artificial preservatives. Check the prices on other things. Eggs are a buck a dozen. Organic milk is $5.79 a gallon. Try finding that somewhere else. Their whole philosophy is limiting their offerings to 3000 products and making them the best buy you're likely to find for the quality.

Anyway, the company really hangs their hat on their private labeled products, especially the things that you aren't likely to find other places. They actually have a whole army of buyers that do nothing but trot the globe and find local specialties to try to bring to market. One of my favorites are the Avellanas. They're kind of like hazelnuts, but grow in the Andes and are a bit sweeter.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 3 buck Chuck is alright for starters, but for only a buck or two more you can get better wine.

I like the Egri Bikaver "Bull's Blood" wine. It's a dark red wine from Hungary. One of the oldest continually producing vineyards over there. I think it has a pleasing mellow character, practically no 'bite' like the cheap wines.

Goblue

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three buck Chuck is akin to Thunderbird or Boone's Farm of the 60's...the stuff is awful plain and simple...there is no such thing as a good bottle of wine for "a buck or two" more than 3B Chuck. The absolute bottom line would be a Washington State St. Michelle's...for around $12.00.

Providence
Username: Providence

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Gpcharles that it is more likely to compete with Village Foods or Farms Market. I don’t really care what happens to Kroger, but I do care about what happens to the local markets. Hopefully in the end market share will level out for all. But I’ll have my fist to my head if a local market closes after a chain moves in.

It is refreshing to see another option now that there are six Krogers in and around Grosse Pointe (after Farmer Jack closing and the conversion of stores). Especially around Grosse Pointe Woods – it’s just silly. But then again, they’re all still crowded.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Village foods - $2.99 wines on sale now 3 brands wow

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Trader Joe's is going to absolutely MURDER that Kroger in the Village. That particular Kroger sucks anyhow! Does anyone know if Trader Joe's sells carbonated fruit? I saw something about it on 'Unwrapped' and it's intriguing...

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Chateau St. Michelle's guvartzaminer (I know I spelled it wrong) . . .any how, they have a great Moscato as well.

If you have the chance to visit Washinton, visit the Chateau St. Michelle Winery in Woodinville about 20 minutes outside of Seattle, it's gorgeous, and they give a great tour.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gewurztraminer.

That Kroger store on Kercheval used to be a dump and it sounds like it still is.

I haven't been over to the cabbage patch literally in years. When I lived there, I used to shop at the Yorkshire Market on Mack, which had the coolest faux alpine wine cellar, and at the Sprout House. There was also that good yellow brick market in the Park whose name I forget. (Once when I was buying a box of kosher salt there the check-out clerk said "Wow, that's a lot salt. What are you going to do with all that salt?")

These places still around?

Alley

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mueller's Market on Kerchavel between Beaconsfield and Lakepointe.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also worry that long time family owned stores will lose. Add Muellars, Yorkshire Market and the Sprout House to the list of stores that might be affected.

Alley

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe Fairfax Market, too

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe I forgot Fairfax. For those not familiar with GPP, Fairfax Market is smack in the middle of a residential area called the cabbage patch. Gus is the owner, his wife works there and I think her sister. He hires neighborhood kids to do stock etc. He is on the edge of the affluent part of GPP. He serves that clientel as well as the poorer part of the Pointe with equal good will. Not too many stores around like Fairfax. Just as a historical note: the cabbage patch area's name has nothing to do with "poor" or renters... It was really a community garden for French ribbon farmers. You guessed it. They grew cabbage.

The French had many community gardens and /or communal agricultural joint ventures. Belle Isle was originally called Couchon D'ille, pig island. Sorry if I misspelled the French. Belle Isle was a communal pig farm where the pigs could forage freely for the bennefit of the community at large.

Pgn421

Post Number: 398
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

went to TJ ,picked up my free bag, the place was deserted, the fad might be wearing off

Goblue

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golden: Thanks for the advice about the St. Michelle's winery tour...was in Seattle for several days last fall but didn't know about it...darn! Oh well, next trip. They make a nice wine of every variety at a reasonable price. Discovered their chardonnay when I was living in Anchorage in the late 80's...I think it was about $5-$6 a bottle in those days.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kroger's in the Village is a real nice store actually, with a newly redone big beverage area. It's very well run and definitely will not go anywhere, but will lose some revenue. Competition may bring in more customers for all business in the area.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Lefty, I love that Kroger store in Grosse Pointe. It's one of the nicest I've seen. The only annoying part is how small the store size is.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plan a while ago is that it will enlarge to the parking lot in the back, I don't know what the status is now thought

Aluminum
Username: Aluminum

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plan to build a new Kroger on "Lot 2" (behind Caribou and Starbucks) is not going forward. A different development was chosen. Also, from what I last understood, the new beverage side was granted on a temporary basis. I do not know if that has changed since the city decided not to go with the Kroger Lot 2 developer.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2130
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A;though we patronize the Mack Ave store of Kroger's as it is much closer to us, I still commend the Village store for providing a large amount of baked goods at least two days of the week that is furnished to and collected for Crossroads. I have volunteered many times for the Thursday morning pick up, and they have been very good supportive of Crossroads. Thank you Village Krogers, your contributions are very much appreciated.
If the new Trader Joe's wants to get on the band wagon, more power to them.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trader Joes will do well. And for pricing, the Organic Milk in half-gallon size is cheaper than Kroger. Not to mention other things like Ezekiel Bread. TJ price: 2.99, Kroger price: 3.79. It's definitely a niche store, but look at it's success out west.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live in LA, where Trader Joe's grew up. Excellent niche store. But, Kroger's owns Ralph's supermarket which is huge in LA and believe me, it knows exactly what it is doing. Both should do well.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just have to say that there is nothing more tacky than showing up at a party with two buck chuck. My wife and I had a party a few months ago and we got stuck with a bottle of the foul stuff. We ended up marinating it with some beef.

Goblue

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granmon: Amen to that! Anyone who showed up at this house with a bottle of that rotgut would never be invited back. Marinating or cooking are truly its only uses.

Alley

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the only good Kroger in the area is on 8 & Harper, the rest are sort of nasty and don't have nearly as much stocked

Pgn421

Post Number: 416
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mongolian BBq left Grosse Pointe. GPers didnt like that!

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was totally put off by the GP Trader Joe's. The parking structure is cumbersome and the selection of products pales in comparison to the Royal Oak location. I'm anxiously awaiting the new market on Woodward so I can keep my dollars in Detroit.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm anxiously awaiting the new market on Woodward so I can keep my dollars in Detroit."

I heard TJ's wouldn't bite for that location.

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we talking about the same place?

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/zaccaros12708.aspx

Dissaver
Username: Dissaver

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kroger on Kercheval is a horrible store with one of the most pathetic produce sections around...oh, and dont forget the sewer positioned in front of the doors which stinks really really bad.

As for Trader Joe's, it seems nice, albeit small, and not much produce. While it is expensive, and in Troy, Whole Foods is still the best option I have found for a full service grocery store.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mongolian BBq left Grosse Pointe. GPers didnt like that!

It was a knockoff of the BD's chain (called Mongolian Grill...or something) not very good, and badly run. I much prefer the Beaners that replaced it.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still drive out to Woodward and 13 (or whatever) to go to Trader Joe's. I love the East Side and prefer to do my shopping there, but the Village is too hard to visit. Slow and annoying drivers, everything is too expensive and everything closes before I can get there. There are also a lot of cops who don't like my aggressive driving style.

And yes, that Mongolian Grill was really so-so.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4451
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a pretty accurate assessment of the Village haha.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are any of the other developments in the Village going forward. I know that Sterling place shut down, but it seems I saw where the other two were still on? Just wondering.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4452
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to go back and get updated on timetables, but there are two approved buildings to be built straddling St. Clair north of Kercheval. If I recall, the financing was lined up. It will be a 4 or 5 story condo building with first floor retail on the east side, and a 3 story garage with first floor retail on the west side.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.