Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Edmore Street « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any memories of Edmore St., Or of the surrounding 7 and 1/2 mile area between Gratiot and Schoener(Eastside), from the 50"s,60"s,or 70"s?

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edmore was part of our neighborhood that my friends in the late sixties and early seventies called the "Ruts". The Ruts were bounded by Eight Mile, Seven Mile, Kelly Rd. and Hayes (sometimes extended to Gratiot). The Ruts got its name from the ruts that car tires would make after a heavy snow when the city would not plow the side streets. Since we had to drive through these ruts, we would call it "driving the ruts."

E.G. "What are you going to do tonight?"

"I'll probably just drive the ruts." (looking for friends or some kind of action)

Eventually, we called the whole neighborhood the "Ruts" year round.

E.G. "She lives in the Ruts on Edmore. She's not from the Ruts. She's from East Detroit."

We were a large close knit group of friends that tended to hang out at McGregor School and other places in the Ruts.

Edmore was in the nicest part of the Ruts, along with Bringard, Collingham, and Carlisle. The houses tended to be newer, nicer, and bigger than other parts of the neighborhood. Many cops and fire fighters lived there because of residency requirements. It was the closest they could get to the suburbs while still actually living in Detroit.

Jokerman

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living_in_the_d: As I reread your post I realized that you were referring to the area west of Gratiot and I discussed the area east of Gratiot. Sorry that it did not exactly meet your needs. I hope that you still found it interesting.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now why can't Detroit neighborhoods be like that these days Jokerman?

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Jokerman, Thats cool that you shared that Man. I still going to hold out hope that someones still left who lived there and would glance at D-Yes from time to time. Oh, and by the way, this side of Edmore also had the all the DPD and Fire guys living here.

Jokerman

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kslice:I don't think any neighborhoods in any cities are like that anymore.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Right On, Jokerman.

Jokerman

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump to the top: I'm sure that there are other people from the "Ruts" here or from the Gratiot and Eight Mile neighborhood. Let's hear from you.

P.S. I'm wearing my Lions' gear to the Super Bowl party today. That might be the closest the Lions get to a Super Bowl in my lifetime. It's been a long time since 1957.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, J-Man is right. both about the neighborhood and the Lions. Anyway, Happy SuperBowl Everybody!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to school at McGregor Elementary on Edmore in the late 70's and early 80's, does that count?

Jokerman

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72: That counts, but you are a little younger than those of us that hung out there in the late sixties and early seventies. Maybe your dad and mom drove the ruts.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 656
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman, that may be possible, however, they grew up at Harper and Van Dyke. I'll ask if they drove the ruts their.

BTW, at 7& Gratiot, we were forced to drive the ruts during the blizzard of 76. Come to think of it, we had ruts most winters in the 70's and early 80's.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free Paczkis to anyone that lived there in the 60"s and 70"s that is willing to share their experiences about the neighborhood. (Sorry, thats the best I could come up with,It"s early).

Jokerman

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was an awesome neighborhood. There were so many large families with many kids. That's why we had just a large group of friends. Favorite memories include: swimming and baseball at Heilman park, playing football on the island of Eight Mile Road, riding our bikes and later driving our cars through the neighborhood (The Ruts), staying our very late on Halloween, staying out late every warm summer night because we didn't have to worry too much about crime, delivering papers, hanging out at the paper station, Notre Dame HS Dances, Dunken Burger, Top Hat, White Castle, The Dog House, hitching on cars in the winter, Devil's Night (before it became destructive and violent), and so much more.

I could go for some paczkis. the closest we have here in San Diego are Mexican Churros.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 409
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J.Stone - Mcgregor Elementary - Kindergarten 1979.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Put J-Man, I think You summed it up for Everyone else who"s wondering what this thread is all about. It looks like were the Sole survivors. Bummer about the paczkis, E-mail Me next year and I"ll send You some.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My great uncle John Bodwick(Badinavac) lived on Edmore. He was a widower, his wife died in the 60s and he lived in a brick ranch on Edmore until 1996. I think he worked at National Broach with my grandfather. I remember helping my grandmother run the garage sale in 94. Seemed like a nice neighborhood although by 94 it had transitioned, remember going to Schaivi's restaurant on 8 mile as kid. Good stuff

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3824
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Dog House. What a great place! Although I didn't live around there, my grandparents did... on State Fair just east of Gratiot. My grandfather's real estate office was on Gratiot, about four buildings south of State Fair, for years. When I was a kid, me and my brothers used to enjoy wandering through the used car lots on Gratiot, just to see all that old iron. I used to walk to Novara Market, too.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I might as well throw in shopping at Arlens, Refco, going to Sammy"s Barber Shop for a haircut and seeing the "New" movie "West World "at Cinema City. Good Times.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and I almost forgot, "Wizards" arcade across from Schaivi"s, at the height of Pinball mania.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, one more thought, nights and weekends, We would go to Seven and Gratiot, and peruse the items at such legendary stores, such as Federals, Montgomery Wards, S.S Kresge and of course Sanders. Anyway, this ties it all in with the H.O.F. thread "7 mile and Gratiot" so, as they say, thats-thats.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J.Stone - Mcgregor Elementary - Kindergarten 1979.
______________________________ ___________________

Hey J. Stone, we both went to McGregor at the same time, although in 78-79 I was in 1st grade, Mrs. Irene's class.

(Message edited by detroitej72 on February 05, 2008)

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband went to Burbank, he lived on Novara and then on Lappin right by hayes. I lived there also from 1975 to 1977. the Parakeet bar, Revco, and swimming at heilmans too He always talked about "The Mcgregor Boys" they were the rough necks!

Detroitej72

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Summertime1,

I went to Burbank, and lived at 14738 Novara, from 1973 until 8/1/89...

Then moved to Lochmoor, in Harper Woods with me mum and dad in fall of 89.

I Bought a house in Detroit, on University, at Chester and Harper in 95...

______________________________ __________________

My mother used to work at Supreme Drugs at Hayes just south of 7 mile.

On Saturday mornings, we would have breakfast at "VI and Gabe's,(i.e., the coney island) at the coner of Fordham and Hayes.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 660
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Summertime1,

Any memories of the old Parakeet bar, and Revco?

I remember Revco had a basement, I used to be scared of it!

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitj72 when i used to go to the Parakeet the owners were Lebanese people who also owned the coney island next door. I remember the big booths that you could sit at. Vi and Gabe's it was called "7mile Lunch" they were known for their serbian omlettes!! Vi would always say "Do you want a pickle" i loved that place What great memories. I lived on Fordham and kelly, righ behind the Tropical fish store. Talk about "RUTS"

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, you know, I had forgotten about Revco"s basement. My Mothers friend worked there for like 20 years, so I know I must have been there a million times.

Jokerman

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone mentioned the McGregor Boys and said that they were "roughnecks". I knew most of the McGregor Boys. They picked up the name in the early to mid-sixties and most were pretty tough. The name stuck around for many years. Eventually, anyone who hung around at McGregor Park claimed to be a McGregor Boy. Even the local softball team that played at Heilman was named The McGregor Boys.Unfortunately, many of these guys have passed away for one reason or another.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.