Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » WDETs "Detroit Today" NOT cut in half. » WDET Detroit Today cut in half « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 640
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wdetfm.org/

Seems like next week WDET is cutting Craig Fahle's show, "Detroit Today" in half and replacing it with another national feed, DemocracyNow.

DemocracyNow is a fine show, but it isn't about Detroit. Craig Fahle has done a great job picking up where Quinn and Matt started. He has given the show a balanced perspective and a rational voice in a cluttered and fractious medium.

Detroit Today, from two hours to one. Shit. Doesn't seem right.

To see the proposed change click on their DemocracyNow link and go to shedule.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think its a great show too, but its gotta be a huge pain in the ass to fill up two hours a day, 5 days a week with detroit-centric topics.

no offense to craggy, but i think its a great idea :-)

what will replace democracy now at 8? my hope is that ed love will regain some of his old slot

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 962
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't it be great if DET went back to its old programming? I would go back to listening in again. Its just plain BORING…

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to threadjack, but does anyone know why the Detroit radio market is as terrible as it is? If you go to virtually any other major radio market in the country you'll find a lot more variety on the radio.

Gnome

Post Number: 642
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, it would have been great if all those music lovers actually contributed, but alas despite years of pleading, most rarely did.

Michael Coleman, for all his faults, knew how to get the phones to ring.

One of those good ideas was/is Detroit Today and after some early stumbles, Craig Fahle has done an outstanding job of presenting relevant issues to the public.

The issue in front of us is, again a Detroit show is fading away in favor of a non-Michigan voice. I have nothing against Amy Goodman but she isn't local and we need local voices.

I thought we learned that this past week.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to see a combination of the old WDET with some of the new WDET. Detroit Today is a great program. I also find myself tuning into the news programming on the drive home more and more. But, certain programs I just can't stand. I also really miss the music programming. A lot.

I really don't care to hear 20 minute stories about the hardships of some impoverished villager in a country halfway around the world. But, to each their own.

Rugbyman - Are you sure this is still the case? I feel like the radio implosion we are facing here is part of a nationwide trend. It sure doesn't make it any better, though.

Gnome

Post Number: 643
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Wazoo, there are some programs that are like ballpeen hammer to the skull. In particular the shows with a really narrow focus or political ax to grind.

Diane Rheam is like chewing aluminum foil.

The central problem is cost. It is cheaper to pipe in a syndicated program than staffing an original show. The thing I can't figure out is why Detroit or Michigan is rarely a source for a syndicated program. Last one I recall was actually the Denis Wholley show on Channel 56.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 309
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Glenn Haege and Mitch Albom are widely syndicated. I know Paul W. Smith substitutes for Rush Limbaugh, though I don't know that his regular show airs outside of WJR.

There was some talk years ago about Drew & Mike expanding beyond Detroit, but I doubt that'll ever happen (who knows if Drew will even return). Actually, one of my favorite things about non-syndicated radio is the local flavor it maintains.

I hear a lot of talk about XM - and I have it, but I just don't see it as the 'next best thing'. The audio quality is lousy and the selection just isn't that great. Sure, there are a lot of stations, but their individual playlists are often no greater than traditional radio. I've heard better on-air talent on Alpena radio.

My wish list: Bring back WDET of 5 years ago (I miss Judy, Chuck, John Penney), 97.1 of 3 years ago (Gregg & Michelle, Deminsky & Doyle - WITH Captain Rick Jagger), WRIF of 10 years ago (Drew & Mike in their prime). Bring back the old non-sports WXYT (Glenn Haege's original home), with local hosts like that crazy Mark Scott and syndicated programs like Tom Leykis (in the evenings, not in the morning hours).

About the only thing I'm happy about is that we have a classical station back - WRCJ gladly accepts the donations that I used to give to WDET.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazooty, I have Sirius, and the audio quality on that is much like that of cd audio. I think the station line-ups are pretty much the same, but I happen to enjoy the on-air personalities I get with Sirius. If you are unhappy with XM i would recommend checking out the Dogstar

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 991
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, celebrating Detroit isn't the focus of 'DET. I worked there for twenty years and weathered many programming storms, but the Det focus always remained prominent.
In hindsight, I can see WDET's devolution taking place - reducing the number of programs from nearly five dozen to a much smaller number; changing the mindset from 'community radio' to 'NPR'; and becoming much more ratings-conscious.
It's become more of a fast food radio - programs selected from a generic menu with little local seasoning (The overall quality of the national stuff is good).
Perhaps a local focus doesn't mesh well with a 21st century worldview?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SO Happy about Democracy Now at that time. Great show.

I think an hour is enough about Detroit. It seems like there is a struggle to fill up the full two hours. Having said that...I'd be pissed if they got rid of his show entirely, which, at least to me, this move heralds. Don't particularly like Craig Fahle, but we need a show like his dedicated to Detroit issues.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Democracy Now is a show whose very name is an oxymoronic dilemma.
The show is subsidized by taxpayers and donations via their begathon. Conservatives who hate the show and wish it were off the air, and by liberals who want free speech at the expense of others.

Yet NPR who likes to can shows at will because it does not fit their idealoque liberal mold also wants a show to get enough listeners to donate.
They usually cannot the money they want because most people who have a job do not want to contribute to things they disagree with.

So 1)The show they promote is not 'Democratic' at all.
2) The 'Now' is irrelevant because their agenda is to change opinions so you will vote for a democrat.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDet is on a self destructive path.I feel bad for my pals who work there. The station is terrible and they have trouble meeting pledge goals. Detroit Today is a good show. Keep it for 2 hrs

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DET sucks... that outpost of original music and the avant garde is completely gone now.

NPR sucks.

If you are looking for a bit of the old magic, listen to Chis Felcyn's Listening Room on WRCJ on Sundays when he hosts a plethora of good, diverse music.

or listen on the web: http://wrcj909fm.org/ondemand/ listening_room/ondemand.htm

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY PEOPLE...

Did ANYONE think to ASK ME if any of this is true?

IS IT POSSIBLE that the folks at Democracy Now haven't updated their website since we MOVED THE SHOW OUT OF THE 11:00 SLOT ALMOST A YEAR AGO????

Nothing is happening. The show is STILL ON FROM 10 to NOON MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.

DO SOME RESEARCH NEXT TIME BEFORE POSTING STUFF.

And yes, I am shouting.

Sincerely,

Craig Fahle, aka Craggy

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

calm down homey, no need to get your pantaloons in a bunch! You should be happy people listen to your show and actually care sbout it being on.

Craggy

Post Number: 305
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku.

I do appreciate that people listen. Very much so. This group here in particular has been incredibly supportive, and for that I am most grateful.

That said...rumors are not a good thing. WDET is not cutting the show in half. Look how people get all worked up without checking to see if its even true.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc,

I had Sirius for a long time; the programming is good but the audio quality is nowhere near the quality of a CD. In fact the sound quality on both satellite radio company's streams is downright bad.

Sirius encodes its stream somewhere around 35 kilobytes per second (You'd be hard-pressed to find a web stream with a bitrate that low). A CD on the other hand is encoded somewhere around 1,380 kbit/s, while a good MP3 is encoded at 320 kbits/s.

Part of the reason I canceled my subscription to Sirius was the horrendous sound quality.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is good news. Sometimes Amy Goodman can annoy me as much as Rush Limbaugh.

Detroit Today is awesome, keep up the good work DET.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back Caryn Mathes :-D

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For sure. Thanks for a great show Craig. I know you've done a show on the dequindre cut but has one been done on the midtown loop? Its a project I've been eagerly awaiting and have no idea what the status is. I may have just missed the shows but I think it would be great if Detroit Today did a once a week brief overview of some of the less notable stories such as those covered on Model D.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 533
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good news. Discretion is the better part of being a trusted authority.

Craig, a minor suggestion, get a podcast feed in iTunes so I can listen when I miss you at 10a because I have a meeting or something (that darn "work" thing I have to do). If I missed the feed and it's already up, I apologize.

I think you'll reach a lot of people pretty cost-effectively. It works for NPR national and I would think it would work for you :-) You could even add an underwriter separately just for the podcast feed as another revenue opportunity and it's a small amount of additional work as you already have an MP3 of the show.

I don't know jack about the WDET financial situation, but if anything this thread has reminded me that I do need to send my relatively meager donation next week online and do my part.

Your show, Craig, embodies what public radio should be about. There should be a Philadelphia Today and a Chicago Today, etc. in those markets as you've set a gold standard for local news.

Craggy

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DViz...

thanks. we are working on the podcast thing.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The final straw for me to stop listening to WDET was having to put up with Amy Miller in the mornings. She is awful! She can't mispronouncing words, or just plain saying the wrong thing. How can anyone take them seriously when you have to listen to her bumble through the morning news. I now either listen to WWJ for the news, or WRCJ for music. WRCJ seems to continue to add more and more program highlighting the local music and arts scene, and it is great to have Chris Felcyn and The Listening Room back. Speaking of Chris Felcyn, his "Symphony Bowl" program tomorrow has been picked up by Public Radio International for national broadcast.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.